Florida-Central Florida

Lasik

Hi girls! Haven't posted on here in a while...got married in March 09. I'm looking into Lasik and thought some knotties might be able to help. Have any of you done it? Have any docs you would recommend in the Orlando area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Re: Lasik

• edited December 2011
    I'm really interested in this too! I just went to the eye doc last week and he said I was a perfect candidate.
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i want it, too, but i am afraid my vision is too bad!
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had a couple friends that went to Filotowski (sp???) and they loved it. I've considered it, but I can't afford the few thousand and ends up totalling at that place. My mom went to a smaller doctor in KY (where they live now) and they had it for only $250 an eye!! She keeps telling me I should take a long vacation and get it done up there, lol.

I know there is a place in Altamonte that does it for cheaper, but I want to find some people that have had it done there to make sure they won't screw up my vision even more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't done it, but my eye Dr does the procedure and I trust him completely. I've been seeing him for 15 years.

Dr. Mark Perry (Perry eye care) in the Barnes and Noble plaza at Colonial and Bumby. 
    Planning Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 97 Celebrating in Person
    image 57 Celebrating in Spirit
    image 0 In Postal Limbo
    RSVP Date: October 26
  • ericak926ericak926 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Hubby went to Filutowski 6 years ago and still has perfect vision. The cost depends on how bad your vision is. One eye cost more than the other with him. Since he was almost as blind as a bat, it cost about $2k total. Back then $2k was costly being that I was still in college and we had a limited income but it was totally worth it. I wouldn't go to a discount doctor for your eyes. If they screw up you won't be able to see!
  • edited December 2011
    2,000 total isn't as bad as I thought. My doc has other docs in the office that do it but he said it would be 2,000 per eye which I thought made it not worth it.
    Erica: I would be afraid to go to a cheaper doc too! You only get one pair of eyes!
  • edited December 2011
    I've had LASIK done and I 100% recommend it!  It's very important to go to a good doctor, not a cheap one.  Some can really mess up your eyes.  I haven't had any problems at all.  I got LASIK while I was still in Florida, but I did it in Jacksonville.  All the nurses I knew who got LASIK went to Dr. Maida.  He is one of the best doctors in Florida and people from all over the country go to him for LASIK.

Sarah=) : I had horrible vision as well as astigmatism and my doc even said he didn't know if he could get me to 20/20... but he did!  Each eye is 20/25, but together my eyesight is 20/20.  I got LASIK 4 yrs ago, and I'm still 20/20 as of 2 weeks ago.
  • edited December 2011
    cherriterri: Are your eyes sensitive to bright lights? My friends mom got it done like 8 years ago and she said she was still sensitive to light 2 years later.
  • edited December 2011
    mlharbis: no.  I heard some ppl have dry eyes after LASIK.  That hasn't happened to me either.
  • edited December 2011
    I looked into Lasik a few years back and as it turns out, I wasn't a candidate (boo!) but I did enough research to form some opinions on the doctors in town.

I first went to Filutowski in Lake Mary.  It started okay and it's a really nice facility ... but to be honest, I was pretty disappointed in the end.  They tested me and everything and basically told me that they could do it, but I might still have to wear glasses at some point.  Then they hurried me into scheduling and told me I could call with any questions.  So later when I had questions, I called.  I couldn't talk to anyone but a receptionist and they told me that the doctor's were too busy to meet with me again before my appt.  I decided to get a second opinion and went to Dr. Perry and Dr. Magruder.  

Dr. Perry was nice and explained alot of things to me.  Mostly about what makes someone a good candidate.  It has everything to do with the thickness and roundness of your cornea and not so much your vision.  But then I met with Dr. Magruder and he was very honest with me and said he would not do the procedure.  He met with me again later and personally called me back when I called with more questions.  So in the end, I cancelled my appt. with Filutowski and they wouldn't give me my $100 deposit back.  I was extremely disappointed with Fultowski and the way it felt like it was just a Lasik factory.  I'm sure they do a good job on people who are good candidates, but for someone who is questionable ... they were absolutely horrible.  I can't believe that they would have let me go through with it without even telling me that it might be a bad idea for me.  

I definitely recommend going to more than one doctor before deciding and I would highly recommend Dr. Magruder.  He did the procedure on my mom, my sister and my best friend and they were very pleased.  And I will forever be grateful for being honest with me about my personal situation.  

That was long winded ... but hopefully informative :)
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for the feedback, erin!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I did last July and it was the best decision I ever made.  I went to Dr. Kelly Herschel at the Magruder Eye Center in Winter Park.  I had 3 consultations before making my decision and you would not be disappointed if you met with him!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards