Moms and Maids
Options

My planning has been miserable......

Get ready for a long post.
I have a huge problem. Ever since my fiance put a ring on my finger, my family has lost it. I was dating my fiance for 16 months before he asked me to marry him. My family loved him. They never had a problem with him or his family. He asked my mom and my stepfather for my hand before proposing and they were excited. My mother, my step father and my older brother live in the east coast and I live in the West coast along with my sister and my younger brother. 

So the first thing that happened was that my sister got upset that my fiance did not tell her that he was going to propose before it happened. This was something that she brought but that bothered her but she got over it. My sister then invited my fiance's mother to plan the engagement party. My fiance and I did not know anything about weddings so we did not know who was suppose to do what. We took the attitude that whoever wants to contribute to anything, they can but we are paying for the majority of the wedding. My mother became sad that she lived so far away and could not be there to plan the wedding with me. I told her that she can through, internet, skype, phone, emails....all of that. Anyways back to the engagement party. My FMIL was excited that she was asked to plan and contacted my sister and my mother about it. No one called her back. My FMIL asked us about what was going on and we were clueless. I contacted my sister (who I made my MOH) and she wanted to talk to both my fiance and I. We met with her at a restaurant and she was extremely upset that his mother offered to pay for the catering at the engagement party and that we needed to include my mother more in the wedding. She was telling my fiance that I had family and that I had to realize that. We had no idea where this was coming from and we decided to skype with my mother ASAP to find out what is going on. My mother told us that she wanted to be included more in the planning of the wedding. We were totally cool with that and in fact reminded her that we felt the same way and always wanted that.  My mother also informed us that she was flying out a couple of times before the wedding. We told her that we would hold off on all major decisions until she came out. 

Fast forward to engagement party. My mother was upset the whole time she was out here. We looked at venues and she was distant. My mother took offense that my FMIL accidently introduced herself as the MOB at one of the venues. She was complaining the whole time about the guest list and that more of our family should be on it (even though I told her that I was adding more of our family). My mother was very upset. My mother then confessed to me that she wanted to plan the engagement party. Why didn't she say anything in the beginning is beyond me!!! I told her that she would have planned it. Then she started compaining that she wouldn't be able to because she is far away. Then complained that she wanted to fly out family from NY and Puerto Rico to my engangement party. I told her I did not want that, and I would much rather them spend the money to come out for the wedding. She was still hurt by this. At the engagement party she was angry, and wanted to talk to my FMIL about how hurt she was by her. My FMIL did not want to ruin our day and did not want to get into anything. Also, my sister talk to my FMIL telling her to back off and that she should talk to my mother because my mother is hurt.
The day after my mother was extremely upset because my FMIL should only be responsible for the rehearsal dinner and that is it. I told her that I wanted her involved too. My mother told me that it is not fair that my FMIL lives so close and can do things with me. Cliaming that she is pushing herself in this wedding and those things should be her moments (this is also because I invited my FMIL to dress shopping with my mom....which my sister and my mother got it in their minds that my FMIL invited herself). My mother also demanded that we get married in NY where our family is. I told her that I barely know my family and I don't have any of my friend in NY, I will not do that and that is not what both me and my fiance want. She said that my sister would have done it if she asked her. 
My sister then got involved in all of this. She stopped talking to me. Told me that my FMIL disrepected her and my mother for not talking to our mother after the engagement party. Also that she made a comment " I can't believe she (my mother) is going to ruin her day", which my FMIL does not remember saying. I wrote her back telling her that I'm a grown woman making my own decision and everyone has to let go. We can get passed this and it will get better. My sister fired back and was very rude so we remained silent.
Jump to my dress fitting and my mom coming out here with my stepdad. So my mother wanted my sister and I to talk and get back to where we were. I came over to talk to my sister and she started yelling at me. Telling me that I brushed my family and took my fiance's family's side on everything. They said that I did not care about my mother's feelings and that I was being selfish. Then my sister told me that she was no longer my MOH and that her children were taken out of the bridal party as well. My mother did not say anything and agreed with my sister's actions. I ignored my sister and told my mother that I want to fix this but I need her support. My fiance at this point is furious on how they have been treating me because I have just been hurt this whole time. My fiance and I hoped that maybe meeting with my mother and stepfather and taking them out would help. My stepfather declined to go out. We also invited him to go and pick the menu for the wedding and he declined. My fiance went to shake his hand when he came by and stepfather  ignored him. 
My fiance and I have since tried to set up something with my sister to see what we can do to move pass things and she cancelled. We have tried to repair things. 
Recently, I asked my step father to walk me down the aisle (even though we were not that close and he was being rude when he was here), he anyways declined. My stepfather told me the reason was because I treated my mother bad. He also stated that my fiance was rude for not acknowledging him when he came out to visit. Mind you this was the visit where my stepfather declined our invitations to eating out, to the catering tasting...all of that. By the way, my mother was the only one at the dress fitting (I have to tell my FMIL not to come. Back to my step father, I told him not to come because I had enough. My mother called me back and asked me to reconsider because she did not want to be at the wedding by herself. I told her that this is where I stand and I am just sick of eveything. She then called my fiance self centered. She is now thinking about not coming to the wedding because she does not want to be alone. 
My mother does feel bad for everything that has happened and feels embarrassed because she realizes how I have been having a miserable time. Every mile stone in this wedding....dress fitting, venue picking, all those wonderful moments....I was crying because of all this. My mother realizes this, yet....she still thinks I should try harder to patch thinigs up with my sister and that my stepfather should be invited to the wedding. She has not bought her ticket yet to the wedding because she is not sure she is coming. My wedding is a month away. I give up.....

Told you it was a lot. There is much more in all of tha but my hands are tired.....

Re: My planning has been miserable......

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_my-planning-has-been-miserable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:38a0e917-9a94-4c69-9ceb-84cff4cbe202Post:61fb75c6-3534-416e-8289-048cdf84dc22">My planning has been miserable......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Get ready for a long post. I have a huge problem. Ever since my fiance put a ring on my finger, my family has lost it. I was dating my fiance for 16 months before he asked me to marry him. My family loved him. They never had a problem with him or his family. He asked my mom and my stepfather for my hand before proposing and they were excited. My mother, my step father and my older brother live in the east coast and I live in the West coast along with my sister and my younger brother.  So the first thing that happened was that my sister got upset that my fiance did not tell her that he was going to propose before it happened. This was something that she brought but that bothered her but she got over it. My sister then invited my fiance's mother to plan the engagement party. My fiance and I did not know anything about weddings so we did not know who was suppose to do what. We took the attitude that whoever wants to contribute to anything, they can but we are paying for the majority of the wedding. My mother became sad that she lived so far away and could not be there to plan the wedding with me. I told her that she can through, internet, skype, phone, emails....all of that. Anyways back to the engagement party. My FMIL was excited that she was asked to plan and contacted my sister and my mother about it. No one called her back. My FMIL asked us about what was going on and we were clueless. I contacted my sister (who I made my MOH) and she wanted to talk to both my fiance and I. We met with her at a restaurant and she was extremely upset that his mother offered to pay for the catering at the engagement party and that we needed to include my mother more in the wedding. She was telling my fiance that I had family and that I had to realize that. We had no idea where this was coming from and we decided to skype with my mother ASAP to find out what is going on. My mother told us that she wanted to be included more in the planning of the wedding. We were totally cool with that and in fact reminded her that we felt the same way and always wanted that.  My mother also informed us that she was flying out a couple of times before the wedding. We told her that we would hold off on all major decisions until she came out.  Fast forward to engagement party. My mother was upset the whole time she was out here. We looked at venues and she was distant. My mother took offense that my FMIL accidently introduced herself as the MOB at one of the venues. She was complaining the whole time about the guest list and that more of our family should be on it (even though I told her that I was adding more of our family). My mother was very upset. My mother then confessed to me that she wanted to plan the engagement party. Why didn't she say anything in the beginning is beyond me!!! I told her that she would have planned it. Then she started compaining that she wouldn't be able to because she is far away. Then complained that she wanted to fly out family from NY and Puerto Rico to my engangement party. I told her I did not want that, and I would much rather them spend the money to come out for the wedding. She was still hurt by this. At the engagement party she was angry, and wanted to talk to my FMIL about how hurt she was by her. My FMIL did not want to ruin our day and did not want to get into anything. Also, my sister talk to my FMIL telling her to back off and that she should talk to my mother because my mother is hurt. The day after my mother was extremely upset because my FMIL should only be responsible for the rehearsal dinner and that is it. I told her that I wanted her involved too. My mother told me that it is not fair that my FMIL lives so close and can do things with me. Cliaming that she is pushing herself in this wedding and those things should be her moments (this is also because I invited my FMIL to dress shopping with my mom....which my sister and my mother got it in their minds that my FMIL invited herself). My mother also demanded that we get married in NY where our family is. I told her that I barely know my family and I don't have any of my friend in NY, I will not do that and that is not what both me and my fiance want. She said that my sister would have done it if she asked her.  My sister then got involved in all of this. She stopped talking to me. Told me that my FMIL disrepected her and my mother for not talking to our mother after the engagement party. Also that she made a comment " I can't believe she (my mother) is going to ruin her day", which my FMIL does not remember saying. I wrote her back telling her that I'm a grown woman making my own decision and everyone has to let go. We can get passed this and it will get better. My sister fired back and was very rude so we remained silent. Jump to my dress fitting and my mom coming out here with my stepdad. So my mother wanted my sister and I to talk and get back to where we were. I came over to talk to my sister and she started yelling at me. Telling me that I brushed my family and took my fiance's family's side on everything. They said that I did not care about my mother's feelings and that I was being selfish. Then my sister told me that she was no longer my MOH and that her children were taken out of the bridal party as well. My mother did not say anything and agreed with my sister's actions. I ignored my sister and told my mother that I want to fix this but I need her support. My fiance at this point is furious on how they have been treating me because I have just been hurt this whole time. My fiance and I hoped that maybe meeting with my mother and stepfather and taking them out would help. My stepfather declined to go out. We also invited him to go and pick the menu for the wedding and he declined. My fiance went to shake his hand when he came by and stepfather  ignored him.  My fiance and I have since tried to set up something with my sister to see what we can do to move pass things and she cancelled. We have tried to repair things.  Recently, I asked my step father to walk me down the aisle (even though we were not that close and he was being rude when he was here), he anyways declined. My stepfather told me the reason was because I treated my mother bad. He also stated that my fiance was rude for not acknowledging him when he came out to visit. Mind you this was the visit where my stepfather declined our invitations to eating out, to the catering tasting...all of that. By the way, my mother was the only one at the dress fitting (I have to tell my FMIL not to come. Back to my step father, I told him not to come because I had enough. My mother called me back and asked me to reconsider because she did not want to be at the wedding by herself. I told her that this is where I stand and I am just sick of eveything. She then called my fiance self centered. She is now thinking about not coming to the wedding because she does not want to be alone.  My mother does feel bad for everything that has happened and feels embarrassed because she realizes how I have been having a miserable time. Every mile stone in this wedding....dress fitting, venue picking, all those wonderful moments....I was crying because of all this. My mother realizes this, yet....she still thinks I should try harder to patch thinigs up with my sister and that my stepfather should be invited to the wedding. She has not bought her ticket yet to the wedding because she is not sure she is coming. My wedding is a month away. I give up..... Told you it was a lot. There is much more in all of tha but my hands are tired.....
    Posted by dsclemente[/QUOTE]

Wow. I'm so sorry that you had such a terrible time planning. I would suggest eloping, but it may cause even more drama.

Since your wedding is a month away, try to be the bigger person and patch things with your sister and stepfather. (Later, you may regret not reaching out to them.) If it doesn't work out, at least you tried, and they will have regrets, later, for not attending your wedding.
  • Options
    Tori - can you do a CN since you seem to have made it through this.

OP - when you put a post that long up, it is common courtesy to put at the end "CN" and then summarize your post in two or three sentences.  We can go back through the wall of text if we have questions.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Your family is being ridiculous. Your mom played martyr and cried to everyone about feeling left out when she did it to herself. She didn't HAVE to be included because she wasn't paying and if your FMIL was nice enough to contact her about planning, she should've just enjoyed it and plan together. I'm glad you stood up to your sister, mother, and step dad.

I think your mom just felt jealous because you were spending time with your FMIL. I think you just ignore your family at this point. If they're going to miss your wedding; it's on them, try to brush it off and move on. Plan everything else with your friends and FMIL.

BTW; if your step dad was also disrespectful, I don't think he should be walking you down the aisle. There's nothing wrong with walking by yourself.

Trying to "mend" things wasn't your responsibility because you didn't do anything wrong.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_my-planning-has-been-miserable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:38a0e917-9a94-4c69-9ceb-84cff4cbe202Post:71454260-7b21-4ab4-8fa5-6a81e70c3afa">Re: My planning has been miserable......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tori - can you do a CN since you seem to have made it through this. OP - when you put a post that long up, it is common courtesy to put at the end "CN" and then summarize your post in two or three sentences.  We can go back through the wall of text if we have questions.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
    Good Luck

The OP is having family issues caused by her mother because she's jelous the FMIL planned the rehearsal dinner by herself which according to the OP isn't true because the FMIL tried contacting OP's mom and she was extremely disrespectful. Oh and FMIL was paying for the rehearsal dinner btw. The OP's sister was the MOH but she dropped out of the wedding and removed the kids because FMIL was being disrespectful to OP's family by excluding them from wedding planning.

Mom is on the east coast and the bride is on the west coast so mom is just being ridiculous.
  • Options
    GLB, here's a quick rundown.

OP's family and FI's family got along until wedding planning happened. OP wanted to include both families equally and MOB and her sister flipped out. At every turn it created drama, which OP seemed to handle gracefully. OP and her FI are paying for everything but have tried to include everyone. Now all of her family is threatening not to come.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think you should at least invite your SF. Your mother will probably be more comfortable with him there and it will show that you're the bigger person. Also maybe call them and talk to them about nonwedding related stuff. Other than that I think you're doing all you can.
  • Options
    Sorry about the long post and I am very new to this. I just needed to express everything and how just upsetting it all is. Thank you for the heads up on the "CN" and I will remember that next time. I am a counselor so I tend to document things in detail and this is the result of it. 

Tori- I have tried many times to do something with my sister. She says that she needs to take things slow. That she needs time. I just shake my head and think "why? WTF?" I just want to move on but they can't seem to do so. 

mcda04 - My fiance and I totally are on the same page with everything you said. My fiance pleaded with my mother to come and what it would mean to me but she still would not tell him she was coming. Upsetting. OH and it was the engagement party, not rehearsal dinner. Thanks for the support everyone. 
  • Options
    Wow. I'm so sorry your experience has been miserable. Do you have a honeymoon planned after so you can just relax? I'd just send your mom, stepdad and sister an invitation/ask them to your wedding (I'm assuming your invitations have already gone out?) and be done with it. If they come they come, if not, oh well. But at least you'll be the bigger person :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry, this is so sad! I think when it comes to weddings, family members may  have long held ideas in mind about how they think they should play out but in reality they differ from one another, then factor in existing issues like an unwillingness to comprimise, being emotional, etc. and it can be messy if people aren't rational.

It honestly sounds like a case of your mom feeling jealous you are across the country and another woman/mother figure/family helping more in the planning than she thought they would. Your Step-Father and Sister are feeding into her jealousy and making it feel warranted when it's not. She has had opportunities to drop it, contribute to the planning and special parties but she chose those opportunities to make it about herself again.

You sound like you have incredible patience! I'd extend that just a bit further and let your family know that Mom, Stepdad, and Sister are invited but this is the last chance you are giving them to put this behind you and accept the invitation happily. If there is any back and forth, the offer is off the table because you can't go into your wedding day dealing with their bad behavior, it's indefensible. You can feel like you've made one last attempt to be the bigger person, and they can deal with the results of the actions.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_my-planning-has-been-miserable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:38a0e917-9a94-4c69-9ceb-84cff4cbe202Post:61fb75c6-3534-416e-8289-048cdf84dc22">My planning has been miserable......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Get ready for a long post. I have a huge problem. Ever since my fiance put a ring on my finger, my family has lost it. I was dating my fiance for 16 months before he asked me to marry him. My family loved him. They never had a problem with him or his family. He asked my mom and my stepfather for my hand before proposing and they were excited. My mother, my step father and my older brother live in the east coast and I live in the West coast along with my sister and my younger brother.  So the first thing that happened was that my sister got upset that my fiance did not tell her that he was going to propose before it happened. This was something that she brought but that bothered her but she got over it. My sister then invited my fiance's mother to plan the engagement party. My fiance and I did not know anything about weddings so we did not know who was suppose to do what. We took the attitude that whoever wants to contribute to anything, they can but we are paying for the majority of the wedding. My mother became sad that she lived so far away and could not be there to plan the wedding with me. I told her that she can through, internet, skype, phone, emails....all of that. Anyways back to the engagement party. My FMIL was excited that she was asked to plan and contacted my sister and my mother about it. No one called her back. My FMIL asked us about what was going on and we were clueless. I contacted my sister (who I made my MOH) and she wanted to talk to both my fiance and I. We met with her at a restaurant and she was extremely upset that his mother offered to pay for the catering at the engagement party and that we needed to include my mother more in the wedding. She was telling my fiance that I had family and that I had to realize that. We had no idea where this was coming from and we decided to skype with my mother ASAP to find out what is going on. My mother told us that she wanted to be included more in the planning of the wedding. We were totally cool with that and in fact reminded her that we felt the same way and always wanted that.  My mother also informed us that she was flying out a couple of times before the wedding. We told her that we would hold off on all major decisions until she came out.  Fast forward to engagement party. My mother was upset the whole time she was out here. We looked at venues and she was distant. My mother took offense that my FMIL accidently introduced herself as the MOB at one of the venues. She was complaining the whole time about the guest list and that more of our family should be on it (even though I told her that I was adding more of our family). My mother was very upset. My mother then confessed to me that she wanted to plan the engagement party. Why didn't she say anything in the beginning is beyond me!!! I told her that she would have planned it. Then she started compaining that she wouldn't be able to because she is far away. Then complained that she wanted to fly out family from NY and Puerto Rico to my engangement party. I told her I did not want that, and I would much rather them spend the money to come out for the wedding. She was still hurt by this. At the engagement party she was angry, and wanted to talk to my FMIL about how hurt she was by her. My FMIL did not want to ruin our day and did not want to get into anything. Also, my sister talk to my FMIL telling her to back off and that she should talk to my mother because my mother is hurt. The day after my mother was extremely upset because my FMIL should only be responsible for the rehearsal dinner and that is it. I told her that I wanted her involved too. My mother told me that it is not fair that my FMIL lives so close and can do things with me. Cliaming that she is pushing herself in this wedding and those things should be her moments (this is also because I invited my FMIL to dress shopping with my mom....which my sister and my mother got it in their minds that my FMIL invited herself). My mother also demanded that we get married in NY where our family is. I told her that I barely know my family and I don't have any of my friend in NY, I will not do that and that is not what both me and my fiance want. She said that my sister would have done it if she asked her.  My sister then got involved in all of this. She stopped talking to me. Told me that my FMIL disrepected her and my mother for not talking to our mother after the engagement party. Also that she made a comment " I can't believe she (my mother) is going to ruin her day", which my FMIL does not remember saying. I wrote her back telling her that I'm a grown woman making my own decision and everyone has to let go. We can get passed this and it will get better. My sister fired back and was very rude so we remained silent. Jump to my dress fitting and my mom coming out here with my stepdad. So my mother wanted my sister and I to talk and get back to where we were. I came over to talk to my sister and she started yelling at me. Telling me that I brushed my family and took my fiance's family's side on everything. They said that I did not care about my mother's feelings and that I was being selfish. Then my sister told me that she was no longer my MOH and that her children were taken out of the bridal party as well. My mother did not say anything and agreed with my sister's actions. I ignored my sister and told my mother that I want to fix this but I need her support. My fiance at this point is furious on how they have been treating me because I have just been hurt this whole time. My fiance and I hoped that maybe meeting with my mother and stepfather and taking them out would help. My stepfather declined to go out. We also invited him to go and pick the menu for the wedding and he declined. My fiance went to shake his hand when he came by and stepfather  ignored him.  My fiance and I have since tried to set up something with my sister to see what we can do to move pass things and she cancelled. We have tried to repair things.  Recently, I asked my step father to walk me down the aisle (even though we were not that close and he was being rude when he was here), he anyways declined. My stepfather told me the reason was because I treated my mother bad. He also stated that my fiance was rude for not acknowledging him when he came out to visit. Mind you this was the visit where my stepfather declined our invitations to eating out, to the catering tasting...all of that. By the way, my mother was the only one at the dress fitting (I have to tell my FMIL not to come. Back to my step father, I told him not to come because I had enough. My mother called me back and asked me to reconsider because she did not want to be at the wedding by herself. I told her that this is where I stand and I am just sick of eveything. She then called my fiance self centered. She is now thinking about not coming to the wedding because she does not want to be alone.  My mother does feel bad for everything that has happened and feels embarrassed because she realizes how I have been having a miserable time. Every mile stone in this wedding....dress fitting, venue picking, all those wonderful moments....I was crying because of all this. My mother realizes this, yet....she still thinks I should try harder to patch thinigs up with my sister and that my stepfather should be invited to the wedding. She has not bought her ticket yet to the wedding because she is not sure she is coming. My wedding is a month away. I give up..... Told you it was a lot. There is much more in all of tha but my hands are tired.....
    Posted by dsclemente[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your mom is jealous. its not your fault at all. Your FMIL was being doing the right thing in being there for you since your own mother couldn't due to living in another state. Your mother took that as something on another level. This whole thing got blown out of proportion bc your mom was acting like a child. she made this whole process about her and ruined your moment. im sorry your whole experience was ruined. This should be a happy time. As far as your sister goes, she was acting like a brat by taking herself out of the wedding. she should have been the mediator between your mother and you. Like PP said, be the bigger person, and move on. You only get to experience this once, and if you sister still declines to come to the wedding, then at least you know you tried, and thats it move on. YOu have her number and know where she stands in your life. You can pick your friends but not your family unfortunately.
  • Options

Our situation is similar but reversed.  His family are the ones acting crazy. We live in two different states, he'll be moving down after we're married.  This past year he spent entirely over seas, so communication was limited between us. 
    We had a very long engagement due to his job and once we hit the point where plans were being made I offered his family if they would like to come with me.  Each time they said they didnt feel like going or they were busy.  My brothers offered to go with me to things like the cake tasting, meetings for the florists, DJ, etc..  I know it bored them to death but I think they really did it because they understood my fiance couldn't be there with me.  I tried to get with his family to make sure noone was forgotten from the family on the guest list and they kept putting me off.  Now fast forward  to about a month before the wedding his parents call him telling him that their feelings are hurt they werent included in anything, how we didnt ask for help (money) etc.  We explained that I invited and each time was refused, they had nothing to say.  At the bridal shower, they sat in a corner & made their faces, didnt socialize with anyone, and left early without saying goodbye.  I just felt that if they were going to come with an attitude then they should not have even bothered. One week later his sister calls him cursing at him that its pretty crappy of him to not include them in anything.  They get into it.  He stands his ground that its our wedding our decision, theyve given no kind of support, & rarely do they ever call/text/email him just to see how he is doing. 
    Here's the downfall: my fiance is a pacifist.  He doesn't like being angry with people nor does he like others being angry with him. We have yet to decide who all will be giving speeches, blessings and the welcoming at the reception.  He wants to extend "an olive branch" and offer his family to do these things.  I know he's doing it to try and patch things between them but, my issue is that I feel those things should be offered to the people who have given us their support.  My best friends dad bless his heart sat me down and just talked to me about married life and asked if we needed help the day of the wedding with setting up, that he canbe there to help out with whatever we need.  We don't need help with stuff like that because the venue is taking care of everything but the fact that he offered just really touched me.  My coworkers bless their hearts they have put in a tremendous effort into planning the bachlorette party with my maid of honor.  My brothers spent their time decorating and setting up for my bridal shower.  I feel like if anything these are the people who we should ask if they can do a blessing or a toast, etc.
    At this point, we are a few weeks away and I'm tired of the crap they keep throwing at us.

**I will most likely go back and delete this, just in case. I didnt mean to hijack your venting session with mine. I just started typing and all that spewed out. Sorry.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_my-planning-has-been-miserable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:38a0e917-9a94-4c69-9ceb-84cff4cbe202Post:6babb561-197a-423f-ad7e-eed3d1b73107">Re: My planning has been miserable......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ignore his family.  They sound like people who won't be pleased regardless of what you do.  They'll find something to complain about. Just an FYI - you don't ask anyone to give toasts or speeches.  Those are in your honor, so no one is directed to do this.  You wait until someone asks if they can do so. Think about it....."I want you to stand up in front of our guests and tell them how wonderful we are and what a wonderful future we deserve." It's a good idea to limit speeches or even not do them at all if you've got contentious relatives.  They're the ones who say stuff that makes you cringe for years if they manage to get hold of the mic.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Makes perfect sense! Thanks Retread! :)</div>
  • Options
    I totally agree with mcda04, this wasn't your fault at all. You've done all that you can, you've reached out to try to mend things, and it seems to make things worse. I would suggest trying once more, as someone else suggested. That way, you know in your heart that you truly did everything in your power. Personally, I think that your family has made mountains out of molehills, and their communication absolutely sucks.

As for your step dad, he sounds quite disrespectful, and like mcda said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with walking on your own down the aisle. That might actually be more empowering to you!

I've had an unhappy wedding planning experience as well, but I tell ya, your family makes mine look like saints! However, one tactic I'm finding that works well is: say nothing; give no details. My own mother is a challenge, and tends to criticize every decision we make, so nowadays, if she asks how the planning is going, she gets a super-short answer: "good, thanks", then I change the subject.

I wish you much luck with the rest of the planning and preparations, and am really sorry that this has been such a cruddy experience for you.

Hugs!
    Alesha

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_my-planning-has-been-miserable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:38a0e917-9a94-4c69-9ceb-84cff4cbe202Post:f2b7c44e-8c1e-4a7b-b9f3-1c5aa4c8f5ff">Re: My planning has been miserable......</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your family is being ridiculous. Your mom played martyr and cried to everyone about feeling left out when she did it to herself. She didn't HAVE to be included because she wasn't paying and if your FMIL was nice enough to contact her about planning, she should've just enjoyed it and plan together. I'm glad you stood up to your sister, mother, and step dad. I think your mom just felt jealous because you were spending time with your FMIL. I think you just ignore your family at this point. If they're going to miss your wedding; it's on them, try to brush it off and move on. Plan everything else with your friends and FMIL. BTW; if your step dad was also disrespectful, I don't think he should be walking you down the aisle. There's nothing wrong with walking by yourself. Trying to "mend" things wasn't your responsibility because you didn't do anything wrong.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards