Maine
Options

***ohhhmysushi***

What you have heard about chairs at Fort Williams is correct.  They allow like 10 chairs or so on the grounds for ceremonies.  I rented the picnic shelter for a number of reasons, but chairs was definitely one of them.  That guideline is pretty much true for every park in Portland too.  They don't want a bunch of chairs putting holes in the ground. 

Another option would be using the amphitheater, which has stone seating - you could put blankets down so people weren't sitting right on them.  That spot is tough though - depending on the time of day, the sun is brutal.  We tried doing pictures there pre-ceremony around 2 (mid-July) and it was squint central.

If you go here: http://www.capeelizabeth.com/visitors/attractions/fort_williams_park/home.html and click on the "Wedding/Partnership Ceremony Request" you will see the statement about chairs.  It doesn't specify a number, but it does say for elderly and handicapped only.

Picnic Shelter Ceremony:

The ceremony was on the stone "patio" area off the front of the shelter.

Amphitheater:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: ***ohhhmysushi***

• Options
    Thanks so much for the information and the pictures!!! I don't even remember some of the structures in your pictures. It's really helpful, because I've only been there once and that was several years ago.

I was able to reserve the band stand and the gazebo, but unfortunately the picnic shelters were all booked. My planner did say they allow chairs, so I guess w/ the gazebo/band stand it's ok. Do you know what the band stand is and what it looks like? Is it that amphitheater that you posted above or something different? Is it near the water? I've been searching the web, but can't seem to find pictures of either structures anywhere. I've even googled earth the park, but I don't see it. I wish Fort Williams have a better map of the park or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

My new dilemma is that I have to come up with a plan B in case of bad weather since I have no shelter. Nerve wrecking!
  • Options
    Really great pictures by the way! :)
  • Options
    I would double check with the people in charge of the park regarding chairs.  Everything I've read says only the picnic shelter, so I'm not sure where your planner is getting her information.

I have no idea if the bandstand is the amphitheater.  The amphitheater is just the stone-looking bleachers and a huge open grassy area.  The gazebo is quite small and awkwardly located on a hill. 

DH and I spent a bit of time there after getting engaged trying to figure out what everything was that they had described on their website.  He grew up going there as a child and had no idea.  The refer to the gazebo as the "stone gazebo" yet the only gazebo I'm familiar with is not stone. 

Neither are on the water. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ok, thanks. I'm disappointed that they're not on the water, but we'll make it work. I'll give the park a call.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards