Favors
Options

Edible Favors - possibly cookies

We definitely want to do edible favors for our January wedding.  We are considering cookies but do you tihnk people will be sick of cookies after the holidays?  

I originally wanted to do the square iced cookies with LOVE on them - but at $4-$5 a piece that's just too much to spend for 150+ guests.  I'm concerned with having the time/energy to bake them all as well.  For those of you that also did cookies, did you bake them yoursleves? Order them from a bakery?  

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for edible favors, let me know - I'm trying to stay away from M&Ms or mints....  

Re: Edible Favors - possibly cookies

• Options

One of the best edible favors I ever received was a single fudge-dipped Oreo in a cute favor box that came from a local candy shop. This is something I would never buy for myself, but of course, it's soooo delicious!

A box filled with 2-3 truffles or chocolates from a local shop is great too!

• Options
    We did a popcorn station and it was a HUGE success!   We got so many compliments and we had about 9 different flavors to choose from.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited October 2012
    A favor is not even required, but if you want to do one, it doesn't have to be something that is placed at the guest's seat. We had a sundae bar about 90 minutes after dinner and the guest's loved it. We also did sliders and fries later in the night before they left.

If you want to do cookies, I don't think people will be sick of them after the holidays. You can make cookies ahead of time, freeze the dough, and do baking closer to the wedding. A simple refrigerator cookie dough or sugar cookie recipe should be fine. If you are making 150 cookies, that's 12 1/2 dozen, and I've done more than that in one day. The frosting can be done up to a week ahead, and you can place them in some sort of baggie or box that doesn't sit directly on the top of the cookie.

You could also do fudge, the chocolate dipped Oreos mentioned above are easy, you could still write "Love" on those with frosting.

Something I've done when I've hosted holiday parties is buy small metal cookie cutters, put them on a piece of waxed paper, fill them with melted chocolate, put sprinkles on them, put them in bags, and they are an edible gift, plus a cookie cutter for later. For January you could do snowflakes or bells (wedding related). Small metal cookie cutters are as cheap as 4 for $1, the chocolate may be pricey, but I just used Nestle's semi sweet chocolate morsels.

Check out Martha Stewart's wedding website for ideas. Google "edible homemade goodies" for ideas. Right now all the holiday magazines are in the grocery stores, a lot of them have edible goodies for gifts.
  • Options
    I love Sue-n-Kevin's filled cookie cutter idea!  I've seen recipes along the same lines -- fill the cookie cutters (on wax paper) with your favorite fudge recipe (or find one online); you could make 2 or 3 different kinds of fudge and people could choose their favorite (regular chocolate fudge, cookies and cream fudge and maybe a non-chocolate one like peanut butter).  Keep an eye out for after-Christmas sales in stores and online for the cookie cutters.  In a simple cellophane bag, tied with ribbon they'd be a great edible favor for a January wedding!
  • Options
    we are at this point planning on custom cookies for DD wedding favors...bakery is giving us a quote of $3.50 per cookie bagged and tied with ribbon...i would check around on prices and also make sure you like how the cookies taste....if you want to o them yourself could you make fudge and put it in a cute box with wax paper??
  • Options
    We're doing frosted sugar cookies from a local bakery that people rave about. If we don't get them monogrammed they'll be about 50 cents a cookie and if we get them monogrammed they'll be $1/cookie. We're just going to put them in bags on our own.
    image 342 Invited
    image 92 Are ready to party!
    image 50 Will be missing out!
    image 200 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know they aren't edible, but we had cookie cutters - all shapes, fun colors - and people could grab what they wanted - hey, it's cookie season now! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_edible-favors-possibly-cookies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c7a458fd-1adb-46e7-b975-c9d3294c81c0Post:826ffa8e-c3ce-42f6-b332-35e860045354">Edible Favors - possibly cookies</a>:
    [QUOTE]We definitely want to do edible favors for our January wedding.  We are considering cookies but do you tihnk people will be sick of cookies after the holidays?   I originally wanted to do the square iced cookies with LOVE on them - but at $4-$5 a piece that's just too much to spend for 150+ guests.  I'm concerned with having the time/energy to bake them all as well.  For those of you that also did cookies, did you bake them yoursleves? Order them from a bakery?   Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for edible favors, let me know - I'm trying to stay away from M&Ms or mints....  
    Posted by laurbar12[/QUOTE]

cake pops
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards