California-Northern

Beverage Package

So we are looking at locations up in the Tahoe area, and are finding the beverage packages to be a little crazy.... They all seem to do it based on consumption (6-11 bucks per drink), and if you want to bring in your own wine, they charge a 15-20 dollar corkage fee on top of the normal charges just to have the bar set up... one place was even charging $4 per soda....Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a place that will work with us to make it affordable....Thanks!

Re: Beverage Package

• edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, that is what I found to be true at most venues I looked into as well! Some venues, like private estates or boutique venues (think non-hotel ballroom) allow you to BYO alcohol and beverages. Or they charge per-person open bar, which worked best for us.
  • sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on the venue. We ended up with a place that's letting us bring our own booze and isn't charging us any fees for it. Our caterer is setting up the bar and providing the bartender as part of the catering package (at a reasonable rate).I'm not that familiar with the venues in the Tahoe area but there have to be some venues up there that let you BYO booze?
  • edited December 2011
    What you can do is give the bar a limit and when its gone its gone, and then people are on their own. Or to make it fair give each person 2 drink tickets and then after that they are on their own. or something like that.If someone wants to party it up with a million drinks it shouldn't be on your tab. I would maybe ask about a limited bar too with beer or wine only. It might be more affordable.
  • edited December 2011
    PS. A few places I looked at around here were consumption and that just scared me because I know some people who are drinkers plus we didn't want to be surprised with a tab that was outrageous. Who knows how the venue keeps tab of all the drinks? Our venue was beer/wine/cider/champagne at a per person price. We had to bring in our own soda and water.
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue has a package where we can have a bottle of red and white wine per table plus unlimited punch.  Anything else drink wise people have to pay for themselves.  My parents couldn't afford to host the bar so we went with the wine and people can pay for anything else they want.  We know a lot of drinkers too so it could have gotten expensive.
  • fallettavfallettav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DId you get married in Tahoe?  My fiance and I are having teh same problem!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards