Jewish Weddings
Options

Chuppahs

I need your help ladies!

FH and I want a chuppah for our non-religious yet keeping-with-Jewish-traditions ceremony (FH is Jewish). I knew they were on the pricey side, but we won't be spending over $200 for one! I did find a listing on Etsy for a very simple but beautiful tulle chuppah with the complete structure, measuring 7' tall and 7' wide. Just what we want. $158. It can withstand 60 lbs of decor, like flowers, if we'd like to add to it but we want it to be just simple, drapey tulle. This is what I found http://www.etsy.com/listing/56560313/economy-wedding-canopy-mandap-bridal and I really  love it. Just want to know what I can expect to pay.

Is anyone else using a chuppah, and if so, what will it look like? Price? DIY or purchase? Or does anyone have one we can buy?

Thought I'd see what anyone had to say.

TIA!

Re: Chuppahs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My florist rented us one for $100 w/decorations... on page 13 on my album there are a few pictures.

I think the one on etsy is gorgeous! Just make sure you know who will set it up and take it down. The setup and take down was the main reason why we didn't do it ourselves... we didn't want to have to bother with it on the wedding day.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The same person who advertises on Etsy also advertises on eBay, with "Standard" or "Deluxe" options as well as the "Economy" one.  Here is a link.

Franklin Party Rentals has a chuppah for rent (picture below).  When we inquired about it (perhaps two years ago), it was $80.

The Israeli Book Shop in Brookline has a chuppah for rent (see picture, below).  However, it is not free-standing, so you would need people to be chuppah bearers.  They also don't list the rental price on their site, so you'd have to call to ask.

We made our own, using the frame of a portable popup gazebo.  Instructions can be found at this link, if you are interested.

Other DIY options:

• This one relies on putting each of the four poles into PVC pipe set into a flowerpot partly filled with concrete for stability.

• This one is based on using a lattice for the ceiling, which stabilizes the whole structure so as to make support for the bottoms of the poles unnecessary.

• This one has a wooden frame at the top, held up by lattices at each of the corners.

• This one has a PVC frame, anchored in concrete.

• This one is based on birch poles put into umbrella stands.

• This one is not free-standing, and would need to be held by four people during the ceremony.  However, it uses bungee cords to attach the four corners of a tallit to the four poles, so that the fabric of the tallit won't get torn if the pole-carriers aren't perfectly in sync.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding!  You can rent the structure from your florist and use a personalized Chuppah to hang below.  I create customized Quilt Chuppahs, which can include the couples name, wedding date, pictures, etc.  It is a really meaningful way to be able to keep part of your ceremony with you forever.  After the wedding, my customers use their Chuppahs as wall hangings, or pass it on to other family members, creating a family heirloom. 
     Check out my work at JamieElaineQuilts.com.  Good luck with all your planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ 2d - Wow! Thanks for all the information!

So far we've found the Etsy listing to be exactly what we want and for the price we want. Can't beat $154 right now.

I checked with the florist we are meeting next weekend and she rents an undecorated chuppah for $250. And then decorated with fabric and florals was over $500. No thank you!

@ Jamie - your quilts are beautiful! I will show my FH but I am not sure we are looknig for something so ornate. But beautiful work nontheless.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_chuppahs-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:98ef215b-21e0-4009-bb91-7cc26b5b4114Post:1201542a-40f6-4151-bb5f-a87f9fa9933d">Re: Chuppahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]My florist rented us one for $100 w/decorations... on page 13 on my album there are a few pictures. I think the one on etsy is gorgeous! Just make sure you know who will set it up and take it down. The setup and take down was the main reason why we didn't do it ourselves... we didn't want to have to bother with it on the wedding day.
    Posted by october010bride[/QUOTE]

I see you're a Boston area bride/wife as well! What florist did you use? Our prospective florist was renting undecorated and decorated between $25 and at least $500. waaaay over our budget.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our florist was in Westboro, Mugford's Flower Shop.... and that cost was way lower than everyother Boston area florist. The quote you have is pretty average to the area.

Do you post on the Boston board? There are a few Jewish knotties who have posted about chppuah prices before... you could always ask for their opinion. 

The reason why ours was cheaper is because 1. there are no flowers, just fall leaves, and 2. is made primarily out of curly willow and birch... both inexpensive and readily available things during the fall. We wanted a fall look for our chuppah so it was an easy decision for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    your chuppah is beautiful! if we don't get simple like the etsy listing, i'd want something just like yours!

i didn't post on the boston board - lack of brain power this week back after the holidays :-P i will though!

who did you work with at mugford's? i may give them a call tonight to get info. on their website they deliver to areas not too far spencer, where we are getting married, so i hope they'd include us. we'll see.

thanks so much!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chris is the owner of Mugford's and the only "florist". There is another woman she works with that sometimes answers the phone but just ask to talk to Chris.

We were married in Framingham/Westborough so we didn't have a delivery fee but just know that there might be one because it's not right next door.

Glad I could help!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The other thing to remember is that if you are making or buying a chuppah instead of renting, you can probably resell it afterward.  We actually resold ours for more than the cost of the materials.
  • Options
    aleznoffaleznoff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made sure that the florist I went with had a chuppah we could rent.  It is a beautiful white cloth chuppah, and she is decorating it with crystal strands and various flowers.  It is $200. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards