North Carolina-Outer Banks

food ideas- final fling before the ring....

Sorry this is long...
My “Final Fling Before the Ring” is this Saturday.  I’ll explain in a second but I am throwing it myself and I need some ideas of cheap food to serve before we go to dinner.   There will be about 2 hours of hanging out before we leave. Will just chips and dip and a bowl of m&ms or something simple like that be enough or should I do cheese and crackers and some small appetizers?  I am almost positive I am getting a veggie tray too.  I don’t want to overdo it but I want to make sure I have enough.  Is it better to be fancy or have more junk food type items for when we get back and some people are tipsy?

And to explain the reason I am throwing it myself is that my FI and I are only inviting our immediate families to our wedding.  I really wanted to do dinner and a hotel for a final girls night out before I got married.  I know it’s improper to throw a party for myself and I did hint around a lot to some friends and no one offered so I am just planning it myself and I told people no gifts, just pay your portion of your dinner and please contribute to the room if staying overnight.   I hate to ask anyone to bring anything especially since I am not inviting anyone to the wedding, I shouldn’t be asking them to do work for my party.  There will be about 10-12 of us.  Of course if someone offers to bring anything they are more than welcome to.

Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: food ideas- final fling before the ring....

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Lisa,
    Sounds like fun! I think for 10-12 people, the apps you mentioned are plenty. I vote a little in between junk food and fancy. You can still do the same ideas with a twist- veggie tray could include lettuce wraps too or something similar, etc. If you can find some fun and inexpensive frozen apps, those are great "drunk" food too, and easy and cheap. I hope you ladies have fun!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oh you are right, there are some great frozen apps- the hotel has a full kitchen so that's perfect!  Thank you
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggest hitting up the freezer section at Sam's Club for frozen apps.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    This sounds awesome. I think I want to do something like this. Great idea!
    Anniversary
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    5-layer dip is always a huge hit and you can get it all prepared at the grocery store/sams club. Definitely don't stress about it- the last few parties I've hosted, it's amazing how little food people actually eat.  It seems they tend to go heavier on apps, but I think just because of the mingling and social flow of things, but you don't want to over-do it before dinner, so they'll be set with whatever you have!  Frozen apps, some chips and dip, and even some store-bought cookies for  the "after party" would be perfect, I'm sure.
    PS- sorry no one jumped on throwing the party for you!  That's a bummer, but I'm sure you and everyone will have a great time.  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

tcigal- I know, I am so bummed- this wedding experience has really shown me my "friends" true colors.  I've been in 3 weddings that I threw weekend bachelorette parties for them bc that's what they wanted and I can't even get 2 of them to come to dinner for mine.  Sorry to vent, it's just frustrating. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards