Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Is 7pm Too Late?

The hall I am going to book has an option for 7pm-12am for their evening slot. I really wanted to do an evening wedding but is that too late to eat dinner? I am having the ceremony (15 minutes tops) and the reception at the same venue. I was planning on having an italian buffet but not sure if this is too late to serve dinner. Feedback is appreciated.

Anniversary

Re: Is 7pm Too Late?

• Options
    It probably depends on your circle, but I don't think that's too late at all. I might not do a full hour of cocktail hour though. Like cocktail "hour" from 7:15 - 8 and dinner at 8. I'd have no problem with that. Anyone who is used to eating dinner earlier can always have a snack before the ceremony.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    That will be fine!  7-8 is a very common time for dinner to start.

I would do as many photos as you can before so that you can cut the cocktail hour a little short.  If you did 45 minutes, you could start dinner at 8:00.
  • Options
    Also consider if their are young children at your reception, some parents like to stick to bedtimes at 8 or 9. So make sure to see all your friends with children before they duck out for the night.
  • Options
    We're doing a 7 pm ceremony, and then starting a pretty elaborate dinner at 8. Our reception is adults only and there's a hotel within walking distance, so it's the perect time and place for us :)
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Seems fine to me.  If people are worried about getting hungry before then they can have a light snack before they arrive. 
  • Options
    Our dinner starts at 7 or 7:15, and I love when I go to a wedding and don't have to eat at 6!  Go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Our wedding ceremony starts at 7 PM with dinner at 8.  Not too late at all! Go for it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Are you getting married in Boston? The sun sets on your wedding date in Boston at 7:30 FWIW. If your ceremony starts at 7 be prepared to have done a first look and all of your photos in advance. Or plan to do them indoors as it will be dark by the time your ceremony ends. ETA: if dinner is at 7 or 7:30 I do not think that is too late for dinner.
  • Options
    I agree with the consensus. And my church, with many elderly members, regularly has dinners - on weeknights, even - that start at 7:30.
  • Options
    I don't think that is too late at all.  I have been to many weddings that did not serve dinner until 7:30 or 8:00 an no one complained.  That should be fine!
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! I plan on having a really quick ceremony with a buffet dinner to follow around 7:30.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're having ours at 7, but it is an adult-only sit-down dinner.

I think it just depends on your family's/group's norms.
  • Options
    angelab0014angelab0014 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Is it a Saturday wedding because sunday might be hard for guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards