Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Must colors match venue?

My wedding is April 16, 2011. Since it is a spring wedding, I see it as a great chance to incorporate my favorite color---purple. I'm not really bothering decorating the sanctuary of the church where the ceremony will be. It is a gorgeous sanctuary already, and we'll be in there 30 minutes max.

So, the majority of my "colors" wil be displayed at the reception. I think I will have my bridal party wear dark gray/silver cocktail dresses and the flowers will be different shades of purple, probably using hydrangeas. I'll use the same color scheme in the table settings and things like that.

I'm worried if these "springy" colors will look ok in the room where the reception is being held. It is a banquet room of a country club. There are a lot of windows, but the walls are a yellow-beige color, and the carpet red. I do NOT want to use any of those colors in my wedding,as they scream "fall" to me. I;ve attached some pictures I found online of the room where the reception will be held. Tell me...will that look terrible? I'm planning on using seat covers as pitcured with colored ties, and flowers and different items to bring in the colors. My hope is the red carpet won't be too distracting.

What do you think?

Pictures are from the club website.

Re: Must colors match venue?

• Options
    I think use whatever colors you want regardless of what the venue looks like.  People are going to be looking at you, not the carpet. 
  • Options
    i think that this could be an issue for you....    i can see the purples with the yellow walls not being a problem. yellow never looks too "fall-like" unless it is with oranges, browns, or reds.  so to me, if you could do something about the red flooring, the yellow would be  a non-issue.  is there any way you could maybe cover the floor with something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Well, there will be a dance floor. There will be quite a few tables, so I'm hoping that takes away from the carpet. I don't know of anyway to cover the floor. I've been to more than a few receptions there and noone covered the floor.
  • Options
    Reality check:  what was the color of the carpet, drapes, or walls at the last 6 weddings you attended?  Can't remember?  That's because it's so not important.  Your guests won't care if the carpet color matches the BM dresses or not.

They'll care about good food, good drinks, good entertainment, and a gracious bride and groom who look like they're having fun and take time to interact with their guests.

FWIW:  I can't begin to tell you the carpet color at my own son's wedding OR my DD's wedding.  But I can tell you how their faces looked throughout their ceremonies and receptions.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Agreed! The carpet at my venue sucks but it wont matter since no one will be looking at it! And good point on the above PP can you remember the carpet from the last few weddings you went to?!
  • Options
    I can't understand for the life of me why all these beautiful venues insist on using the most hideous carpets and chairs!!!  You would think that since weddings are a main source of their income, they would choose neutral decor that can blend into any wedding.  And it's always the most hideous primary colors, you're lucky yours is a solid color!  And the chairs are just as bad!  I wonder when they will realize this and start offering neutral flooring and chivari chairs!  If I found a venue that had this included I would book for that reason alone! renting chairs is expensive! Sorry but I felt the need to vent.  Any way as long as you distract from the floor do what you want. I would probably do some uplighting to draw the eye up and away from the floor.
  • Options
    Im nervous about the same thing. There is a big red curtain behind the head table at my reception hall. Its beautiful, but my BM dresses are teal. Im banking on no one paying attention to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards