New York-Upstate

Locations for a destinationish wedding in NY/VT/MA?

I'm aggravated because my vision for my perfect wedding just isnt happening. I refuse to have a cookie cutter wedding. Unfortunately, it seems like everything my fiance and I want, costs a fortune and we cant afford it. When we started planning our wedding, we wanted to take a cruise to Bermuda with 15 of our closest family and friends and get married while in Bermuda. It was going to be perfect and surprisingly cheap. Then both of our dads, who are very old school, started complaining about having to take the cruise and even said that they would not come. While, I think both of them were full of crap and if this is what we decided, they wouldn't miss it for the world, I dont want to make them do something that they dont want to. 

Having a local wedding would be fine but I haven't been able to find a venue to my liking and all of the little things just keep adding up. I also have always been a firm believer that you should never invite someone to your wedding that you wouldn't have over for dinner. 90% of our guest lists falls under the "would not have over for dinner" category. I would prefer to share the day with my nearest and dearest but having a local wedding just wont allow for it. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for destinationish wedding locations up to about 3 hours away from Saratoga? 

Re: Locations for a destinationish wedding in NY/VT/MA?

• edited December 2011
    How about boldt castle in the thousand islands its really cheap all you have to do is pay for the admission ticket and the boat ride over. thats where we wanted ours but we have grandparents that cant walk good and a sister that is REALLY motion sick lol. that is my dream wedding its beautiful up there i live in ontario nyKiss
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Silver Bay (northern Lake George) and loved it!  It is a YMCA camp and the campus is very nice. If you want to cut down the guest list and have a more intimate wedding, they have a boathouse that has an area where you could do the reception (maybe even the ceremony).  It is just gorgeous and a great setting.  I know that a lot of dates have filled for 2010, but they sometimes do more than one wedding per day so if you didn't mind not having the ceremony in the chapel, they might be able to accommodate your wedding.  Their website is www.silverbay.org.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And I should have mentioned that our wedding was a destination wedding where the large majority of our guests traveled 2 or more hours to the wedding.  They have a really nice Inn (the rooms are kind of rustic) that can accommodate your guests.  There are also a lot of places nearby (like in Bolton Landing) where guests can stay.
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing ours in Lake Placid. Its about 5 hours from everyone on our list (or more for friends) and although its not like a "resort" the town is "resort-like" enough for us. It made our parents happy, too, because its "traditional enough" and the people at the Crown Plaza really know their stuff. But Im sure that people at the Whiteface Club, or anywhere else would be great, too. 

That said, if you are into the "summercamp" thing, I have spoken to the folks at Point-o-Pines camp which is maybe in Warrensburg (between Lake George and Lake Placid) and they seemed really on top of it, to -- though obviously we didnt go with that. 

Good luck! 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we are having a destination-ish wedding 3H away in lake george! but i will also recommend Lennox Mass, in the Berkshires.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards