DC
Options

catholic and getting marrid on a sunday

hi ladies,

my girlfriend is getting married july 4 (sunday) next year but cannot find a catholic priest that will marry them on a Sunday that is not during mass.

do you know of any more "laid back" catholic priests who will do a ceremony either in a church or at an outdoor venue?  she prefers someplace in VA but anyone/where will do at this point.

thanks!!

Re: catholic and getting marrid on a sunday

• Options
    Kitcat106Kitcat106 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try checking the officiants listed on the Knot's local board. I saw a rather laid-back priest listed on there who does interfaith marriage. he'd probably marry your friend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've always been under the impression they *can't* marry on a Sunday, but I have no point of reference.  

One thing I was considering (when I was looking at Sundays for my wedding) was doing a private family ceremony on the Saturday (basically the rehearsal would be the real deal) and then do a smaller blessing ceremony on the Sunday.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How laid-back are you talking? And how majorly RC do you need him to be? Those I have talked to throug www.rentapriest.com rocks, but it's not for everyone...
  • Options
    jpvacajpvaca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fr. Michael Kelley at St. Martin's on North Capital. He is great and super laid back.

Mass at his church is at 1220pm (till about 2pm I think) so prob best if you can work around that time... but he sometimes doesn't do mass on Sunday bc he is doing a wedding elsewhere...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It will be hard to find a Catholic priest to do an outdoor ceremony.

It depends on the parish, if the parish is small and only has one or two priests, they won't perform weddings on Sunday due to having performed masses all morning.

I am getting married on a Sunday in Bethesda, MD at Church of the Little Flower.  They have 5 priests in the parish (its attached to a school) and will perform Sunday weddings.  However, we are required to have a full-mass since we're marrying on a Sunday and are required to use the readings from Sunday (rather than choosing our own)

Some churches may also perform the wedding ceremony on Sunday without a mass if they are a smaller parish with priests who performed morning masses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards