New Jersey

MGs - Name Change Order

Quick question regarding name change.  What is the order of things?  I now once you have a certified copy of the marriage certificate, the first place to go is the SS office.  After that, do I need to wait till I have my new SS card before going to the DMV and changing license and registration, or can I go with just the marriage certificate?  Also, in terms of banks, etc., is the license and marriage certificate needed, or will the marriage certificate be enough? Really just trying to figure out if I need to wait to get my new SS card or not.
Visit The Nest!

Re: MGs - Name Change Order

• grace_anngrace_ann member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You don't need SS to get new drivers license just the marriage certificate. Once I had my license I changed it at the bank. I needed the SS card to change my name at work so I had to get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_mgs-name-change-order?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:589a9bb8-6645-41ea-807a-78ac1db5a035Post:2931b238-5980-4254-ae4f-665690750434">MGs - Name Change Order</a>:
    [QUOTE]Quick question regarding name change.  What is the order of things?  I now once you have a certified copy of the marriage certificate, the first place to go is the SS office.  After that, <strong>do I need to wait till I have my new SS card before going to the DMV and changing license and registration, or can I go with just the marriage certificate?  Also, in terms of banks, etc., is the license and marriage certificate needed, or will the marriage certificate be enough?</strong> Really just trying to figure out if I need to wait to get my new SS card or not.
    Posted by MissButters[/QUOTE]

<font color="#008080">Nope. SS Office gives you a letter that the change is in progress. I brought that with me to the DMV, but they did not even need that ~ just the marriage certificate.

Each bank / credit card was different. Some need to see the marriage certificate, some changed right over the phone, and American Express sent me a whole form to fill out! Just call each & ask the requirements.

Good luck! =)</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    Ditto pp.  Also my bank made a big dfeal about having my husband and I both there to change our account.  I have no idea why. I dont believe I used my liscense for the bank.  I think I still had the old one.  I just called my credit card companies and they just changed my name. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I didn't get any letter from Social security saying the change was in effect, so that is not every office.   I went to SS first, then to DMV on the same day.  DMV asked nothing about my SS card, so you can do either of those first.

As the others said...banks/credit cards will vary so just contact them for what they need.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
    Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards