Getting in Shape

Salad Challenge!!

Hello ladies! 
I'm pretty new here and I just wanted to share a little thing I like to call the salad challege. My husband and I just got married 15 days ago at a local court house and are planning a small budget wedding for August. Well we decided to go up to blackhawk for a little honeymoon to enjoy ourselves and although we didn't win too much gambling we gained a little too much on the scale! SO .. we decided to do a salad challenge. We started monday and I weighted in at 180 lbs. Now the whole challenge is that you eat salad for dinner every night for a week. I know it seems hard but trust me on this one changing up the types of salads what you put on them and different dressings have helped me lose 4 lbs in just 4 days. We eat pretty normal durring the day so for example this morning I had a chai, a slice of wheat toast with almond butter and a banana for breakfast, then for lunch I ate a veggie burger and surprisingly I skipped the fries and ate another salad, for a snack I had an orange and for dinner a simple dinner salad. Now I'm not saying this is for everyone I just know we tend to eat pretty late like around 8,9 sometimes not until 10 o'clock because of our schedules and at those times both my husband and tend to over eat and then head right off to bed. 
Please let me know what you ladies think!!

The Early Yearsimage November Siggy

Re: Salad Challenge!!

• I think you could get the same results by simply monitoring your calories.  I'm a huge salad lover, and I think dinner salads are awesome, but there's no need to limit yourself to just salads for dinner.  I think for  a week, no big deal, but for longer than that you would go crazy.

Also, unless your HM was insanely long, there's a really good chance that most of that gained weight is bloat from eating restaurant food for a week.  A pound is 3500 extra calories, and you can easily gain 5-10 of bloat in a week or two.  You CANNOT easily gain 5-10 extra pounds of fat in a week.  that would be an insane amount of extra calories.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • oh theres no way I could do this for a week!! HAHA and yea those few pounds were just from bloat but its an easy fix to get rid of unwanted lbs in a few days. 
  • I'd be careful with something like this, and not do it for any more than a week (if that long). It doesn't sound like you're eating enough calories in a day, and could easily end up ending your body into starvation mode.

I'm all for salads, and we are incorporating them into our dinners almost daily, but are having them WITH our meal, not instead of. Dinner salads are a great choice sometimes, as long as you're still meeting your nutritional/caloric needs as well.

I've battled the starvation mode thingy forever. I just don't LIKE food. It's not something that I enjoy doing - cooking/eating is a necessity. I'm trying to enjoy it more, but it's a slow process. As a reult of my ambivilance I often struggle with getting enough calories. I'm also fairly active, so it's even more important.

Eating the bare minimum or less has caused me years of clinging onto pounds that I've been trying to get rid of. If your body doesn't get enough fuel it's going to hold on to everything that you put in it. Trust me, I've been there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    Be careful of what you are putting on your salads too. Creamy dressing, cheese and croutons are not your friend. But it sounds like you need to add a little more calories to your day to day. Your body will go into 'starvation' mode and actually inhibit your weight loss. Protein is great. By what you mentioned you were eating you may be vegetarian (?) but there are other sources of protein. They do wonders for your metabolism and keep your hunger in check. Good Luck! Peristance will get you anywhere!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've had the same results by eating lean cuisines every night for a week. it's all about your caloric intake. instead of eating 600 calories, i was eating 300. obviously it's going to cause a change! the problem i have with it is that you really need to exercise in order to keep the weight off. once you go back to regular dinners you may gain the weight back. 
  • manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    With a diet like this you may lose the weight, but you will most likely gain it back as soon as you go back your old way of eating. Plus, you're going to be hungry. What you need is a complete lifestyle change. Stop eating anything that is processed or comes in a package and start eating real foods: Meats, veggies, fruits, nuts. If you stick within those 4 categories, you will not only lose weight, you will feel good too! Plus it's way healthier, you won't be hungry and it's something that you can do on the longterm and not just for a few weeks.
  • thanks for your comments ladies! I am vegetarian so I know all about the combining incomplete proteins throughout the day and so on. Also this is not just a diet its more of a veggie challenge. (I really hate the word diet.) I'm studying to be a registered dietition so the importance of vegetables and healthy eating what I'm trying to stress here. I also tend to over eat at dinner and doing a lage salad full of veggies and low fat dressing is a fantastic way for me to get a lot of servings in without eatting like a cow. It is now day 7 and my hubby and I have eaten everything from regular house salads to ceasar to even a fiesta salad! I am so proud that we made it through the week with tonight being our last night, and even he said he loved it! He and I both feel better not just about our bodies but about our health as well. This is not to be done more than once a month and no longer than 7 days. Thanks again for any input and again feel free to try this to clear out a few (0-5) unwanted pounds! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_salad-challenge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:f53bf850-b8fa-46f8-aaaa-d23820e43089Post:23ffafee-5f9e-48f2-8317-88479e8b36ff">Re: Salad Challenge!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you could get the same results by simply monitoring your calories.  I'm a huge salad lover, and I think dinner salads are awesome, but there's no need to limit yourself to just salads for dinner.  I think for  a week, no big deal, but for longer than that you would go crazy. Also, unless your HM was insanely long, there's a really good chance that most of that gained weight is bloat from eating restaurant food for a week.  A pound is 3500 extra calories, and you can easily gain 5-10 of bloat in a week or two.  You CANNOT easily gain 5-10 extra pounds of fat in a week.  that would be an insane amount of extra calories.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I agree!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards