Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

What kind of food?!?!

Hello to all

So my wedding will be in April 2012. I know still long ways to go but I want to start looking into things now rather than later. I don't want to be stress. Well we have reserve our ceremony and wedding location next thing I want to work on it's food! My fiancee is African American and i am Mexican American I'm saying this because I wasn't thinking of having Mexican food.. I was thinking more like some pastas I guess I could say Italian.. But one of my friends brought to my attention that most weddings serve pastas it's the I guess I could say "American" thing.Our reception will be multi ethnic ! So now I don't know what to do. I know most people love Mexican food. I was thinking of maybe doing Mexican/ soul food? But like what?!.. I'm extremely confused and need your input. My fiancee doesn't care as long as he can eat it! Lol thanks so much!!

Re: What kind of food?!?!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think those food options all sound delicious.  What time of day and how formal are you thinking about?  Buffet or seated? 

It seems like having stations would be a good way to incorporate multiple ideas: a Mexican food station, an Italian food station, and a soul food station.  For the Mexican food station: enchiladas, burritos (maybe cut in half--that's what I've seen at buffets so people don't have to have a whole one), a salsa bar.  For the soul food station: mac and cheese, collard greens, and I don't have much more here off the top of my head, because I'm vegetarian.  For the Italian station: a few different pasta dishes, eggplant parm. 
  • Options
    trawas01trawas01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mexican and Soul are going to be very different (but both yummy!)

If you want to incorprate both into dinner, stations could be a nice idea but could become expensive if your thinking staffed/chef stations. Two seperate buffetts is an option but that sounds like over kill on food.

You could do one ethnicity for the cocktail hour (empanadas, quesdillas, chips and salsa all make fantastic appetizers) and then switch over to soul food for a sit down dinner? You could make up cute menu cards with a brief explantation of your hertiage and his and the reasoning for the "split" menu.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_kind-of-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b50cd3db-08dd-4113-973e-8ce598e16d4dPost:0a4614ad-99f1-4d61-996a-a726ab782190">Re: What kind of food?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE] You could do one ethnicity for the cocktail hour (empanadas, quesdillas, chips and salsa all make fantastic appetizers) and then switch over to soul food for a sit down dinner?
    Posted by trawas01[/QUOTE]

I like this idea!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Prisl04Prisl04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you girls! I think I like those ideas aswell .. I will look more into it
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds amazing. I love the station idea. I think your guests would have a blast! Make sure to keep us up to date :-)
  • Options
    lsk40lsk40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Think about the guess they will want something different I am AA and I get so tired if soul food and Im sure its the same for mexican food I would do something different why do you guys have to do soul food and mexican food just because he is black and you are mexican don't listen to your friends if you want the pasta do it do something that you both love

• Options
    Prisl04Prisl04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ isk40 ..thank you!!! That is the main reason why I don't want Mexican bcuz well honestly that what I grew up with.. I guess if we had a theme wedding it would work but I've bern thinking about and most likely will stick to pasta and maybe do Mexican appetizers not sure still but thank you! Annd yes I need to stop Listening to people!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_kind-of-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b50cd3db-08dd-4113-973e-8ce598e16d4dPost:e34a6df8-1543-444b-b853-a3d7df9f3b38">Re: What kind of food?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Think about the guess they will want something different I am AA and I get so tired if soul food and Im sure its the same for mexican food I would do something different why do you guys have to do soul food and mexican food just because he is black and you are mexican don't listen to your friends if you want the pasta do it do something that you both love
    Posted by lsk40[/QUOTE]

I agree! Do what YOU 2 like. I had my mom make my fav. ethnic food dish for my wedding bc I just couldn't get enough of it, and can NEVER replicate it to taste as good as hers did, other than that we went with other stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards