July 2013 Weddings
Options

Trying not to freak out...

I ordered my dress a while ago, and was excited to have that checked off the list.  HOWEVER, today I got a call from the bridal store.  The dress I ordered and paid for with extra length ($250 extra dollars), it turns out, cannot be ordered with extra length. 

Um, I asked specifically if it could be, was told yes, was measured with extra length, and paid for extra length.  The lady at the bridal store was really nice about it, and thinks they can make it long enough in house, but I'm really, really annoyed (of course I was polite and understanding on the phone).  The worst part is I live six hours away from the store, so It's not like I can just waltz back in and try it on to see what can be done.  I think I'm still going to order the dress and just have it lengthened (it has a kick in front that can be lowered, making it long enough) but I feel like i deserve a discount or something...

Ugh!

Re: Trying not to freak out...

• Options
    Oh no! At the VERY least the store should do ALL of your alterations for free. How hard is it to double check things like that, particularly when it comes to needing a dress to be longer. I'm so sorry! I REALLY hope they can make it right for you. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_trying-not-to-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:c613ae90-1a39-4b34-9871-167d841e9029Post:1410565a-0615-4557-a887-aa5a9348c58a">Re: Trying not to freak out...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh no! At the VERY least the store should do ALL of your alterations for free. How hard is it to double check things like that, particularly when it comes to needing a dress to be longer. I'm so sorry! I REALLY hope they can make it right for you. 
    Posted by WalkersFurMama[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the positive vibes :)

I couldn't believe they didn't double check.  I mean my mom and I asked about the extra length like five times, I'm six four, it's not like it's a minor issue for us!
  • Options
    Oh my! This happened to someone I know and she ended up getting free shipping to try it on and send it back. It was a huge PITA but at least they offered her that. I agree with pp too, they should give you free alterations. You're not exactly average height for a girl, no offense meant, so they should have thought to ask or double, triple, quadruple check!! Hope it works out for you with as little stress as possible!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    i think the least they can do is do all alerations for free or offer to find a diff dress that does allow extra fabric.  im not sure what other advice i can giveer  you since im 4 10 and dont have the tall factor lol.  if another dress isnt available or to your liking then you should get your money back
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_trying-not-to-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:c613ae90-1a39-4b34-9871-167d841e9029Post:7b8278fb-ba56-4ec5-9584-0a7bc5a2f529">Re: Trying not to freak out...</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think the least they can do is do all alerations for free or offer to find a diff dress that does allow extra fabric.  im not sure what other advice i can giveer  you since im 4 10 and dont have the tall factor lol.  if another dress isnt available or to your liking then you should get your money back
    Posted by southerncutie[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping they'll do.  I'm kind of hoping for a free veil or something too. A girl can dream :) Thankfully it has a kick part that can be lowered and will probably make it long enough, it just makes me really glad I'm a crazy ahead of time planner.  Everyone told me to wait to find a dress, but if this had happened six months before the wedding, I would be in a WAY worse position. 
  • Options
    totally good for you for thinking ahead!! sorry they are being such a pain, and i hope they make it worth your while!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    hopefully they can do something to assist you.  with a diff dress maybe that allows for extra material or free alterations.  hope all works out. positivity headed your way.....
  • Options
    Thanks for all the positivity :)

No offense taken, getting2vowels, I thought the same thing.  You're going to sell a dress to a giant lady who asked for extra length without being sure? Come ON!

My mom is going in tomorrow to assess the situation, so, deep breaths, and hopefully everything will be alright. 
  • Options
    lol yep let momma go ape on them lol i know what im like when someone hurts my kid lol it aint pretty lol or she may not be emotionally attached and it may be better
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_trying-not-to-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:c613ae90-1a39-4b34-9871-167d841e9029Post:e080d298-7e9f-43a4-8c7d-2ff3c8806df0">Re: Trying not to freak out...</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol yep let momma go ape on them lol i know what im like when someone hurts my kid lol it aint pretty lol or she may not be emotionally attached and it may be better
    Posted by southerncutie[/QUOTE]

I have a lot of faith in her, she's upset about it, but she's <em>very</em> diplomatic. 
  • Options
    I would want to hurt the clerk if that happened to me.  I would of course hold it back but that is your wedding dress.  Talk about check those details before you say yes or no.  The store needs to pay for the extra fabric, give your refund for the extra you paid, and on top of all that alter your dress for free.  That is really poor business on their part. 

I am glad for you too that you are an early planner.  If you would have been 6 months from now you may not have had enough time to find a different dress.  I plan on ordering mine by the end of the month. 

Good luck with your mom and let us know what she thinks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    yep most moms are diplomatic lol i am to a point but im 4 `10 and 1/2 irish lol my kid says watch the eyes lol when i get upset lol
  • Options
    She went in and talked to them, armed with all the pics we took of me in the dress (since I couldn't be there, arg) and the lady explained all that they were planning to do.  They're doing the mega complex alterations for the same price extra length would have been, and the sales lady is asking her manager if they can throw in a free veil (that's what they do if you buy the dress on the first visit, so it's not like they aren't comfortable doing it). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards