Wedding Reception Forum

Sky Lantern Release

Dear Knotties,

I'd like to release these sky lanterns at my reception, however, I wanted your ideas as to when to do it, should it be the last thing of the night?  Or just before we cut the cake?  We are going to have our reception at a golf course so there will be a nice wide open space.  However, I also needed help on how to light multiple of them without any candles....

Please find attached a picture of what I'm talking about...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sky Lantern Release

• i was wondering where you had found them and were they expensive?

• FYI you can get them with bamboo wires that hold them up, which are biodegradable. Keep in mind that these are also often used in cultural/religious ceremonies. Compare them to the 4th of July in America, and the way Americans celebrate it with fireworks, which pose a larger risk to the environment (link: http://www.voiceforthevoiceless.org.za/dangers.htm).

Generally, sky lanterns are not harmful, and they are extremely popular for weddings. However, I do recommend you look over the proper release instructions before using them, and having some way of going over them with your guests so as to avoid any issues (i.e., do not release on windy days, do not release near airports, etc.) Anything flammable, even items that we typically view as "safe" such as matches, candles, lighters, camp fires, etc. can become dangerous if people are not cautious. 

As for the length of time they take to decompose, these lanterns still take less time than the hundreds of plastic cups, bags, eating utensils, etc. many brides use on their wedding days. 
  • Oh BTW, you should make sure that the guests wait for the lanterns to completely fill with hot air (usually about a minute) before releasing them. Some people try to just light the things and let them go before they are ready. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lantern-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:64122a4c-7bcb-4925-8182-0a10c7994c0cPost:c43c2280-278e-4e0b-a208-b879dfca05f4">Re: Sky Lantern Release</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI you can get them with bamboo wires that hold them up, which are biodegradable. Keep in mind that these are also often used in cultural/religious ceremonies. Compare them to the 4th of July in America, and the way Americans celebrate it with fireworks, which pose a larger risk to the environment (link: <a href="http://www.voiceforthevoiceless.org.za/dangers.htm)" rel='nofollow'>http://www.voiceforthevoiceless.org.za/dangers.htm)</a>. Generally, sky lanterns are not harmful, and they are extremely popular for weddings. However, I do recommend you look over the proper release instructions before using them, and having some way of going over them with your guests so as to avoid any issues (i.e., do not release on windy days, do not release near airports, etc.) Anything flammable, even items that we typically view as "safe" such as matches, candles, lighters, camp fires, etc. can become dangerous if people are not cautious.  <strong>As for the length of time they take to decompose, these lanterns still take less time than the hundreds of plastic cups, bags, eating utensils, etc. many brides use on their wedding days. </strong>
    Posted by eehkay[/QUOTE]
    I imagine those brides aren't releasing their garbage to the winds after their wedding day is done.  A banana peel decomposes even faster than either, but you can still get a littering fine for not disposing of one properly.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • If we're defining litter based on local laws, rather than the larger global picture, then it's safe to assume that if your local fire marshal allow their release, they're not considered "litter". Just call and ask the fire department to see whether or not they're allowed. This also helps address the "fire hazard" issue. If the area you're releasing them in isn't susceptible to fires, then you should be good to go. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lantern-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:64122a4c-7bcb-4925-8182-0a10c7994c0cPost:7a1e445c-5203-42d6-9a47-f861b5cc4a6e">Re: Sky Lantern Release</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, I think it is a cute idea for sky lanterns,but yea as you can see there a few questions that need to be answered. I hope your vendor allows you to do this! IT's true that I see there are biodegradable..maybe there are parts that aren't as much that's whats google for!  I'll let you know more about it if I see something! HEY OTHER BRIDES! If you want to be helpful like we're suppose to be when on some of these discussions along with saving the planet,information about sky lanterns wouldn't hurt to post.. or HEY! help her look for the biodegradable ones! IF any of you guys smoke, or you have a few friends that do smoke: the cigarrettes are not ALL biodegradable. If you smoke and toss those butts at the floor then you aren't one to talk because you sure as heck to alot of littering on your own. If you let your friends or loved ones toss those suckers out the window and so forth then you are definitely not one to talk. <strong>Keep those enviroment comments to self if you're not utmost recycling, non smoking, and volunteering at animal shelters aqnd leading your friends to do as well.  This is her Special Day as Well, be HELPFUL, not snide.</strong>
    Posted by WhiteRose0323[/QUOTE]

And in swoops super-newb to lecture us all. 

For the record, I don't smoke.  I do recycle almost everything.  While not at an animal shelter, I do volunteer more than 30 hours a month, and I think this is a bad idea. 

Kthankxbye.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited June 2012
    Just an FYI...

They can be super dangerous ... it is fire that you are sending into the air. While pretty, it isn't worth the risk in my opinion after I looked into it.

Skim this article and watch these videos of the things catching fire when people use them the right way.

• vicki0508...nothing more classy than a woman using the word "douche" in a posting on a bridal site. Wow...your groom is one lucky guy...do you kiss him with that mouth??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lantern-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:64122a4c-7bcb-4925-8182-0a10c7994c0cPost:28283224-d778-4583-a5e6-59a83c7fcea1">Re: Sky Lantern Release</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sky Lantern Release : Yeah, this.  If I saw this happening at a wedding, I would probably not want to stay anymore.  I know weddings aren't exactly low carbon-footprint, but this just seems like blatant littering. 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>Wishlanterns.com has 100% biodegradable lanterns for a great price.  The eco-friendly option was very important to me b/c our wedding is on the beach and we didn't want to harm any wildlife. Some standard lanterns have a metal frame. Just have to look at the description and avoid those.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lantern-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:64122a4c-7bcb-4925-8182-0a10c7994c0cPost:1f350246-c948-4aa5-9075-0c2ce76b86c4">Re: Sky Lantern Release</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sky Lantern Release : Does the thin wire rim disintegrate as well? If not, an extemely thin wire rim is still a wire rim, which is still litter.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]
    Calm down.
  • Are you all serious about this???   I can't believe you people would deny a person such as small issue as sky lanterns!!  Give me a break here.  I bet every single one of you fail in many areas to be as enviromentally friendly or as green or whatever you seem to be. If this person wants to do this .... PLEASE.... enjoy...it's your wedding and if you listen to this bunch of shallow, hipocritical, two faced nut cases then it's your loss.  If the truth is known they are all jealous that you are having a nice wedding to begin with.  Believe me.... your one little violation of the enviromental wedding Gestapo will not cause any additional global warming, or any children to go hungry or be abused or any other BS issue they may make you feel like you are the primary cause of if you release a few Chinese lanterns, sky lanterns or whatever you choose to call them.  Listen up sweetie,   this is your day.... this is something that these idiots will not know about...or care about...or anything else.  It is YOUR beautiful, sexy, loving, emotional day and it may never come again (at least it shouldn't) so please don't let these lunatics tell you it isn't cool to do this or you will die and go to hell if you release a couple of sky lanterns!!!   I bet most of them are not married and will never experience the fantastic event you are getting ready to enjoy..   So don't let a few witches spoil your excitement.  DO IT!!     As for those who are against it.....get a life people.  You are pathetic trying to influence this person.   Shame on you.  Look in the mirror and see what you are doing that is worse than releasing a few sky lanterns at a wedding........  PLEASE.......grow up.....except the fact that this person is enjoying what your pathetic arses will never experience and don't respond with lies about how you did this and you did that at your wedding because I know better.  You are all envious of this person and want nothing more than to ruin their special day.....   you should be so ashamed of your actions.      I will release a dozen sky lanterns in honor of this person and all those who do the same in the future.......

• I agree!! If you want to do it, then do it. : There are only so many milestones in ones life and this is one of the biggestmake it worthwhile...make it happen and Live It Up! It's your life...no one else is going to live it : Good Luck and Happy Planning...and just to let you know, I am doing it too and I am havinga beach wedding.
  • I've been researching sky lanterns for my wedding as well and I can't believe the comments on this thread. I thought checking reviews on the knot would give constructive advice but almost every comment is critical and trying to knock the OP's idea down. I'm getting the biodegradable ones and using them at my reception. I'll post pics to show the lovely display.
  • supersherrysupersherry member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    I love the sky lanterns but I can't do them because there is a private airport behind my neighborhood and we're having a backyard wedding.  D'oh!
  • LMAO. I'm releasing these at my wedding and I honestly DON'T give a Flying you know what about what you people think!!!! HA! I don't need your approval or opinion. You "Brides" are so rude! Good Luck with your marriage. I don't know how some of your husbands deal with you. Wink
  • MelMoldenMelMolden member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lantern-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:64122a4c-7bcb-4925-8182-0a10c7994c0cPost:7a1e445c-5203-42d6-9a47-f861b5cc4a6e">Re: Sky Lantern Release</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, I think it is a cute idea for sky lanterns,but yea as you can see there a few questions that need to be answered. I hope your vendor allows you to do this! IT's true that I see there are biodegradable..maybe there are parts that aren't as much that's whats google for!  I'll let you know more about it if I see something! HEY OTHER BRIDES! If you want to be helpful like we're suppose to be when on some of these discussions along with saving the planet,information about sky lanterns wouldn't hurt to post.. or HEY! help her look for the biodegradable ones! IF any of you guys smoke, or you have a few friends that do smoke: the cigarrettes are not ALL biodegradable. If you smoke and toss those butts at the floor then you aren't one to talk because you sure as heck to alot of littering on your own. If you let your friends or loved ones toss those suckers out the window and so forth then you are definitely not one to talk. Keep those enviroment comments to self if you're not utmost recycling, non smoking, and volunteering at animal shelters aqnd leading your friends to do as well.  This is her Special Day as Well, be HELPFUL, not snide.
    Posted by WhiteRose0323[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for posting this! I'm so sick of the PC stuff..we all polute, period! Have your lanterns, it's one day out of your life...</div>
  • the are awesome..do yuo think these would work in a boat wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards