Maine

Question about a church

So I'm not getting married for a while (a little under two years away), but I figured I'd get this question out while it's on my mind.
Now I really LOVE the St. Peter and Paul Basilica in Lewiston. It's probably the most beautiful church I've ever seen (and that's without seeing the inside). But I know how some big churches have some sort of policy about who can get married in the church, meaning that sometimes they only let people who go to the church get married in the church, so I got thinking about how I hope that isn't true with the St. Peter and Paul Basilica.
So my question is: Does the St. Peter and Paul Basilica in Lewiston have that kind of policy on who gets married there or is just anyone allowed to get married there?

Here's a link to a Wikipedia page that shows a picture of the church (unfortunately only just the front): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Saints_Peter_and_Paul_%28Lewiston,_Maine%29

Re: Question about a church

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married there in October.  I don't think there is a policy.  My fiance and I aren't members of the church but we are of another one in Lewiston.  They do require you take a marriage prep class though. I would contact Prince of Peace office. The lady there is Pat Gavula and she can help you.
    Christine & Paul- October 2, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    p.s. I have pics of the inside of the church in my bio :)
    Christine & Paul- October 2, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

My Bio
  • angegaryangegary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you Catholic? Most of the Catholic Churches will allow you to marry there if you or your fiance are Catholic. In most cases you need to have a letter sent from the Catholic Church you attend.  Each church in the diocese is very different and have different guidelines, which I found out when planning my wedding.  They do not just rent out the church. The best way to get the info you need is call. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards