Moms and Maids
Options

mother of the groom apparel

It it "proper" for the MOG to wear red.  I love red!

Re: mother of the groom apparel

• Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    She can wear what ever color she wants. Well, I might side-eye her if she wore white, but I see no problem with red. :)
  • Options
    stina93446stina93446 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no"proper" color requirement. Whatever color she wants to wear is the proper color.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you love red, then wear red.  And wear it with pizazz!  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely it's proper and if anyone tries to tell you otherwise (or that it's not going to fit a color scheme), send that person to us to set straight :)
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sure, she can wear whatever she wants, but you asked for the etiquette about this, and here it is:

Q. What are the color restrictions surrounding the mother of the groom's dress?

A. Traditionally, avoiding dresses in the white and ivory color family (that can appear to rival the bride), black gowns (that can suggest mourning) and red gowns (or similarly "flashy" shades) is the standard.

That's not from a 1950s book.  That's from this 2011 webpage:
    http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/mother-of-the-bride/articles/mother-of-the-groom-attire.aspx

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The MOG and MOB may wear any color they want. Happy shopping!

• Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let her wear whatever color she wants to wear!

FWIW my mom is wearing black, and I think she'll look stunning!
  • Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

An age appropriate deep red would be fine, in my opionion.  However, a fire engine red dress better worn to a club by a 21 year old is another matter.

I just think of a dress my DD wore to one of her high school proms.  It was a floor lenght, red and black print with spaghetti straps and sequins and form fitting.  It was a beautiful dress and looked great on her.  She found it in the Mother of the Bride section of the local bridal salon.  Even in high school she was shocked to think that someone's mother would wear that to her daughter's wedding.  She joked that it was better worn by the FOB's trophy wife, if the FOB had married someone young enough to be his daoughter.

• Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-groom-apparel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:3ef277ef-e47c-4d64-a793-27b2965bf563Post:76c4bc48-a8ae-498c-9b09-b54aabf268a2">Re: mother of the groom apparel</a>:
    [QUOTE]An age appropriate deep red would be fine, in my opionion.  However, a fire engine red dress better worn to a club by a 21 year old is another matter. I just think of a dress my DD wore to one of her high school proms.  It was a floor lenght, red and black print with spaghetti straps and sequins and form fitting.  It was a beautiful dress and looked great on her.  She found it in the Mother of the Bride section of the local bridal salon.  Even in high school she was shocked to think that someone's mother would wear that to her daughter's wedding.  She joked that it was better worn by the FOB's trophy wife, if the FOB had married someone young enough to be his daoughter.
    Posted by gailpete[/QUOTE]

A fire engine red dress could be floor length with sleeves and very elegant, certainly not something one would wear to a club. The color of a dress alone does not dictate the appropriateness of the dress.

And FWIW I would not care if the MOB or MOG wore white to my wedding as long as they were comfortable. There's not a chance anyone would mistake them for the bride LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG Kristin, are you really going to pull an article saying a MOG can't wear red?  Really?   Gah!!!

Millie, go for the red!  It IS "age appropriate", and it's certainly fine to wear.  Enjoy, and feel like a beautiful MOG.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-groom-apparel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3ef277ef-e47c-4d64-a793-27b2965bf563Post:d9526eb9-22a2-4606-9579-3a1a14b1e750">Re: mother of the groom apparel</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sure, she can wear whatever she wants, but you asked for the etiquette about this, and here it is: Q. What are the color restrictions surrounding the mother of the groom's dress? A. Traditionally, avoiding dresses in the white and ivory color family (that can appear to rival the bride), black gowns (that can suggest mourning) and red gowns (or similarly "flashy" shades) is the standard. That's not from a 1950s book.  That's from this 2011 webpage: <a href="http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/mother-of-the-bride/articles/mother-of-the-groom-attire.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/mother-of-the-bride/articles/mother-of-the-groom-attire.aspx</a>
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Um, just FYI, I don't give a hoot if it's from 2011-- it's from The Knot. Not the Bible. It's not the Lord's Word. There's room for error. In this case, I call it an error.

The mothers should be able to wear whatever they feel beautiful in. If my FMIL wants to wear a red dress to our beach wedding (it's her favorite color), that is what she is going to wear. If she wants to wear black, I am fine with that too. The only colors moms should stay away from are white and ivory. If the dress you are going to feel amazing in is red, wear the red dress!!
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll notice if you take a second look that I started my response by saying that she can wear whatever she wants.  I personally don't care.  But the OP was asking for the etiquette rule about colors, so that's what I posted.  And I didn't add anything at the end that said that I was insisting that this rule be followed.  I was just sharing the rule.  Period.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And what I am saying is that TK isn't exactly a valid source of etiquette.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say wear what you want.  If you are concerned that there is a stigma attached with wearing a bright color, then you can always get a black bolero to cover your shoulders.  This would tone down the color, but I don't think that's necessary.  Honestly I think that 99% of the time, the bride is dressed in a way that will not allow her to be upstaged by a dress just because it's a bright color.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-groom-apparel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:3ef277ef-e47c-4d64-a793-27b2965bf563Post:9b02f64a-d6f1-4b74-8766-ddca4b8af3da">Re: mother of the groom apparel</a>:
    [QUOTE]You'll notice if you take a second look that I started my response by saying that she can wear whatever she wants.  I personally don't care.  But the OP was asking for the etiquette rule about colors, so that's what I posted.  And I didn't add anything at the end that said that I was insisting that this rule be followed.  I was just sharing the rule.  Period.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

I did notice.  As PP said, I'm questioning your source.  Just because it's written on the internet, doesn't make it true.  Period.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I think the red would be ok. My FMIL looks great in bright red and I wouldn't mind at all if she wore that color. You may want to check with the MOB to be sure you don't end up wearing the same color and type of dress, but that's up to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards