Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

short ceremony seating crazy or not?

I was just thinking about ceremony seating and my FI and I are planning on a very short non-religious ceremony.  Probably a total of 10-15 minutes long.  Would it be outrageous to find a venue with a grassy hill that has a small decline and lay out blankets with pillows for the guests to sit on (sort of like a picnic)? Then the ceremony would be at the bottom of the hill and it would seem like stadium seating, and of course there would be some chairs for the elderly and others who can't sit on the ground. What do you ladies think?

Re: short ceremony seating crazy or not?

• I'm only 26 and am perfectly capable of sitting on the ground....however, I would not want to dress up for a wedding and have to sit on the ground in a dress.  Have chairs for everyone
    Anniversary image
  • I think that idea is adorable but make sure you have the blankets and make sure the ground is not moist. I'm having a 15 minute non-relisious ceremony and everyone will be standing and we'll be standing on a fireplace platform a little higher so everyone can see us.
  • I think you'd need to warn people in advance.  I'd be quite dismayed to show up wearing any sort of short skirt and then find that I need to sit on the ground.

If you haven't picked a venue yet, then you should look for one with chairs for the ceremony.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Sorry, don't like it.  First of all, you don't know who can and can't easily get up and down.  It's not just "elderly" people.  And what constitutes "elderly"?  I can promise you that my 89 year old dad would never take a chair if there was a lady standing.

As for sitting on the hillside~not great when I'm dressed up and in heels.  It's just not conducive to lounging like I'm at the beach.

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds better on paper than it works out IRL.  I just don't think it really creates a "wedding" vibe.  I'm trying to imagine all of your guests struggling to their feet as you start down the aisle and then sinking back down as the ceremony starts.  Nope.  Not a great visual.  Sorry.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I disagree with the other ladies.  I think it's a really cute, unique idea!  I love the idea of having blankets and pillows already laid out for your guests. And of course you would have chairs for the guests who can't get up and down easily. (Or who refuse to sit down on a blanket for some reason)  You'll get a feel of how many chairs you'll need to provide if you tell people about the seating beforehand. Personally, as a guest, I would have no problem with it.  And as for walking in heels on a grassy hill... I would take them off. Problem solved.  I think its great.  It's your day!  Make it as unique as you'd like!
  • I think you can get away with something like this if you are having a super casual "wear jeans" type event.  But if this is the sort of thing where ladies will be wearing dresses and dress shoes, it's a bad idea.  

People don't want to get on the ground in their dress clothes, and will be uncomfortable.  Just set up folding chairs.  
  • I once went to a backyard wedding with a Moroccan theme. - we ate at long low tables seated on pillows on the ground.  Nobody had a problem with it because the bride had included a note in the invitations letting us know about the unusual seating arrangements.  People still dressed up, just not as formally as you'd see at most weddings.  (Actually it being a backyard wedding I doubt if people would have gone the formal route anyway.)

Is your guest list fairly small?  I think this idea would work only if it was a smaller group.  The thought of 150 people seated on blankets may turn out to be a chaotic mess like you'd see when people gather to watch fireworks on the Fourth.

As long as you have a smaller group and are sure to inform your guests ahead of time I don't see why you shouldn't do this.  I think it sounds lovely.
  • I have to say I can see where this idea could be very cute if executed well. You'd need a smaller guest list, the perfect spot/hill so this would be comfortable for your guests, and you would have to be very clear with everyone invited as to the unusual circumstances, while having plenty of chairs on hand for those that want one. If you end up doing this, I would be sure to add an insert with your invitation with information and something to give your guests a heads up.

This could either go beautifully if orchestrated correctly, or as other posters have mentioned, this could be a disaster-in-the-making.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_short-ceremony-seating-crazy-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:edde98fd-ae7d-40b2-8cdb-c653ddf2528dPost:4240cf67-cdfa-406d-b5e7-6221b5c99985">Re: short ceremony seating crazy or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm only 26 and am perfectly capable of sitting on the ground....however, I would not want to dress up for a wedding and have to sit on the ground in a dress.  Have chairs for everyone
    Posted by kerrib11[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Every butt deserves a seat.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_short-ceremony-seating-crazy-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:edde98fd-ae7d-40b2-8cdb-c653ddf2528dPost:d61d73dd-cb26-4dd5-b140-629cd3601c3b">Re: short ceremony seating crazy or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's your day!  Make it as unique as you'd like!
    Posted by Erica1011[/QUOTE]

<div>This is not acceptable advice. Once there are guests involved, it is no longer simply 'your day.' You do not want people talking negatively about your wedding for years to come. (And they will... just not to your face.)</div>
  • My best advice to you would be to have seating. Could you do long pew like benches. That may work out to be cheaper than individual chairs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding where they had people standing.. it was a HUGE freaking headache! It sounds alright, just talking about it. But it looks stupid in pictures & it's a pain...

Note: Most people won't sit, they will stand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have to echo the others saying you need a REAL seat fir everyone. I'm only 30 but I can tell you that as a new mom I'm tired, very sleep deprived, and weak....but I dont look it and I'd feel guilty taking a seat that you reserved for an older relative.
  • It sounds great in theory, but in practice it won't work out, for many of the above reasons.

I'm 21 and I already have arthritis in my one knee, so if someone as young as me can have problems, I would think that anyone older than me would also like a chair to sit in.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_short-ceremony-seating-crazy-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:edde98fd-ae7d-40b2-8cdb-c653ddf2528dPost:654166fd-61a7-40ad-af9a-633702f8d046">short ceremony seating crazy or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just thinking about ceremony seating and my FI and I are planning on a very short non-religious ceremony.  Probably a total of 10-15 minutes long.  Would it be outrageous to find a venue with a grassy hill that has a small decline and lay out blankets with pillows for the guests to sit on (sort of like a picnic)? Then the ceremony would be at the bottom of the hill and it would seem like stadium seating, and of course there would be <strong>some chairs for the elderly and others who can't sit on the ground.</strong> What do you ladies think?
    Posted by coolandcruel14[/QUOTE]
    Then you might as well have chairs for everyone because you can't always know who can and can't sit on the floor. Better to be safe, than sorry.
  • A chair for every butt.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I wouldn't for the reasons mentioned, plus I've heard of some weddings where since there were no seats, everyone ended up under a tree in the shade some 30 feet or something away from where the bride wanted the people to sit. I've also seen one where there was no aisle for the bride to walk through (and yes, she had it marked) and she had to kinda force her way through. Not what she was going for.
  • My suggestion is pretty informal for people in heals and dresses, but it's just an option for you to consider.  You could get hay bales and cover them with blankets for people to sit on.  Again, it's pretty casual, but at least people won't have to get up from the ground.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • I think it's a cute idea, I think garcias has a good addition with the covered hay bales. There are some cure pictures on TK of that style.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_short-ceremony-seating-crazy-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:edde98fd-ae7d-40b2-8cdb-c653ddf2528dPost:15cee1b7-7b18-4035-b10f-b2a151070de5">Re: short ceremony seating crazy or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: short ceremony seating crazy or not? : This is not acceptable advice. Once there are guests involved, it is no longer simply 'your day.' You do not want people talking negatively about your wedding for years to come. (And they will... just not to your face.)
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

This just reflects negatively on your character. If youre going to someones wedding they are most likely your family or close friend.  If youre gonna talk negatively behind someones back about their wedding then you prob shouldn't have been invited in the first place.

A wedding should be the one time you can throw a party that reflects your individually and showcases your personality. ( I do like the idea of the hay bales.) 

If you do go for some sort of alternative seating - I would strongly suggest having someone greeting your guests directing them where to go/sit.
  • Erica,

I hate to burst your bubble, but people do critique weddings, especially when they become theatrical extravaganzas.  If they are either extremely well done or poorly done, they naturally invite "reviews."  Most weddings blend together because they are the usual blah, blah, blah cookie cutter - bride down the aisle, semi-inedible dry chicken, toss the bouquet,snarkey DJ, dancing to Daddy's Little Girl, etc. but those that struggle to be personal and creative run the risk of harsh criticism, albeit behind the bride's back, if the results are not frankly spectacular, and usually they're not.  Related to this particular post, having guests sitting on the ground is going to rate two thumbs down from most guests for all of the reasons already stated.
  • While I appreciate the feel you are going for, I just don't think it's in your guests' best interest to force them to sit on the ground. I would have a few long benches (enough for every guest to sit on) towards the bottom of the hill and then place some blankets on the hill and offer it as an option. That way the guests that want to sit on the blanket can do so, but no one has to.

I'm under the age of thirty and have really bad joints (dancing/cheerleading injuries) though most of my friends wouldn't think it - I'm always on the dance floor. Sitting on a blanket for more than 10 minutes would be very uncomfortable for me. And having to sit on a blanket in a knee-length skirt/dress would be even more uncomfortable.

I just wouldn't want a silly thing like that to make my wedding a negative experience for some of my guests.

• I will be getting married at a venue that only allows 120 chairs--yeah it's a money thing. I was hoping to have about 20 guests more, so I was considering having a few low tables with big pillows scattered around. I know exactly who of my friends would be excited to sit at these low tables. Our wedding won't be very formal anyway, but most people will have chairs. A warning on the invite to tell people to dress comfortably would be smart. I'm still undecided, though. I might just have to cut my list down. We'll see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards