Honeymoon Discussions

First Time in Cancun

What to know, what to do?  Transportation, currency, beware of... etc.  Fill me in!

Re: First Time in Cancun

• We used CancunTransfers.com to get from the airport to the resort. 

Are you staying in Cancun itself or just the area? We were farther down the coast, so we decided to go to Xplor and Xel-Ha. There are both very different but very amazing parks. 

In general, behave like you would in any city. Don't leave money laying around, don't boast about how much cash you're carrying, etc. Keep an eye out. 

We used US Dollars for every transaction we had in Mexico, except for a few things we put on our credit card. No one turned us down.
  • cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    Will you be staying in a resort? Most resorts will have a little station or an employee that can help you plan your trip and excursions. Many of them will pick you up right at the resort, so you don't have to arrange transportation. When we went on our Mexican honeymoon, we didn't plan any excursions until we got there.
  • Where are you staying?

• Our airport transfer was through Olympus tours, they were really great and had a satellite office at the resort.  Maybe see who your resort is affiliated with.

We used mostly US currency, occasionally our amex card, and pesos where we got them as change.  We went down with some bigger bills and or resort was able to exchange them for singles and fives for tips when we needed.  The conversion is about 12-13 pesos to a dollar depending on the exchange rate.

Tequila in duty free at the airport was cheaper than anywhere else we could find.  I recommend trying the tequila cream at some point. . . it's like Baileys but with tequila, amazing!  I have never seen it in the states.

For shopping, our catamaran excursion, and our trip to El Rey Ruins in the hotel zone we took the public bus.  There are stops everywhere and it is only $1 US per person.  It's really easy and the drivers were all helpful when we said where we were headed.  The buses were never really packed.  Please note, we only went on the buses during the day. . . . . we didn't venture off the resort at night, as I am not aware of the safety in Cancun at night on your own as a tourist.  We never had any issues during the day.

Have a great time!!!!!!  We loved it there.
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_first-time-in-cancun?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:52a952a8-3470-450b-8dd5-46c23effeaa8Post:1042e75e-8274-4122-96d3-411fa985de21">Re: First Time in Cancun</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our airport transfer was through Olympus tours, they were really great and had a satellite office at the resort.  Maybe see who your resort is affiliated with. We used mostly US currency, occasionally our amex card, and pesos where we got them as change.  We went down with some bigger bills and or resort was able to exchange them for singles and fives for tips when we needed.  The conversion is about 12-13 pesos to a dollar depending on the exchange rate. Tequila in duty free at the airport was cheaper than anywhere else we could find.  I recommend trying the tequila cream at some point. . . it's like Baileys but with tequila, amazing!  I have never seen it in the states. For shopping, our catamaran excursion, and our trip to El Rey Ruins in the hotel zone we took the public bus.  There are stops everywhere and it is only $1 US per person.  It's really easy and the drivers were all helpful when we said where we were headed.  The buses were never really packed.  Please note, we only went on the buses during the day. . . . . <u>we didn't venture off the resort at night, as I am not aware of the safety in Cancun at night on your own as a tourist.  We never had any issues during the day</u>. Have a great time!!!!!!  We loved it there.
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

it's jsut as safe at night. it's a crowded fun place. get out and enjoy.

• We went in February staying at the Sun Palace.  It's a nice resort chain that I would recommend.  Take a day trip over to the Isle de mujeres.  We rode the public bus from our resort to the ferry, took the ferry over and rented a golf cart.  It was all totally safe.  We had to use pesos for the bus.  Otherwise we used our credit cards.  Your resort should be able to help you with excursions like if you want to go the ruins.  
  • I second the recommendation of going to Isla Mujeras.

We just got back from Playa Del Carmen and Isla Muj.  We stayed at an all-inclusive (which bored us to death after 3 days) and then went to Isla and stayed for 3 days.

We LOVED Isla!  Gorgeous beaches,  everyone runs around the island on golf carts, great inexpensive food, fun district to walk/dine/shop/drink with tourists AND locals which I loved. We felt VERY safe. There are a lot of expats and locals and it is a very welcoming environment.

PM if you have any questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards