Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Venue lists

Since I'm having so much fun looking through the photographer list below, I thought it might be fun to do venues as well (plus, it might be helpful in general).  What venues do you find fabulous/unique/quirky/cost effective?  Of course, extra credit for liks in post.

Re: Venue lists

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't heard of 413 On Wacouta until recently, but it looks really cute!
    http://www.413onwacouta.com/home.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Como Zoo and our Recepton is there as well.

What I found cool and unique is we have the option of renting an animal.  We are having a penquin come to our cocktail hour

my planning website:
    http://kellyluke.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm always a fan of the Mill City Museum. 413 on Wacouta is great too.

Walker Art Center
    McNamara Center
    Landmark Center
    Univeristy Club downtown St. Paul
    Women's Club
    St. Anthony Main
    Chambers (used to be Red White and *ucking Blue Room)
    Five Event Center
    Cedarhurst Mansion
    Blaisdell Manor
    Summit Manor

Polichik is having her reception at a great bar/restaurant that is slipping my memory now.

Zuma Zoom
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're gettin' hitched at the Little Log House Prairie Center in Hastings.

Ceremony in Sylvia's Garden and reception in the Village Hall. It's pretty frackin' cute. :)
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My venue is the Town & Country Club in St. Paul. However their website has no pictures and I think you have to be a member/employee to have a wedding there. I wish there were pictures posted because it is gorgeous inside and out!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Varsity Theater (woot woot) is definitely quirky/unique/fabulous. (Cost-effective? I'll let you know next autumn.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Link to the Minneapolis Bio for a bigger list.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Little Sweetie: I've found the Minneapolis Bio to be VERY slow in updating (I submitted my reviews twice, once over 6 months ago and then again fairly soon after my wedding last month, and none of mine have shown up yet).  Any idea what's up with that?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's a volunteer activity that takes (TONS OF) time, and it's not always my first priority like mod duties are here (along with getting married, moving, and having a FT job). 

There are still lots of venues and other vendors listed there, and it's still a great resource.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS that reminds me of:

• Options
    MrsKizdoodleMrsKizdoodle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our officiant has a lot of great venues on his website! :-)

http://www.mnweddingminister.com/OtherSites.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is Jaimes57 still doing it with you LS?

I know it is a ton of work, and it is a great resource as you've said. I think it is just harder to relate to older reviews because the more current knotties don't know whether the bride giving those past reviews share their same sense of taste etc.

Do you need help with it? I'm always down to contribute. :)

Zuma Zoom
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry Smo, you and I both know that wouldn't be very appropriate, but I do appreciate the offer.  Jaimes57 does the date list / TK old school bio, I do the Google Pages one.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not quite sure how it would be inappropriate. If there were two people doing it, there would be a checks and balances type of system, there shouldn't be an issue.

Also, the Minneapolis bio is not affiliated with the Knot, so the Knot rules don't apply to it, no?

Zuma Zoom
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Doesn't the bio just link to other bios for the reviews?  Not to get into a debate, but I don't see how it would be inappropriate either (especially since it's not offiliated with the Knot).  She's just helping to create a list.

In any event, I'd be willing to help out, too, if needed.  I work through a temp agency and my current project ends tomorrow, so I'm about to find myself with some free time.

Keep up the good work LS, we all know it's a volunteer job and personal lives keep everyone busy.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Smo, I don't really think you want me to post why it would be inappropriate - you already know what I'm referring to (and it's not that Smo's not affiliated with TK).  If you really want me to spell it out, I can, but then there would be repercussions (like banning) since that's the rule that's enforced around here when that type of information gets out.  KWIM?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand the rules for the Knot, but I don't think that you saying what you're not could get me banned. I'm not saying it, and I'm not suggesting that would have anything to do with me helping with the Mpls Bio.

It was an offer of help. You mentioned that you have a lot on your plate. Again, I understand if you're busy. Maybe it's best to take Heather up on her offer.

LS - YPM

Zuma Zoom
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to echo hkiesling's comment about the Mpls Bio -- I don't recognize most of the Knotties listed! (And some of the links are broken.) I know it takes a lot of time, but I would love if someone would take on that project in her free time!
     Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to bring this back to the venue list.  We are having our ceremony and recpetion at the Wabasha Street Caves.  Super fun and HUGE!! Not to mention the number two most haunted spot in MN.  Maybe we will have some guests we didn't know we invited :)

The bar is 60 feet long!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Minikahda Club on Lake Calhoun. PIB. LOVE IT!

Also, I was just at 413 on Wacouta for the Cass Gilbert 150th Birthday, and it was a great space! Kind of dark, but the colors are GORGEOUS for a fall wedding. We loved it!

I always wanted to have my wedding in a backyard somewhere. FI hated that idea, but I love backyard weddings.

In my dream wedding, I would have a "reception" at a fabulous restaurant, like the Capital Grille. 
  • Options
    bmflowers18bmflowers18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Heartwood Conference Center & Retreat

http://www.heartwoodconferencecenter.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicollet Island Pavilion, amongst others:
    http://mintahoe.com/go/venues

Also:

Don't forget about Bellagala's Vendor Fetch:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I absolutely fell in love with Uppercut Boxing gym in NE mpls. I will rave about this place up and down. It really was our dream venue, unfortunately, we really wanted to do a Friday night, and being that its a boxing gym first, it didn't work well with our timing, and seemed like it would be a lot of stress for us with timing it, so we ended up with another location, that we also love, Old Arizona Theater.

Uppercut boxing gym was totally unique and industrial, funky and stylish. Awesome space (converted warehouse)... you can get married in the Boxing Ring (we wanted to do a whole "Friday Night Fight Night" theme to our invites...), and there is a cool courtyard attached for warmer months. Check this place if you are look for a totally unique experience. http://www.uppercutgym.com/ (click on gym tour for photos of space set up for event)

Old Arizona theater is also awesome, a fun sort of western vibe theater, also with a nice little outdoor courtyard. Its quaint, but they are very flexible with the space, and its very easy to customize, so you can really make the space be what you need it to be to fit your style.  The women who own it are so kind and warm, and we are very excited this place will be a part of such a special day for us.  http://www.oldarizona.com/index.php

My Married Lady Bio
    FOR SALE ITEMS Wedding Countdown Ticker

I got married on Friday the 13th!
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at the Historic Concord Exchange in South St. Paul.  It's absolutely gorgeous!  And it's actually the least expensive (not counting the food, though that's VERY reasonable) that we have looked at.  I'm from Cottage Grove, so finding a venue that is close enough to the church but still budget friendly was a challenge.

The pictures really don't do it justice, and they are converting from a night club to a 100% reception hall/banquet hall at the beginning of 2010.  It has the old-world charm with the most spectacular woodwork... and that's before they start doing the resoration!  It has 15 hotel rooms available for the WP (we're using 408 - it's a HUGE corner room).

They don't have pictures of the hotel rooms up yet, but it's absolutely fabulous.  High ceilings, TIN ceilings, woodwork, nooks and crannys everywhere... it's wonderful.

http://www.historicconcordexchange.com/
  • Options
    rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are at the Depot in Mpls... love everything about it- but specifically the fact that hotels are attached, so no one has to drive :)

Thats great to hear about the concord exchange... I actually have always loved the look of that building but just felt odd that it was a nightclub that I have gone out to before :) So nice to hear they are going to 100% event space!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards