Florida-South Florida

cocktails and appetizers reception questions

Hi guys,

Due to financial constraints (and reading some advise on the boards lol) we are downgrading our reception from full blown dinner-style to just appetizers, cocktails, and desserts. We wanted to be able to invite everyone that will attend our ceremony to the reception (~150 people), and this is the only way we can afford to do so and not live under a box after we are married.

I have a couple of questions regarding this:
Are there any venues that will be able to accommodate us? Everything I have seen online is for sit down dinner receptions. We are looking in the general south miami area or south west miami (like kendall). I know that you can negotiate with vendors, but since I am in school right now, I want to maximize my time visiting venues and wanted to know if any of you ladies had any suggestions of where to start.

Around what time should the wedding be at to ensure that the reception does not fall into a "meal time"? I know that this is the key to having these types of receptions. The ceremony will be 1.5-2 hours long (it is a long religious ceremony). I was thinking at 7pm on a Friday (to give people time to get home from work and stuff) and the reception at 9-ish?

I am sorry for the long post, but I figured you ladies would have more experience with this! Thank you in advance for all of your help!!

photo 4d90b97c-0076-4b13-b3c1-7cddd4d8686b_zps47a19125.jpg

Re: cocktails and appetizers reception questions

• I don't have ideas for places, but I'm thinking if you call around people can give you info about it or girls here can help. I will say though if something started at 7 on a Friday in Miami I would think I was being fed. I would think oh dinner will be like 8 and honestly wouldn't eat between work and your wedding. Could you do a Saturday afternoon? Or Sunday afternoon?? If you have really heavy apps and deserts it could work though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    sat afternoon would work, but not sunday because the church has a full mass schedule. the church has a mass on saturday around 6pm, so I think the ceremony would have to be around 3?

ugh! it's times like these i wish i could win the lottery... that or elope! thanks for your response!

• what church are you looking into?

most vendors will accomodate this.. I was looking into Doral Park Country Club before I booked with Atlantis (Kendall) and they had one in their plans..strictly app's. I went to my banquet hall yesterday and they are definitely open to ideas and can tailor a party to your needs.

how long is your reception going to be?! A typical 4 or 5 hour, or shorter?

i know the place i did my engagement party (they have a facebook, it's called tropical gardens, i think) it's on krome and 166ish and they can tailor anything you'd like as well. I can give you their info if you want it. My lil sis made me a slideshow on youtube and i can link it here, but youtube iis blocked at work (i'm working now) so i can link it (if you want) when i get home
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • the church we're going to have the ceremony is Mother of Christ on coral way and 142 ave. It's the church we assist, so this is the only thing that is a must. Other than that, I'm open to any location for the reception that's not a ridiculous distance away. There are banquet halls in the church but way too small for 150 to be comfortably.

we were talking about atlantis banquet hall on the other thread lol i will definitely make an appointment with them. I was also looking into Julia's Garden Ballroom on 26 st and 142 (right across the street from the church) and making an appointment to also see if they can make an arrangement for us.

please do send me the info for the place on krome and the youtube video on your engagement party. thanks!! It would be a great help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards