South Carolina
Options

Hilton head Island (or any SC beach) reco's? Beach wedding + Backyard reception thoughts.

Hi there!
My fiance and I are thinking about having a small (close family & friends - total 30 people + 20 kids) casual wedding on the beach in Hilton Head and then a reception in the backyard of an oceanfront rental.  Timing is this September.
- Does anyone have experience with planning beach/backyard events?  My fear is that it won't be as budget-friendly and stress free as I'm envisioning. 
- Have you rented a oceanfront home in HHI and done the same thing?  Any house recommendations would be fantastic. 
- We are open to suggestions for other South Carolina beaches as well.
- We are on a tight budget, so if you've had a budget-friendly beach wedding PLEASE share.  :o)
Thanks so much in advance for the recommendations and advice. 

Re: Hilton head Island (or any SC beach) reco's? Beach wedding + Backyard reception thoughts.

• Options

Hi! I have not had a beach wedding but I am very familiar with Hilton Head Island. I have a house there and spend all my summers on the island and my FI grew up there. Oceanfront rentals are going to be more expensive than renting away from the beach, but I think it's def. manageable. Coligny Beach on the south end is the most popular spot for tourists.  There are a TON of people there in summer, but September should be fine. If you are looking for something more private, I would look in the middle of the island. Folly Beach is also pretty popular and is located toward the middle of the island. Some other great beaches are Palmetto Dunes, South Beach, and any beaches within Sea Pines.

If you are looking for other beaches in South Carolina, Charleston has a lot! Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's Island are very beautiful.

"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    Hi Amanda - Thank you so much for the advice.  I will be sure to extend my search to Folly Beach, as well as the beaches around Charleston.  I've done some searching around Charleston and found the places to be more expensive and not as nice as the places on Hilton Head island.  But I've only searched on vrbo.com, so I'm sure there are many other vacation rentals.

Thanks again!
  • Options
     Beach weddings are our specialty! Our prices are very very affordable. Just had to throw that in. We have done 100's of beach weddings.
    Folly Beach, SC will definitely be a budget-friendly beach for a wedding. Usually Sept. after labor day, the rental rates go down a great deal. The realtor to look up is
    FRED HOLLAND REALTY. He's the #1 guy for getting you what you want.
    Local seafood is affordable.
    There is Melvin's BBQ, Sticky Fingers BBQ that both make for a fun and fantastic reception feast.
    Put your wedding rings in a Conch Shell filled with sand (instead of a pillow) for the ring bearer to carry.
    Do a sand ceremony (candles will never light). And colored sand and 3 vases are cheap!
    We will also marry you (we are legal notaries in SC)  for FREE saving you as much as $300. 
    We are running an incredible $995 unlimited time photography special right now as well.
    Forget about shoes! Go barefoot!!! That'll save you and yours $50-100 for each pair.
    Go simple on your dress. Light and "cottony"/sundressy
    Dress the guys in affordable Khaki pants and cotton shirts. That alone will save you $ mega bucks on tuxes.
    Chips/dip/pretzels/hot dogs/hamburgers..........wow-fun fun fun!!
    Go to the Dollar store and buy sand buckets w/ shovels. Now this is if you are having kids or are inviting kids. PLay a bluried treasure game.
    Bury little treasures, like plastic neclaces, plastic snakes, small rubber balls, and other toys using a shell to mark the bury spot. KIds love this one. Put candy treats in mini-zip lock bags to find. They have a ball.
    Did I mention that beach weddings are our specialty??!!!!!
    Would love to hear from you.
    www.charlestonweddingphotographers.com
  • Options
    I believe that Folly is the only beach right around Charleston that allows beach weddings.  We are considering doing the same as you described but on Fripp Island.  Not far from HHI at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards