Honeymoon Discussions

Is the honeymoon I just "won" a scam?? HELP!!

So, I just went to the Star-Telegram Bridal Show at the Gaylord Texan Resort this past weekend, where I apparently registered with Gateway Brides to possibly win a free honeymoon.  Anyway, I got a call this afternoon from a woman named "Christina".  She wanted to inform me that my fiance and I had been selected to recieve a bridal package with them.  She said that we won a 3 day/2 night trip to an all inclusive resort.  The only catch was that airfare wasn't included.  We also won a book of $1000 worth of food coupons.  She also told me that in order to receive these gifts we would have to attend a culinary demonstration, but that there was NOT a required purchase.  So, obviously, they are going to try to sell me something, and from what I've read it's very expensive.  I've looked up reviews of this on google, and I've read pretty mixed stuff.  Some people say it's a total scam and not worth going AT ALL.  But, others have said that there really isn't any pressure to buy anything, and that they received their free honeymoon with no problems.  My fiance thinks it's a total scam, but told me to post on here to see if anyone else has had an experience with this.  I'm really not sure what to believe.  It's super disheartening that people really would want to scam newly engaged/married couples.  Sorry this was so long, please let me know your thoughts!!! :) Thank you!

Re: Is the honeymoon I just "won" a scam?? HELP!!

• megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I "won" something like this at a bridal show.  If it's the same thing, yes, it's a scam. The trip pretty much next to impossible to redeem (Regardless of whether or not you purchase the expensive pots/china they're offering), and if you do manage to do it, if you read the fine print (Which you only get to see if you sit through the presentation), it actually says that they can cancel the trip at a moment's notice and not compensate you for it.

Sorry!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • If you have to sit through a presentation, you didn't win anything. We "won" this at least 7 or 8 times. Scam scam scam.
    imageimageimage
  • I got a call almost exactly like what you described - they wanted me to sit through a demonstration with their cookware and we weren't expected to buy, whatever. They got my info from a bridal fair I didn't go to. I don't like pushy salespeople and was pretty wary of all the things I had read about the company online (Royal Prestige) and I'm sure there are all kinds of shady things going on with the "vacation" from what I have read of other people's experiences. They told me when and where the demonstration would be but I didn't go and I plan to ignore any further calls they make.
    imageAnniversary
  • If you win anything that requires you to pay that much - it's probably too good to be true.

Shitty.
    panther
  • YES!!! Same thing happened to me!
  • Thanks everyone!!!  You have helped us out alot.  We definitely won't be going! 
  • haha, that's funny, i got the same exact phone call! i didn't even bother with it, definitely a scam. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually just got that same call last night!! I didnt answer but they left a v/m and I googled the number and they said it was a scam.

I was sooo happy at first!! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOL where you 'apparently' applied to win a hm? either you did or didn't.

this is one reason i NEVER went to bridal shows and am VERY selective about who i give info to-everyone sells info to everyone else. i make sure to see privacy policies before giving info.

• I got the same call several months ago.  From what I've read, it is similar to a time share presentation where if you listen to their cookware presentation, you get a trip.  Like a PP said though, I read that the vacations are difficult to redeem.  I googled the company and decided it was too shady for me.
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
  • I "won" one of these things also. I asked them if I didn't attend the demonstration, could I still have the prize package? They said no.  If there's no pressure to buy, why would I have to attend? Scam!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards