South Asian Weddings
Options

Sikh(Punjabi) and Christian Wedding Incorporation Ideas/Help

Ladies,

I really need some help!  My fiance and I are getting married and eventhough we are both Christians, he is half Punjabi/White and we are trying to find some ways where we can incorporate some of his culture(punjabi) into our special day. We would like for it to have both traditions but I am all over the place for having this work.  We were going to change attire, but would we have to have our whole wedding party change(this could be very expensive) and we are on a strict budget. All of the Indian weddings I have seen are absoloutely gorgeous and breath taking, and they look very expensive, which there is nothing wrong with that at all, but we just cannot afford an expensive wedding. Are there any ideas you may have on how we could incoporate the indian customs?!  We do not even have a  concrete theme but have our colors, blue and green and our wedding is in May....I just dont know how we can get some indian traditions incorporated with our casual wedding......thanks ladies!

Re: Sikh(Punjabi) and Christian Wedding Incorporation Ideas/Help

• Options
    lildevi15lildevi15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see anything wrong with you and your FI changing attire and no one else, but as it's May, it's probably a bit late.  Blue and green are the colors of peacocks, India's national bird. Peacock feathers here and there make great accents.  Could you incorporate the food - have Indian appetizers, say? 
  • Options
    lildevi15lildevi15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whoops. . .sent that prematurely. . .Have you asked his parents what you could do?

As for decor, you can add peacocks here and there, and you can design them to be casual (there's a girl on etsy sugarskull7 who makes wonderful custom stamps. . .she made a Ganesh stamp for me that's superb). 

Also mehndi designs could be printed on programs and napkins (the peacock is also a common mehndi design. . .sorry, keep pushing the peacocks!).  I painted bottles for a friend once and based the design off mehndi - they turned out great.

Could your party favors have an Indian influence?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    2 amazing resources to check out:

marigoldsandmithai.blogspot.com (has lots of fusion weddings)
    http://weddingnouveau.com/ (cross-cultural weddings)

Agree with the above poster on ideas. Put slight indian influences in the decorations if you can. Marigolds is the standard Indian wedding flower. Maybe you can incorporate that into your decorations. You could also give away Indian favors - like Indian sweets or Indian bottles of chutney. Or serve Indian food at the wedding!

I love this couple's wedding - they are not even Indian but they used an Indian theme for the wedding: http://marigoldsandmithai.blogspot.com/2010/04/inspired-by-india-nina-and-russell.html

Your invitations could be fusion too. Check out 3beespaperie.com or Saimasaysdesign.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards