Registry and Gift Forum

Christmas gifts off registry

Hi ladies,

I did a search but didn't quite find the answer.  We have been receiving some Christmas gifts off our registry - are you sending thank you cards for these?  In our family & friends group, we don't usually do thank you cards for Christmas gifts.  Our wedding is not until April so for sure these are not early gifts for our wedding.
Anniversary

Re: Christmas gifts off registry

• We always send thank you cards for any gift we're given.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    If they are Christmas gifts, I wouldn't write wedding TY notes for them, but we do write thank you notes for any gifts recived, except within my immediate family, where we generally do an in person or telephone thank you instead.  I don't think you can ever go wrong by writing a thank you note.  

I would make sure they are Christmas gifts, though, before you start using them.  Do those people usually get you Christmas gifts?  Do the cards indicate they are Christmas gifts?  We got gifts three months before the wedding that were wedding gifts.  
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also write thank yous for any gift received - no matter the occasion.

I would also ditto the PP that suggests you find out if these gifts are meant for Christmas. That depends on how soon your wedding is. 
  • Hi ladies,

Thanks for those responses.  These are definitely christmas gifts - the greeting card indicates so.  For family & friends that we are close enough to exchange gifts with, we usually get together at our family christmas gathering, or the day after with our friends, and do our gift exchanges - everyone thanks each other in person, so it's not typical for us to all then go home and again send each other thank you cards. 

But this year we've received a couple of gifts in the mail from folks who are not in town for the holidays this year and won't see in person, so we'll send them thank you cards.
    Anniversary
  • I always send thank you cards for any gift. It is what I was taught to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it sounds like a plan to personally thank those with whom you exchange gifts in person and then send a note to those who sent gifts.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_christmas-gifts-off-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:adbb6b49-456e-4e91-9c29-b0843a963efePost:4e547d59-f19e-4163-9bcd-e5e7ac1adf62">Re: Christmas gifts off registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always send thank you cards for any gift. It is what I was taught to do.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

Same here. Never can be wrong thanking too much. Never know who you offend by not doing them though.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards