Getting in Shape
Options

Actually eating breakfast

I know that diet is an important part to being able to lose weight.  And breakfast is supposed to be really important to helping your metabolism started plus helps avoid binge eating of sugary stuff later in the day.  But I still suck at eating breakfast.  I usually wake up in the mornings with just enough time to get ready for work and that's it.  I'm not really a morning person, so usually I'd rather sleep than eat.  Any ideas for super easy healthy breakfast items?  Preferably not oatmeal, cause I don't really like it.

Re: Actually eating breakfast

• Options
    Have you tried any protein shakes or breakfast bars?  Those are quick and easy and you can easily eat them on the way to work.  You could also try for fruit (apples, bananas, grapes) which can be easy to munch on in the car.
  • Options

I usually plan/prepare my breakfast the night before.  If I want scrambled eggs or something that takes a little time to make I will make them the night before and heat them up when I have time at work. 
    Greek yogurt - I buy the large containers and the night before I will put a serving in a smaller container (and mix in almonds or something!) that I can just grab on my way out the door.

• Options
    OP, I feel ya with just giving yourself enough time to get ready and I'm always running out the door. I just grab stuff to eat when I get to my desk. My commute is literally three minutes (1 stoplight between my subdivision and the school I work at) so I don't need to wait that long for breakfast.

Ditto PP's about eating a protein bar and fruit in the car. I always have a greek yogurt for breakfast- that would be a little harder to eat during a car ride though.

Do you like eggs? I saw an idea on pinterest (haven't tried it) where you basically make eggs in a cup cake tray. You can put various veggies into them so they're like mini egg-veggie concoctions that would be easy to grab from the fridge. You can make them all different so you don't get bored. And you can make them on Sunday night then have them for the week.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I'm not a morning person either, so I plan a lot of my morning routine the night before. Protein bars and fruit would be a great breakfast for on the go. You could also prep a protein shake the night before, but wait until the morning to add water, and then shake it up as you're heading out the door. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I blend chocolate almond milk with some ice, a teaspoon of instant coffee (obviously just for the caffeine boost haha) and a couple of scoops of protein powder. Not the healthiest breakfast/smoothie option in the world, but definitely not the worst and better than nothing at all!
  • Options
    It took me a while to get used to eating breakfast. At first, I just had no appetite in the morning. Just looking at food made me nauseous. I started by taking small granola bars with me on my drive. Sometimes I could only eat half, but it was a start. With time I was able to eat a little more and a little more. Now I'm able to sit down & have a bowl of cereal or 2 waffles. 

Like PP said, pick small items that you can travel with. Protein shakes are great because you can mix it quickly in your hand. I tried making protein smoothies & it just took too much time. Protein bars, PB&J sandwich, and all of the other items PP mentioned all work great. 
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    Make these:   http://pinterest.com/pin/104849497544613310/

I made up a big batch for my H on Sunday night, throw them in a baggie in the fridge, and they're good all week.  My H just takes one or two with him to work and then microwaves them for a few seconds.  But microwaving isn't necessary.
  • Options
    If you're able to eat at school/work, I always recommend yogurts. I try to eat yogurt at least 3 days a week.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_actually-eating-breakfast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:bd6309ab-eea8-4de1-88dd-4edddd4eeb30Post:c99918e2-c827-4097-b472-6af8848102f3">Re: Actually eating breakfast</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're able to eat at school/work, I always recommend yogurts. I try to eat yogurt at least 3 days a week.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

This. I'm like you, just getting into  this whole breakfast thing actually. I have to get up really early so I've been bringing a greek yogurt and a protein bar to work with me and eating it as I work through the morning. It's been working pretty well.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I either do a protein bar (look into something that is low fat!) or the greek yougart with some organic granola. If I'm in a hurry that's something that I can take with me to go and then wash it out when I get to work. I am like you and wouldn't wake up to make breakfast if I didn't have to, 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am so not a morning person. It's really hard for me to work up an appetite when I get up so early, and like you, I just need things I can grab and go. 

I love Zone bars, those are my usual go-to protein bars.  There are a ton of flavors and I feel like I'm getting a chocolate fix at the same time.  I also love yoplait light yogurt.  Tons of flavors there too, and also makes me feel like I'm eating a dessert.  
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Things I eat if I have minutes in the morning: 

-Oatmeal (you said no, I know) 
    -Grapenuts
    -Nonfat greek yogurt with cinnamon

What I eat when I am running out the door: 
    Banana and a hard boiled egg. 

Every Sunday I hard boil a bunch of eggs so I have NO excuse for not eating breakfast. 
    It IS important. It took me a long time to accept this, but it's true. 

GL op! 
  • Options
    I eat a piece of toast on my way to class at the Y, and bring a protein smoothie to eat afterwards.  I also make egg sandwiches and freeze them - you can microwave a scrambled egg in a small, round bowl that will fit on an English muffin or other bread.  Easy to grab and go.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks, those are some pretty good ideas.  And it would be easy for me to make an egg veggie mix the night before.  I actually like eating eggs for breakfast cause they're one of the things that help me feel full for quite awhile afterwards.

Otherwise it sounds like I'll have to start looking into some healthy protein bars and shakes.  I think I'll start with anything I can eat heading out door.  If I do that for awhile maybe I'll actually start feeling hungry and then it'll be easier to eat heavier items.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    I'm a lot like that too.  A SlimFast and FiberOne bar gets me through the morning. On the rare occasion that I get up on time, I have a Keurig brew some coffee for me. I know that's not the most optimal, but it's a lot better than a McDonald's burrito or worst, nothing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_actually-eating-breakfast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:bd6309ab-eea8-4de1-88dd-4edddd4eeb30Post:5131a187-1271-4b84-8823-a14482cc15d1">Re: Actually eating breakfast</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a lot like that too.  A SlimFast and FiberOne bar gets me through the morning. On the rare occasion that I get up on time, I have a Keurig brew some coffee for me. I know that's not the most optimal, but it's a lot better than a McDonald's burrito or worst, nothing.
    Posted by AngelRiddle[/QUOTE]

Actually, a McD's breakfast burrito would be better  There is some good protein to be had from eggs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_actually-eating-breakfast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:bd6309ab-eea8-4de1-88dd-4edddd4eeb30Post:cdb75799-3e2c-4a5d-84d0-eb3a1d7e06e1">Re: Actually eating breakfast</a>:
    [QUOTE]I eat a piece of toast on my way to class at the Y, and bring a protein smoothie to eat afterwards. <strong> I also make egg sandwiches and freeze them</strong> - you can microwave a scrambled egg in a small, round bowl that will fit on an English muffin or other bread.  Easy to grab and go.
    Posted by LesPaul[/QUOTE]

I do this, but with breakfast burritos. I use the low carb tortillas from trader joes, plus 2 egg whites, 1 ounce of cheese, and some hot sauce. Wrap in foil, throw in the freezer. Nuke for 90 seconds when you get to work. You can also skip the hot sauce and bring a small tupperware of salsa with you on the side. It's great and filling.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards