Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Newly Engaged in Dayton--Venue Help!

Hello Knotties!
                     Glad to finally be a part of the bridal community =) I have been engaged for a solid month now and the planning is already becoming overwhelming!  From what I've read, it is important to pick a venue first and kind of go from there.  We are planning to invite 200 guests (give or take), but only count on 150-ish showing up?  Still, I am assuming it is best to find a venue which allows at least 200 guests for the off chance that distant aunts and uncles decide to make the trip and attend.  Due to family locations, we would like to keep the ceremony/reception in the Dayton area.  So far, I have looked at several country clubs which we found the prices to be out of range.  We have no exact budget because both sets of parents are simply saying "We can't help much, but will do a little."  Is a little 100 or 1000?  We don't know because they refuse to specify.  In any sense, we are grateful for any help we can get.  So without dragging this out any longer, can anyone recommend some decently priced venues to seat 200 attendents?  Ideally, we would LOVE to bring in our own alcohol because the FH is in the military and can get cheap prices off base.  Is anyone familiar with a place which has no liquor license to allow such a thing?  I am a HUGE perfectionist so saying I am already freaking out about every single detail would be an understatement!  Thank you in advance and Congrats to all my fellow brides-to-be <3

Re: Newly Engaged in Dayton--Venue Help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats!  I am not a bride myself but I just finished planning my step daughter's wedding  (10/22/11) and am currently planning my daughter's.  I believe between the two weddings, I have spoke to more than my share of wedding vendors.  I have to say we have nothing but good things to say about most of our vendors including the venue.  We had her reception at the Presidential Banquet Center in Kettering.  It is owned by Kohler Catering.  It was very reasonablly priced as far as most things go.  The facility is very nice, the food was awesome and they really went out of thier way to accomodate anything we wanted.  The biggest downfall was the alcohol but in comparsion to other places, they still were much cheaper. ( you have to use their bar)  It was a very good value and made a very nice impression.  The kids also wanted a country club but in the end, they really liked this place as well.  The food was so good, we are using Kohler offsite for the other wedding.  Ask for Beth and tell her Andrea recommended them.  As far as bringing your own liquor, we are having the 2nd one at a place that offer that but it is near Hamilton.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the Presidential Banquet Center. We did a tasting there and the food was really great, and the alcohol is definitely much cheaper than most other places. Some other venues that we got info from were Arbor Hall, the Packard Museum, Montgomery County Fairgrounds Roundhouse, the Christopher Club. Let me know if you have any questions!

If you end up going with a banquet hall where you can bring in whatever caterer you want, I highly recommend Bullwinkles. We're having them cater our wedding and they are a really great value and have excellent food too!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you venture as far as Hamilton?  Pyramid Park is lovely. 

Here's a link to a Knot article on budget weddings; it might give you some ideas where you can cut corners, especially if you don't yet know your budget bottom-line:

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-budget/articles/cheap-wedding-in-cincinnati-ohio.aspx

• Options
    edited December 2011

Have you looked at any Hall I was not for them at all but I used Conover hall.  The price was great, fit plenty of people and they were super friendly and easy to work with.  It is in Franklin not sure if that is to far south or not but I would def ck it out if not.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you alll for your help I REALLY appreciate it! We are continuing to look around and have tours schelduled until the end of January, I'll keep you all updated =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards