Getting in Shape
Options

Weight Loss Pills? Cleanses?

HI Ladies,

I am trying to work out and eat healthy, but I have a few months to get to a better weight, and wanted to ask if anybody has used Diet Pills, or Cleanses, and if so which ones actually work?

I tried a cleanse this past week, and felt so hungry.  I would like to find a diet pill that just helps keep my energy high, and hunger level low.

Any suggestions?

Re: Weight Loss Pills? Cleanses?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    How about just eating right and exercising? There is no such thing as a miracle pill out there thats going to make you lose weight. Losing weight is hard work - it's not as simple as just taking a pill and you drop 10 lbs. You will not get results if you do not push yourself. Try something like myfitnesspal so you can track your calories as well as protein, sugar, carbs etc and incorporate fitness with that. If you keep on it, you will see restults.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Fiber.

Forget about pills and cleanses.  Your body (unless there is a medical problem) naturally cleanses out your system provided you are eating well.  A healthy, green diet will help facilitate this.  As for pills, I tried a few in years past and I think they're mostly crap.  Plus, a lot have weird side effects like heart palpitations.  Not fun.

If you eat good food, there is no reason to ever be hungry.  If I think I'm getting hungry, I eat an apple, have some yogurt, make a smoothie, have a treat.  Weight loss doesn't have to be about depriving yourself.  I find that certain foods keep me full longer and give me a bit of a boost.  Oatmeal, cereal with fruit, protein quesodillas, peanut butter anything, eggs..

Good Luck!
  • Options
    maribeth and anna covered it, there is no quick, magical solution to weight loss.  It requires hard work and a proper, healthy diet.  I'm not surprised you were really hungry while on a cleanse, the calorie counts for those plans are very insufficient usually. 

Oh and anna, I <3 your sig.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thank you ladies!  I know I sound lazy wishing for a magic pill.  It is so hard to keep things on track on the weekends.  I have 3 other friends getting married each week following my wedding, so we have something every weekend.  One weekend is a Bridal shower with foods and drinks, the next its a bachelorette weekend.  I just wish I could focus on my health, but it seems to be hard with everything for all the brides.

Thanks again! 

Any other suggestions please post!  I would love more tips on healthy food options and/or anything else!
  • Options
    Always be wary of diet pills and cleanses.  It's all a marketing scheme designed to waste your money.  Any personal trainer will tell you that it takes a healthy diet (most important) and regular exercise to get in and stay in shape.  It is a lifestyle and it takes dedication.  Let me tell you, the payoff after putting in a lot of work feels and IS way better than just taking a pill (which wont even work).

Ditto anna on the fiber... that should be enough for your body to cleanse itself.  If you want more energy, work out when you have the most energy (morning/evening), and stay hydrated!  Dehydration can cause fatigue.  Lastly, you should monitor you calorie intake using many online tools that are free.  This way you can get to understand dieting/healthy eating a little better (i.e. making sure you are eating enough calories when you exercise to see the best results... too few = starvation mode = body hangs on to it).

Good luck!
  • Options
    I completely agree with PPs about there being no magical solution.

I have done a "cleanse" before, and it actually worked great because it really wasn't starving myself or being restrictive on calories. All I did was cut out dairy and simple carbs. I had fruit for breakfast every day, tons and TONS of water, and lots of veggies and legumes for the rest of the day. I also used the Whole Foods 3-piece cleanse kit. It has fiber pills, milk thistle capsules, and a very gentle laxative. (I don't recommend taking this and you should always check with your doctor before taking supplements, but this is what worked for me.)

So, you know, I basically ate the way I should all the time, and added in some supplements. ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weight-loss-pills-cleanses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:70fe91e4-1d19-46eb-ab1b-0d833b7ec32dPost:df408187-30e9-4ee2-a549-33c54612e354">Weight Loss Pills? Cleanses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI Ladies, I am trying to work out and eat healthy, but I have a few months to get to a better weight, and wanted to ask if anybody has used Diet Pills, or Cleanses, and if so which ones actually work? I tried a cleanse this past week, and felt so hungry.  I would like to find a diet pill that just helps keep <strong>my energy high, and hunger level low. </strong>Any suggestions?
    Posted by ebhavens[/QUOTE]

Crystal meth does that.

Non-sarcastic response:  High energy and low hunger sort of go against each other.  High energy means that your body is working hard.  This almost always come with an increase in hunger.  It's kind of impossible to find one substance that does both of those things.

Do you take a multivitamin?  If you're constantly feeling lethargic and hungry, you're body is probaby deficient in a one or more nutrients and trying desperately to get it.  A vitamin will help.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weight-loss-pills-cleanses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:70fe91e4-1d19-46eb-ab1b-0d833b7ec32dPost:2431cc82-4588-43e3-a35b-91e01e9423c0">Re: Weight Loss Pills? Cleanses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you ladies!  I know I sound lazy wishing for a magic pill.  It is so hard to keep things on track on the weekends.  I have 3 other friends getting married each week following my wedding, so we have something every weekend.  <strong>One weekend is a Bridal shower with foods and drinks, the next its a bachelorette weekend.</strong>  I just wish I could focus on my health, but it seems to be hard with everything for all the brides. Thanks again!  Any other suggestions please post!  I would love more tips on healthy food options and/or anything else!
    Posted by ebhavens[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>When I have an event that I knwo there will be temptation at I eat before hand and bring my own healthy snacks.  People actuallt tell me they are jealous due to my will power</div>
  • Options

I think we all secretly wish there was a magic little pill or something. But there isn't. Just remember it didn't take you a few days to put on the weight it certainly won't take a few days to take it off. Eat right, go for a walk. There is a website called sparkpeople.com. I think it's like myfitnesspal. I haven't been on the second one so I'm not sure. But sparkpeople offers sample meal plans, you can watch work out videos, they let you blog about your experiences and see others. Maybe try something like that.

• Options
    I agree with PP - Drink a lot of water, eat smaller meals, and exercise.  Make sure you are getting enough calories.  Not eating enough will actually cause you to gain more.
  • Options
    I don't think I will ever recommend a pill to anyone, based on my experience with them.

I tried a diet pill that was supposed to suppress my appetite, and keep me energized, much like what you're looking for. The way the pills work is you take one a day for the first week, 2 a day the 2nd week, and so on, for a month. I took the first pill with soda, on accident. I didn't fully read the label, and it said not to drink caffeine with the pill, as it already had a really high amount, so that was my fault. For the rest of the day, until much later in the evening, I felt like a rock star, and not in the good way. I could not stop moving. When I tried to stand still, I could feel my muscles trying to move themselves. I figured once it stopped, I'd be fine; it was just because I took it with soda. That night, I stayed up literally all night running back and forth to the bathroom, throwing up. I got sent home from work the next morning at 11, went straight to bed after taking some meds, and slept for 22 hours straight. I looked at the ingredients the next day, and turns out, the pills had ephedrine which is illegal. So, diet pills. never again.
  • Options
    I also agree with increasing your fibre. Not only is it great for digestive health but it also helps you feel full so you end up eating less. Just be sure to increase your fibre in moderation as you can experience some changes (ahem gas) when you increase fibre. 
  • Options
    I know what you mean from May 09 to September 09 I started eating right and working out and loss 40 lbs.  Then it just stopped, no matter what I did I could not seem to lose any more wight.  Some friends told me about a great company call Advocare and their 24 day challenge.  After checking it out and seeing how it was helping my friends I decited to give it a try.  So from November 29th to December 22nd I did the 24 DC and to my amazment I loss 16 lbs and 15 1/2 inches.  This is not a quick fix if you are interested just go to www.advocarebydesign.com and check it out like I did.  Then if you have any questions you can email me at tenamsls@live.com 
  • Options
    Definitely up your daily fiber (Benefiber in juice is great) and a yogurt a day really helps your body be cleansed and regular. 

If you want to give your metabolism a little boost, try CLA or L-Carnatine supplements.  They're not a magical pill per say but they do give you a little help.
  • Options
    I know it's been said, but DON'T do diet pills. My friend's aunt had a heart attack after using them (she is pretty young, maybe early 40s, and btw she's fine now). Not worth the risk!

As for cleanses, they work in the short term but not long term. You might drop weight at first because you're not really eating anything. But once you start back on a normal diet, you'll just gain it all back.

As PPs said, water, fiber and lean protien. Be as active as you can be. If a pill really worked, we'd all be on it ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    I am currently using ACE all natural weight loss and energy pills. They are really working for me. I have lost 26lbs and lots of inches. I got mine at http://www.acedietpillsletsgetskinny.com
  • Options
    I just saw on NBC a lady who started her weight loss with a cleanse.  After the cleanse she continued working out and eating right and has now lost 75lbs.  She said the cleanse gave her a great start.  NBC also talked to a Dr. about cleanses and he said they can be a good thing if they don't have a lot of sugers or additives added to them. He said cleanses can get the toxins out of your system and help you to absorb the nutrition in your food better.  I did a 10 day cleanse and loss 12 lbs I have now lost 56 lbs.  So not all cleanses are bad.  And can be a real added boost.
  • Options
    I take a green tea pill in conjunction with working out and dieting, mostly for days when I am stuck at work for 12hours.....overall my dieting and workout is working so I'm not sure how much the green tea pill actually works, I'm mostly takin it as a precaution for days when I can't get to the gym for a workout...but I totally agree with fiber...I don't actually care for benefiber(even the tasteless kind) so I just prefer to eat a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with some raw almonds, I stay full and the fiber does great for my body...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards