Christian Weddings
Options

Stress Relief?

Okay, I'm going to be a problem child.

I am freakinggg out. I've struggled with anxiety for the last 6 or 7 years so this is kind of normal, but I don't think it's ever been this bad...

I'm having trouble with (read: cannot handle) people (who I love) even talking to me. My phone is either buzzing with a text or a phone call every other minute and I can't find silence anywhere.

It's probably wedding related, but I'm done with everything on my to do list. I'm starting to feel crazy because I should be happy and excited but I'm just losing my mind.

Suggestions for things to do to relieve whatever is making me feel like this? Prayer would also be great. <3
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: Stress Relief?

• Options
    BronwynHBronwynH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Turn off the phone & do something that you find relaxing like take a bath, watch a movie, eat a yummy desert, read the BIble. Hope your stress level gets better & easier to handle! I'll be praying for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am right there with you, Sarah!

When my phone beeps, rings, or vibrates i just feel like screaming! I have been listening to worship music every chance that i can. And even putting my phone on silent for an hour or so (i'll text FI and let him know... so he doesnt worry when i dont text right back..cuz i ALWAYS do.). 

Also... just taking time to take a deep breath in... and then let it out. I dont know why this helps... haha...but it does. I take a moment to just focus on my breathing (its nice to focus on something soo small when you have been in wedding mode for soo long). In with the good... out with the bad. (;

Prayer! I have to just talk to God and tell him how i feel - happy, sad, mad, upset, frustrated, excited, nervous, overwhelmed, confused...all of it. 

hope this helps.

Jesus, i just lift Your princess, Sarah, up to You. Comfort her in this very very exciting (and stressful) time in her life. Lord i just pray that your supernatural peace will overflow her and her FI right now, God. I declare that love will be in Sarah's heart and mind. I declare that the JOY of the Lord is Sarah's strength. Give her that true laughter joy, Lord. 
    in Jesus name - AMEN
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you seen a professional about your anxiety? Biologically, stress is the release of certain hormones and changes in metabolic rates. You fix it by doing one of two things. You use up the stress through exercise, or you replace it with calming activities. Calming activities are eating chocolate and milk, meditation, deep breathing, quiet music, etc.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_stress-relief?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d1ffa8f3-a868-4678-ad88-705ac60ebc29Post:a2ea577a-4501-478c-9222-4db021114faf">Re: Stress Relief?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you seen a professional about your anxiety?
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

Yep. Ranging from one to three times a week for the last five years. I was given strategies to deal with it, but I think I've been so anxious for so long now that I'm just unbelievably worked up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm .... 
    1. Breathe.
    2. Turn off the phone, but before you do, ask someone to be your "go to" person so if anyone needs to get in touch with you, they can call them.  Record a new voicemail message to that effect with their contact number.
    3. Find something that relaxes you - for me, it's candles, a cold lemonade, maybe a movie.  Get a moment of respite.  
    4. Lift your anxiety up to God - "Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you."
    5. If you are a list person like me, make a very small to-do list with a few things you can do last minute.  Knowing that you still have a few things to do, but that they are organized, actually relaxes me so that I can leave the list alone and come back to it later.

Hope these tips help ... that's what I do when I need to relieve some anxiety.  Well, that and I'm a stress eater.  Chocolate, in small, melt-in-your-mouth bites might be a good solution - that's how I usually manage my stress-eating. 

Praying for you, Sarah!  Oh, and don't forget to take it ALL in as you head towards the final days of wedding prep - you're done, you can just focus on celebrating this time with your soon-to-be-husband!!!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you're getting professional help. I'm sure what I said sounded silly and simplistic by comparison.
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, turn off your phone.  Then find a quiet place.  If your home isn't quiet, go somewhere else, like a library.  I prefer darkness as well, so I have a tendency to lock myself in the bathroom (no windows),  Third, focus on your breathing.  After a while my anxiety will decrease enough so that I can think.  You might feel up to talking - if you do, call someone, like your FI.

Are you taking any medication?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_stress-relief?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d1ffa8f3-a868-4678-ad88-705ac60ebc29Post:0fe63dc4-da08-4488-a00d-baa6ea56c122">Re: Stress Relief?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you taking any medication?
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

<div>No. And honestly, right now, I wish I was.</div><div>
    </div><div>I was thinking about starting on some earlier this year, but I never did. Depending on how things go after the wedding, I'll probably be making an appointment with my primary for some medication...</div><div>
    </div><div>Edit: I hope you meant anxiety medication. I'm on lots of other medication. I'm kind of a sickly one.</div>
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Jenn on locking yourself in the bathroom.  I frequently escape to the potty when I need to be alone.  Also, I love Kelly's idea of picking a point person and then changing the recording on your phone to direct people to your point person.  I didn't have a go-to person until the day of the wedding, but everyone (BMs, Mom, MIL, etc) were told in no uncertain terms that I was not to be bothered with anything and that everyone and everything should be routed through the DOC.  It worked out really well and I didn't know about most of the problems until after the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would try anti-anxiey mediction-I've had anxiety for forevvverr, and then I took Celexa, and it works amazingly!  Also, when you need tiny moments of silence, try going to this website:  donothingfor2minutes.com
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_stress-relief?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d1ffa8f3-a868-4678-ad88-705ac60ebc29Post:7f35c8f8-3a62-4a81-a690-939257832195">Re: Stress Relief?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stress Relief? : No. And honestly, right now, I wish I was. I was thinking about starting on some earlier this year, but I never did. Depending on how things go after the wedding, I'll probably be making an appointment with my primary for some medication... Edit: I hope you meant anxiety medication. I'm on lots of other medication. I'm kind of a sickly one.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

yup, I meant anxiety medication.  It takes a while to start working, but it's helped me. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I traded phones. That way people texting to say they aren't coming or my mom asking about this or that will be talking to FI instead of me. That should help me quite a bit.

He also encouraged me to sleep in and spend some time at the library (my favorite place) tomorrow and Friday.

I think I'm going to be okay...Thanks, ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's who mentioned turning off your phone... wait just saw your FB status update and your post above that said you and your FI traded phones. GREAT idea!
    Do you have a favorite feel good tv show on dvd you could pop in and escape to another world for a while? I have all 10 seasons of Friends on dvd, and watching that show is a great stress reliever for me or if I'm having a bad day emotionally because it'll always make me laugh.

Take a nice bubble bath, light some candles, play some low key music, read a magazine or a book you've been putting off if you've been to busy, have a glass of wine (if you have any or enjoy wine), go out for a run, or just take a nap. Naps are the best!
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the girls-- turn off the phone and do something you enjoy. I know your wedding is super close (YAY!) but try to set aside some non-wedding time during the day.

I also want to sympathize. I have horrible anxiety as well. I know how you feel. The strategies the psychologist gave you really do help-- promise. It's hard to stop, think, and do the exercies but it really really can make a difference if you can get yourself to do it. 

I'll be praying!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_stress-relief?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d1ffa8f3-a868-4678-ad88-705ac60ebc29Post:e52cd58d-6d8e-4c67-92e8-3a6972fe4189">Re: Stress Relief?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Turn off the phone & do something that you find relaxing like take a bath, watch a movie, eat a yummy desert, read the BIble. Hope your stress level gets better & easier to handle! I'll be praying for you!
    Posted by BronwynH[/QUOTE]

This. That's exactly what I was going to write. Take a little while (even if it's an hour) and do something you enjoy. Personally, I tend to take walks with my dog when I'm stressed... works like a charm :)
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am very prone to anxiety.  The month leading up to the wedding was extremely overwhelming for me.  It all goes away on the wedding day (or after).  Just hang in there... try to delegate if you can and do something fun and relaxing.  I would have loved a massage if I could have afforded it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards