Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Wedding cakes..grumble grumble

My cake was originally going to be made by an old friend that happens to be the head pastry chef at my venue.....until she quoted me at $700.

I need cheap cheap cheap, without sacrificing flavor and appearance.

Also, they need to be able to do something other than buttercream (I'm lactose intolerant and CANNOT have it...trust me)

any ideas?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding cakes..grumble grumble

• Options
    GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear alot of brides talking about doing cheesecakes, although I have no clue what that costs.....

A good friend of mine had a variety of pies at her wedding instead of cake. It was a HUGE hit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I can have cake....but buttercream icing and I are not friends

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know people have used Sam's Club cakes they are simple but inexpensive. They have whipped icing. There is also Marilyn's Cakes, she starts at $2/slice. They are tasty. 
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Ames5730Ames5730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you seen the http://maribellecakerycincinnati.com/ website?  They do a non-dairy cake.  

I haven't had their cake, but it may be worth looking into.

Good luck and congrats.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Is it possible to have a separate cake just for yourself, maybe sliced privately in the kitchen?  That way you have more selection for your guests that will fit in your budget but have your cake, too...literally. ;)

I know some brides do that if they have special diets for their meals.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ames5730Ames5730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_wedding-cakesgrumble-grumble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:2c0021ac-97fa-4c6a-98a2-fe2ff7d4c299Post:b177fdfa-0998-49fd-8a47-5e08cba9de20">Re: Wedding cakes..grumble grumble</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it possible to have a separate cake just for yourself, maybe sliced privately in the kitchen?  That way you have more selection for your guests that will fit in your budget but have your cake, too...literally. ;) I know some brides do that if they have special diets for their meals.
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

<div>One of my friends who is severly allergic to glueten did this.  She fed her groom the traditional cake which the guests also ate and he fed her some flourless chocolate cake.</div>
  • Options
    Hi again,

My FI and I also cannot have dairy in our cake and tasted the Maribelle dairy-free cakes yesterday.  Delicious! The owner was great and worked with us to meet our budget - a fabulous experience.  

I was VERY skeptical about a dairy-free cake, as I have had other people's dairy free and it was gross.  Angela's cakes at Maribelle - mmm mmm good and doesn't taste like chemicals.  Icing smooth and yummy.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards