Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

would you eat this dessert?

Would you eat a cheesecake (or cupcake, brownie, cream puff, cookie, etc.) if you were told it was Vegan?  (this assumes you're not vegan yourself... and that you'd eat the item if it was not vegan -obviously if you don't like cheesecake/brownies/cookes/etc. you probably wouldn't want to eat the item regardless)

Re: would you eat this dessert?

• edited December 2011
    Yes, but I'm vegetarian.  My FI said he would eat a vegan dessert even before he met me (and started eating more vegetarian things), but he would have lower expectations.  I don't really like cheesecake, and I've found that I actually prefer vegan cheesecake. 

Why would you tell people it's vegan if you think they might not eat it? 
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How on earth do you make CHEESEcake vegan?

ETA: I don't see how it could be on par with real cheesecake.
  • edited December 2011
    FI did a fast for Lent a couple of years ago.  He's Greek Orthodox so this meant being a vegan for all of Lent.  I made Vegan desserts that people online had absolutely raved about.  He loved every one of them - I choked, they were so horrible and I'm a person who will usually eat any type of dessert.  After he was back to eating meat and dairy for a few months, I made one of them again.  He had pretty much the same reaction I did at that point. I really think liking these desserts depends on what you are used to eating.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well I wouldn't announce it... but if someone asked "oh these cupcakes are delicious where did you get them?" and i said "oh this bakery "vegan treats" it's nearby".... and then they turned around and said to someone "oh it's VEGAN".... or something along those lines... I might tell my mom... "oh i'm ordering cheesecake from the bakery, they're called "vegan treats" and they'll be dropping them off at 10" she might take it upon herself to "warn" people that they're vegan....

so yea, it's not like i'd make a big deal of it, but if so and so mentioned to so and so... I know some people can be wary of eating something that's vegan... they'll think "oh it's a cookie made of tofu" and not eat it...

and they're expensive!!!!!  But the whole point of ordering it would be to share something with others I think is great, so if no one would eat them it's pointless :/

edited December 2011
    FI and I are not vegan and ate their cheesecake and thought it was really good.  He thought the crust was a little off, but might of just thought it was regular cheesecake with a crust that was a little off.

it's a bakery that's apparently been on a ton of tv shows and cooking mags, and won some awards in competitions wtih non-vegan foods. I'm just afraid people wouldn't even try it because of prior assumptions/experience with vegan food.
  • edited December 2011
    peanutty, you know your guests, and unfortunately your mom sounds like she would not be down with it.  I wouldn't be worried about my family (3/5 of my immediate family is vegetarian, and I have successfully eaten with my grandparents at vegan restaurants, including ice cream) or friends (lots of veggies there), but it's really dependent on your guests.  Are you opposed to serving nonvegan desserts?  If not, can you have some vegan and some nonvegan cupcakes?  I don't think you have to tell people which is which (unless the person is vegan, that is), but let them try both and see what they like.  

I will add that vegan desserts (and seitan and soy entrees) are something that I have a lot of trouble making myself...I personally think it's harder to recreate good vegan food at home than other kinds of food and nonvegan desserts.  Maybe I just don't have the right recipes.  

ETA: I just saw your response that you're not vegan.  In that case, I would have vegan and nonvegan options if your budget allows.  
    edited December 2011
    jessica - agreed, it is hard to make at home! 

I am going to have a regular ole wedding cake.  So there'd be that.  We were going to have additional treats - maybe pies or cookies - and I saw this and got so excited!  I can't eat much dairy so a "cheese"cake at my wedding that I wouldn't have to be worried about the after effects of sounded awesome!  And they make some pretty awesome looking desserts so I thought others would enjoy too. 

Thanks for the opinions! 
  • edited December 2011
    I probably wouldn't advertise that they're vegan to the non-vegans.  The majority of vegan desserts I've had weren't that great, and most people I know are pretty wary.  I will generally pass on a vegan dessert because of my past experiences, unless I know the bakery is highly recommended.  At a wedding, I would hope that they went with someone who does a good job and I would try it if it's a dessert I normally like (so, not cheesecake), but I think a lot of people won't or that they will be overly critical if they do try it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    vegan cheesecake is much better than regular cheesecake. and i can eat it without being sick (i cant have creamcheese)
    however, there is some weird stigma on vegan food, like it can't taste good. (no idea why) so most people would probably throw a fit.
  • avielma7890avielma7890 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my maid of honor is vegan and she makes some of the BEST baked goods ever! her cupcakes/brownies/cookies are always so moist and full of flavor. I will admit I was definitely skeptical when she first had me try one of her vegan creations but now I dont hesistate at all!
  • edited December 2011
    I have had vegan desserts without being told they were vegan and every time I am like hmmm there is something weird about this dessert and it doesn't taste very good. Then the person will be like oh isn't it amazing it's vegan!!!

So yeah I would definately skip it.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't have a problem with them being vegan.  I would just have to make sure they didn't contain tofu or soy products. 
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would depend on what else was there. If there was only vegan available, I would eat it. Otherwise I'd choose other desserts.
  • AbbyjensenAbbyjensen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would!

When it comes to desserts, I find that vegan items are good. I have a friend who is extremely allergic to milk, so he often prepares vegan items and they are always delicious.

I would only want to advertise it as vegan in case other guests are lactose intolerant, or are following a vegan diet and would like to eat it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_would-eat-this-dessert?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:9adb0c0e-5f77-4bb2-8594-ec60ba410914Post:06129c0e-0980-41ad-8eaf-c4a6bdfd86af">Re: would you eat this dessert?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, but I'm vegetarian.  My FI said he would eat a vegan dessert even before he met me (and started eating more vegetarian things), but he would have lower expectations.  I don't really like cheesecake, and I've found that I actually prefer vegan cheesecake.    Why would you tell people it's vegan if you think they might not eat it? 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Same, I'm vegetarian and I often eat a lot of vegan food. I guess I think it's less weird than some people might.  Meaning I eat a wide variety of things, rather than meat-starch-vegetable, so I'm used to outside the box stuff.

I do think cheesecake made with toffuti has a bit of a soy aftertaste, so I don't PREFER it, but it's fine. I also regularly eat ice cream made with coconut milk which is SO good.

I wouldn't advertise it's vegan, though, because of pre-concieved notions. We actually had a vegetarian wedding and didn't make a huge production of it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll try anything.  I'm curious like that.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd try it, but can't promise I would eat the whole thing. If you're worried about your guests not liking it, maybe offer something else for those who aren't a fan?

Like PPs have said, if you don't announce it, everyone will take a piece and try it - they may not like it, but I doubt that they'd tell you that on your wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys!

Also, since I got 7 votes who asked what vegan is - it means it has no eggs or dairy in it.  So it might be made with soymilk instead of regular milk for example.

And yes, we'd still have a "regular" wedding cake.  These were just extra treats on the side.
  • dees14dees14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would try it, since I've never turned a dessert down, but I can't promise I'd take more than a bite! I have a non-vegan friend who went to a wedding and they only served vegan food. She was not a fan of anything served, and she is not a picky eater. People who don't have the palate of a vegan may not love it..
  • meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't vote because there wasn't an answer for "I'd eat most vegan desserts if they were good, but the vegan cheesecakes I've tried have been universally terrible." I'm not vegan, or vegetarian, but I'm pretty open-minded food-wise and often like vegan and vegetarian food. I just can't stand tofu, and you can't disguise the fact that vegan cheesecake is mostly made of ingredients that aren't the same as regular cheesecake. Vegan brownies and cake, though, are mostly made of the same flour and sugar and chocolate as the ones I'm used to, so the lack of milk and eggs isn't a total shock to the palate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards