Getting in Shape
Options

Heel pain

Hi folks.

I have a quick question.  What can be done to curb heel pain?  I don't think it is anything serious, like a bone spur (which I have had in the past), but I have a significant amount of pain in my right heel.

Should I lay off the treadmill and elliptical until it subsides?  I don't want to cause any damange that will curb my workout routine.  Would the stationary bike be a good option for cardio in the meantime?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Heel pain

• Options
    Could be plantar fasciitis, or it could be something as simple as the wrong shoes.  I would get fitted for shoes if you haven't already.  Take some time off (the bike is a great option), and if the pain still continues, I would definitely see your doctor.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Trying to get up the energy to get to the gym!
  • Options
    so that is how my issue started,  not too bad but it eventually (over 3 months of 5x/week workouts) got so bad I was put in a boot and am now doing PT.  Mine is caused from plantar fasciitis.  The best thing to do (according to my PT - who is amazing- I can actually walk now with no pain - first time in 5 months) is to really stretch out your calves.  Take time to stretch before and after workouts.  She has me completely off the eliptical (as the motion is not good for PF).  there are great "exercises" you can do (found on line) for PF including rolling your foot on a tennis ball and frozen water bottle.
    My advice is to take notice of it now and try and fix before it becomes a big problem.  I haven't been able to work out (other than upper body) for 5 months and it has been horrible!

Good luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That could definitely be plantar fasciitis.

Does it hurt most right when you get up in the morning?  Or when you start to walk after periods of inactivity?  Does it generally "loosen" up after you've walked around a bit?

All of those are signs of PF.  I'd go to a doctor to be given the proper stretches, splints and care.
  • Options
    At the moment, the pain is noticable when I'm walking/running for a sustained amount of time.  I haven't noticed it bothering me as much in the morning.  I am thinking it may also be aggravated by the fact that I spend 7-8 hours a day on my feet, teaching.  Standing/walking on tile and concrete floors can be unforgiving.

I'm going to be better about stretching.  Also, over the holidays, I'll be relegated to the stationary bike, as that's my only options at my mom's house.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'll keep you all updated.  :)
  • Options
    Hi! I've found the tennis ball to be very helpful too, along with lower calf-soleus stretches. And, for some reason, I get discomfort from wearing super flat shoes. Do you have orthotics? They might help too. Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_heel-pain-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2d0c0bb8-9471-4f22-8b9e-18afbedeeed3Post:536b217c-2183-4d71-a070-a458a65c6c35">Re: Heel pain</a>:
    [QUOTE]That could definitely be plantar fasciitis. Does it hurt most right when you get up in the morning?  Or when you start to walk after periods of inactivity?  Does it generally "loosen" up after you've walked around a bit? All of those are signs of PF.  I'd go to a doctor to be given the proper stretches, splints and care.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]
    Now I'm terrified because these are the EXACT symptoms I'm having with my left foot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards