June 2012 Weddings

XP: Please help me decide what to do with my nails

Morning ladies. I've been growing my nails out for about 5-6 weeks and it was all going great until last week. They were long, strong, and pretty and I planned on getting a shellac manicure for the wedding. Last week, they ALL started to chip and break and are now pretty short. There's no way they'll be grown out as much as I was hoping by my nail appointment next Thursday.

So, my options are to keep them short and still get a shellac manicure, or to get gel nails put on. I love the look of gel nails on other people, but I'm seriously worried about what they'll do to my nails. It isn't something I'll be maintaining - once they're off, I won't be getting another set. I've read all kinds of stuff about how your nails are super sensitive to cleaning products after they're removed, the gel contains chemicals that can cause dermatitis in some individuals (which I already get on my fingers from something but I don't know what), etc. All the horror stories, KWIM? And then there's the issue of getting the darn things off. Is it hard? I would want to get rid of the nails within a week or two or having them.

I need to make my nail appointment today. Please help me choose what to do, as manicures are really not something I'm used to debating in my day to day life. HELP!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: Please help me decide what to do with my nails

• If you are not used to fake nails, I wouldn't get them.  The only time I ever had them was my senior prom and I vowed never to get them again.  My nails had basically deteriorated and were super thin and sensitive after the fake nails were removed.  
  • I agree with PP.  Just get a shellac manicure with shorter nails. It stinks they all broke so close to your big day.
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Say no to fake nails!  Shellac will look fabulous even on shorter nails!
    image 145 Invited
    image 121 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image Everyone has finally RSVP'd!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have had fake nails many times before and I think it's one of the reasons my nails are so brittle now.  I'd definitely go with the Shellac.....SO much better for your nails.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with PP's. I personally have and maintain fake nails, but they are horrible for your real nails, and if you don't plan on keeping up with them they will do more harm than it is worth. Also, they are pretty hard to get off that soon, and it is somewhat painful. I think shellac would look great, even on shorter nails.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the input ladies, I think I'll stick with the shellac. In the end, I'm sure I'll be happier. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've gotten shellac before and really liked it.  I recommend that! 
  • How does shellac work. I've seen it talked about a lot of here and never heard of it before. Is it similar to acrylic nails or more like a regular manicure with fancier nail polish that stays longer?

I want the french manicure look, can I get that with the shellac?
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_please-help-me-decide-what-to-do-with-my-nails?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:a88d954e-451d-4c55-8705-4fdf9352f114Post:c3647fab-f94f-4007-8784-0abc3b3c069b">Re: XP: Please help me decide what to do with my nails</a>:
    [QUOTE]How does shellac work. I've seen it talked about a lot of here and never heard of it before. Is it similar to acrylic nails or more like a regular manicure with fancier nail polish that stays longer? I want the french manicure look, can I get that with the shellac?
    Posted by MMCBRIDE4[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, you can get a shellac french manicure! I've never done it myself, but I know that a shellac manicure is cured with UV light, so it doesn't smudge or chip.</div>
  • I'm confused about shellac as well. Can I get a clear shellac, or would that be pointless?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards