Attire & Accessories Forum

White tie wedding

So, FI and I are attending a white tie evening wedding in a few weeks. He will have to rent a tux with tails, hat, gloves and the whole deal as a guest. But, what is appropriate for me to wear? I have a few long dresses, but they are strapless. Does a white tie event mean I should wear something more conservative?
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"

Re: White tie wedding

• Ladies wear floor-length dresses to white tie events. 
  • It doesn't have to be more conservative; just fancy.  Strapless floor length dresses are fine.

Wow, what a pain for male guests who have to rent tuxes with tails and hats.  
  • Long dress, strapless is fine. You will probably want to get some long gloves for yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think a long dress is fine, though you probably want to have something to cover your shoulders during the ceremony and seated meal.   A shawl or shrug would be fine.   
    DSC_9275
  • Thanks. I really didn't want to buy another long dress for this, but I'm not opposed to getting a shawl for the strapless formal dress I have. We are already spending enough on this. FI just had a custom tux made and he can't wear it! Ah well, not my wedding. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards