Michigan-Detroit
Options

Getting married AND buying a house

My fiancee and I are getting married in less than 2 months and our offer was just accepted on a house yesterday! Yay!  Has anyone else gotten married and bought a house so close together and what are your tips for staying sane during this exciting yet crazy time?

Re: Getting married AND buying a house

• Options
    I haven't bought a house and gotten married close together, but did buy a house and move into it 7 days after I had my last child, my daughter, so I can sort of relate, LOL.

Verify with the real estate agent the dates you will NOT be available for signing papers, getting keys, etc, due to wedding arrangements. They have to work around your wedding and honeymoon schedule, so make that clear. Give them a block of 2 weeks before the wedding, and the period of time you will be gone for your HM and tell them under no circumstances are you available those days. That should help with some stress relief.

Just make sure you take REALLY good care of your friends, see if they can help with packing & moving, and then treat them to something special like a pizza party and beer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We plan on starting our house hunt in the next few months and our wedding is in April, so I could run into the same situation as you. Come back and share your experience lol!
  • Options
    I am!  We're getting married on the 22nd and moving in the first week of July with the HM in the middle.

My tip for sanity is to work on both when you can.  I'll work on one thing (wedding DIY project for example) and then do something with the other (ie assemble new furniture for the living room) and then go back and forth.  Also, I expect long days of doing both if I'm not working.  Beyond that, plan time to do neither.  My FI and I still do date nights where we talk about nothing house or wedding related for the night.

Where are you thinking of moving to?
  • Options
    We are towards the end of building our home, about 30 days from move in and we are getting married on October 27th 2012.  Things have gone smoothly up to this point, our mortgage company has thrown a wrench in everything.  I have to be honest it's pretty hard right now to not freak out.  I never would have imagined that this would be such an issue.  I'm disgusted with customer service and the kind of people that they hire to be in charge of such important documentation.  I am impressed however with how smoothly things have gone with our builder, he is amazing.  I suppose there is give and take with every situation...

Best advice I can give is double and triple check your credit reports, all docs from your loan company, and be on their asses every single day.  Always remember to keep the communication open between you and FI, because at the end of the day you are the 2 that matter.  Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes to answer your question. My husband and I at the at time were engaged, planning a wedding, house hunting, and became houseowners. All right before our wedding happen.
    The only advice that I can give you is to try to take day by day. These two events in your life are mixed with many so emotions and feelings. Just remember to take a deep breath because everything will work out okay. Don't overwhelm yourself to much! Everything will be okay I promise!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards