Florida-North Florida

Gainesville/St Aug area venues?

FI and I want a very intimate wedding, and we have tiny families so it'll be around 20-25 guests. I'd love something outdoors, kind of quirky but also elegant. We're thinking of Sept-Oct of 2012. I'd love a spring wedding in April 2012 but FI has major allergies and says no- boo! =)

Any suggestions on where to start looking for venues? We haven't set a budget yet but I'm a librarian and he's in graduate school so we don't have much to play with. I saw Sweetwater Branch Inn in Gainesville- that looks nice. Any experience with them on this board?

Re: Gainesville/St Aug area venues?

• edited December 2011
    With his allergies I'm assuming a garden would be out of the question. Haha, because I am having mine in St. Augustine at the Lightner Museum. There is a garden in the middle of the building with a koi pond and a bridge. The ceremony is taking place on the bridge. It is beautiful! But if allergies are a problem this probably wouldn't be an option.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was married at Sweetwater and I loved it.  The staff was excellent and they don't allow tipping (which a lot of people forget to add into their budget).  They have you bring in your own alcohol which was a huge savings to us.  The coordinator also serves as your DOC on your wedding day.  I highly recommend them.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to you both! Sheila, my FI's sister got married at the Lightner 2 years ago- you're going to have a gorgeous wedding!! =) And haha, yeah, a garden wedding is exactly what I want... just not in spring. =)
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at the Government House in St. Augustine which is perfect for smaller weddings!  You should really check it out.  There are lots of pictures in my married bio (the link is in my siggy). 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • jcpalmer1dayjcpalmer1day member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    20 to 25 guests...  We are getting married at Marineland (on May 3) and they do Intimate Nuptial Ceremonies Sunday - Thursday in the evenings and the price is reasonable.  I can't wait!!!!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings at both the Lightner Museum and Marineland. Both are very beautiful. I visited Sweetwater Branch Inn with my friend when she was looking to plan her wedding but she decided to be closer to the beach. She chose the Hammock Beach Resort. I think it's close to Marineland area. it was a beautiful place and you could see the ocean from the ceremony lawn. But since I am on a tight budget I am considering having my wedding at the yacht club in Palm Coast. I get to come in by boat and the wedding coordinator there is amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards