Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reception and Cocktail Hour Food Issue HELP

just found out recently my fiance has diabetes....we are both from 2 different heritages/ethnic backgrounds and want our food selections at our reception to represent that (we are planning buffet style with variety in foods) but now that she is diabetic i am worried how this will affect her..  she does not take insulin but is on oral medications..  how can we have the food we want at our wedding but still make it ok for her to eat it..  can she just compensate by watching what she eats before and directly after our wedding really really carefully??  anybody have any experience with this?

Re: Reception and Cocktail Hour Food Issue HELP

• Options
    I know that diabetes can be a tough diagnosis, and I think that it might be really helpful for your FI to get some counseling with a nutritionist or a diabetes educator to better understand the effects of different food choices on her body.  That would be helpful for both wedding food planning and in general.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Your fiance needs to get counseling and read all she can on what her diet should be.

With the exception of desserts and candy, all the diabetics I know have fairly normal diets. It doesn't limit where they eat out or even whether they can attend dinner parties, etc. They might have trouble with sweet sauces, like glaze for ham and some barbeque sauces, though.

So, for cocktail hour and dinner, there really shouldn't be any issues. She needs to talk to her healthcare professionals about how to go about eating cake. Maybe she can just have a bite. Maybe she can have a whole slice if she designs everything else around that goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_reception-cocktail-hour-food-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5490aec0-bf4c-4bc4-b3a9-62fe99bb6262Post:6abe01ca-1a79-4bda-9f73-5c0528b11b70">Re: Reception and Cocktail Hour Food Issue HELP</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your fiance needs to get counseling and read all she can on what her diet should be. With the exception of desserts and candy, all the diabetics I know have fairly normal diets. It doesn't limit where they eat out or even whether they can attend dinner parties, etc. They might have trouble with sweet sauces, like glaze for ham and some barbeque sauces, though. So, for cocktail hour and dinner, there really shouldn't be any issues. She needs to talk to her healthcare professionals about how to go about eating cake. Maybe she can just have a bite. Maybe she can have a whole slice if she designs everything else around that goal.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

<div>Carbohydrates are also an issue for some people with diabetes.  I really think this is a question for a medical professional, not strangers on the internet.  </div>
  • Options
    Good point, jessica. As my family adjusts to wheat, rye, and oat allergies, I don't think about meals that revolve around carbs anymore. So much easier to do what everyone should do anyway and just serve lean meats and vegetables.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards