Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

wedding on a budget

hello... i got engaged in November but new on here. I haven't really got any planning done due to budget issues. I;ve only done a little online browsing. I want to have a nice wedding in Cincinnati. I'm not really sure of my budget yet but I know it won't be too much. I'm starting with trying to find a nice yet affordable place to have the ceremony and reception with catering since that is the majority of the cost and go from there. Any ideas....

Re: wedding on a budget

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the post three posts down, it has a lot of good ideas.

Also, if you haven't set your date yet (not sure because it sayd you're getting married on 11/16/11 which is a Wednesday?) you can save a lot of money just by having an off season wedding (January- March)  you can also save a lot of money by doing a Friday or Sunday wedding rather than a Saturday.  I saved at least $10,000 just on food and drink for my venue by getting married on a Saturday in March.  Also DIY can save you as well, but it can also be as costly sometimes as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Before you choose a ceremony or reception venue, you need to know how big your guest list is going to be.  Keeping your guest list small is the easiest way to cut the budget.  Also, saying your budget won't be "too much" isn't very helpful, as to some, that might mean $2500, while to others it might mean $15000.  

Before you start looking to book any vendors, I would recommend you:
    1. make up a draft guest list
    2. determine how much you and FI have to spend on the wedding (whether from your own savings, or if either of your parents offer to contribute money)
    3. Create a draft budget.  Look at what typical percentages are for a budget, then adjust that based on what is important to you.

GL!
  • Options
    kellykmj82kellykmj82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your advice. My wedding date isn't accurate because I thought I should figure out how much it would take me to save the money before I set an accurate date. I was thinking November because it's our current anniversary and when we got engaged but I also thought that November was during off season.... I was also thinking of a Friday night. And I'll be doing as much DIY as possible to save some cash too
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did kinda make a sample guest list on the knot. I have a big family so as of know there are 150 people on the list. We will be paying for the whole wedding ourselves & I'm currently looking for a job... but I want to try to do it as cheap as I can with it still looking nice. I was thinking of a budget of $5000... if I can do that
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you thinking November 2011? That would give you a nice amount of time to prepare.

In your budget also be prepared for when you do decide to start booking venues and vendors that you need about 1500-2500 (possibly more depending on budget and where/whom you choose) up front for deposits to book all your vendors. Cake places take about 100.00, Photographers take 250-500, Florists 150-300, and the most important is venue which is usually 10% of your package you pick with them.

After that, they generally have  a set payment schedule, but most do not care if you pay them monthly which may help you in putting the wedding in a managable budget. Just keep those reciepts!

Good luck and congratulations!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you want to stay at $5000, it will be tight if you're going to do a full dinner wedding.  Do an afternoon event to save money (food and beverage costs are lower).  Look for a place where you can bring in your own catering, like those mentioned in the other post.  Bargain shop- that stuff at hobby lobby will be half off about every six weeks, try to find a once used dress (snooty fox or chaz consignment), etc.  It can be done, but it's going to take some legwork. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you can probably make it work on your budget, but like Mrs. D said, it will take some work, and you probably won't be able to have a Saturday evening, black tie affair.  But that doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful wedding that is perfect for you and your FI.  Mrs. D gave some good tips to get started.

While we are spending way more than $2,000 on our wedding, I found this blog at the beginning of planning and it helped me to realize there are lots of ways to have a meaningful wedding without spending $25,000.  It also has some great ideas about ways to save money:
    http://2000dollarwedding.com/2008/07/from-conception-to-reception.html

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This article was published in the Knot and has some great money saving tips:

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-budget/articles/cheap-wedding-in-cincinnati-ohio.aspx
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yea november of 2011 was 1 of our ideas... if i can find a job anytime soon that would help with saving for our wedding fund! Thanks for all the advice! It's very helpful!  I hadn't evn thought of having to put down all the deposits! I found somewhere that looks like I would pay about $3500 for the ceremony, reception, catering. I just don't know if I'd still be able to fit everything else in my budget.... It's a work in progress though! I'll have to see if the place is decent or not also!
  • Options
    TMarieInOHTMarieInOH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww Kel Kel!

Welcome to the Knot! :-)

Let me know if you need any help with planning or with the DIY!

Here are some budget tips- I don't like the knot budgeter...

50% of your budget is for reception- venue rental, food & service, alcohol, bar services and cake & cutting services- don't forget the 27% off the top for tax and gratuity.

Attire is 10%- that's for your dress, alterations, hair & make up ect. This also includes Mark's tux or suit- though if you do rental, you can usually get the groom's free.

The ceremony is 3%- location fee, officiant fee, ceremony accessories and marriage license.

Flowers & Decor -10%- all the bouqets, centerpieces and ceremony decorations

Music- 10%- both ceremony music & reception music

Stationary- 3% - Save the dates (not neccessary), invites, programs, thank you notes and postage

Transportation & Lodging- 1% - Hotel accommodations and limo services

The last 3% is for attendant gifts, favors & parents gifts.

These are all just guidelines- you just have to decide what's most important to you, and adjust it to your needs.

I am happy to show you all my resources and the excel file I use to keep track of our budget.

My suggestions- skip the transportation and lodging, forget the Save the dates, host the wedding and reception in the same place, DIY flowers, book your preferred vendors early (the ones with the great prices book well in advance!) and be careful of the alcohol bill.

Oh yea- AND don't forget to ask for help if you need it! I know you have a pretty awesome cousin who works for Clinique who would be happy to do your make up! ;-)

Love ya!

Theresa
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome. Im doing 250 people for $5,000. Feel free to check out my bio.

http://www.projectwedding.com/biography/list/amanda6033

If your affiliated with a church, its free to have the ceremony, and only small cost for a recpetion/hall if they have one. Thats what were doing. For food, we are using a restraunt. WAY cheaper than caterer. For Pompilios Italian for everyone its only $730 for alfredo penne and pasta meat sauce rigatoni. They were supplying the salad. Theres a bunch of tricks to have a nice wedidng.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Theresa! I think I'll need all the help I can get trying to find the right place in the right budget among other things! Maybe after your wedding in Sept. you might have some time to sit down and figure some stuff out with me if I haven't got it done by then! Oh and I got the budget you emailed me to pull up now... I'll definately need that! Love ya too pretty awesome cousin who works for Clinique! :-)

And thanks Amanda I'll check out your bio for some ideas!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Not sure where you are located but there is a place in Owensville (near Batavia) called Pattinson park, they are extremely reasonable. They do book out far inadvance bc of that reason. My cousin and a friend of my got married and help receptions there. Also you can bring in your own caterering, and I also suggest Golden Rule Catering in Ameila. They have great food at a reasonable price.

I just got engaged and I think the hardest thing is finding a place to get married and have a reception at a decent price.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards