Catholic Weddings
Options

who's hosting Easter dinner?

plan is to go to the vigil saturday night.  we're cooking for 9 on sunday. 

after a "dry" lent, i'm really looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner on sunday!!  :-)

Re: who's hosting Easter dinner?

• Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me! ILs and my grandma are coming. MIL is going to teach me how to make paschka bread (since I failed so hard at it last year) and pierogi. We'll be going to vigil at midnight. Then stuffing our faces with our blessed Easter basket goodies at about 3am when it's over. For dinner I'll be making a combo of our traditional Italian and Slovak Easter foods. NOM NOM NOM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol.  We're not doing anything.  I've got to sing for the Vigil and 11am Mass on Easter.  Then I'll probably do some work since the wedding will be 6 days away, although it will be mostly real work to make up for the time I'm taking for the wedding, lol.  Happy Easter to me, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're going to Easter Vigil, and then on Sunday I'm making ham, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, and banana cream pie.  Just for me and H.  I dont have any family around so, it's just us.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to DC on Friday morning as it's my sister's turn this year.  We alternate Easter between us.  One brother does Thanksgiving, one Christmas.  One sister doesn't do holidays at all.

I prefer it here though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will also attend the Easter Vigil Saturday night.

We were actually invited to a friends house for dinner about 3pm. Her H is deployed right now, so it is pretty much just her and the kids. We will probably do some ham slices on the grill (burgers and hot dogs for the kids) along with scalloped potatoes and a veggy. When I cook, I usually do green bean casserole and sweet potatoes, but I don't think I am going all out this year. And once of us will make something for dessert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents are hosting Easter, so all of my mother's side of the family will be going there. My brother is flying down to join us, and my other brother along with myself and my fiance will drive over to spend the day there. I can't wait to see all of the extended family that I haven't seen in a while. My fiance and I will be going to mass Easter morning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    One year, my sister got tickets through the Junior League for all of us to go to the noon mass at National Cathedral.  I think it was about 20 of us.

It was about 15 minutes into the service that I realized that it wasn't a Catholic Church.  That was dumb on my part, I must have known that the National Cathedral was Episcopal, not Catholic.

It was a lovely service and the music was spectacular.  Half the senate was there to be seen by all.

It was totally a lot longer than a Catholic mass, even on Easter.  oh well, at least I learned something new
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family has a get-together on Saturday morning, then we're going to Easter Vigil in the evening. I'm not sure what, if anything, we are going to do on Sunday, since FI has a test Monday (boo)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're going to my parent's house, but we're making dinner!

We had originally planned to have everyone at our place and my husband was really excited to cook a fancy meal, but then our kitchen renovations ruined those plans...so we're going to use my parent's kitchen!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm singing at Good Friday service, then Holy Saturday morning I'll be headed up to my FI's. He and I will go to Vigil Saturday night at this tiny, totally charming church that is close to his home up there.

Sunday we go to his sister's house for a family gathering and dinner. He picks up his son at noon...it has always been a lovely day.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not I, said the fly.

My mother's hosting.  Our place is too small.

Also, I'm still traumatized from the last Easter meal I hosted.  
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_whos-hosting-easter-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e8032c29-02eb-4e3c-ac45-2c7eff058ba7Post:68009393-d9bd-4354-b10f-1eb17f87d2b7">Re: who's hosting Easter dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not I, said the fly. My mother's hosting.  Our place is too small. Also, I'm still traumatized from the last Easter meal I hosted.  
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

What happened?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Docta, that's decidedly not a CW-appropriate story.  I'll send you a message.  ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm making my first Easter dinner, but it's only for FI and me. He has to fly out for work on Easter (really!?!) and can't attend the family dinner on Sunday, so, I'm making him his own dinner on Saturday.

Ham, pasta w/ homemade meat sauce, roasted sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, and bread with roasted garlic. I'm also making a chocolate cake w/ nutella and raspberry filling.

I'm starting super ealy in the morning so we can attend Easter Vigil that night. I joined the Church last Easter Vigil, so, this service is very meaningful to me :)
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    mica, i'm curious now too!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    It's a long story.  We'll just say that I spent two days preparing, then right before the meal was served, some of my guests got into an argument and ruined the meal for the rest of us.  All that work, and no one enjoyed my meal.  :(
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

bummer!  i hate when people act like infants.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Since I am away at college and my friend's family is coming I was invited to go to mass and share Easter with them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards