New York-New York City

Dress Shopping Reviews

Hi Ladies,
I've been meaning to post this for a while, as I found my dress back in June. But good luck to those brides still looking, here are some of the ones that I visited:
  • Lovely Bridal Shop, 313 West 4th Street (Between W. 12th & Bank). I was drawn to this shop first after reading about it on a few wedding blogs. They were also the only shop in the city that stocked Delphine Manivet and Ivy & Aster. I tried on some gorgeous dresses, and at great prices, but unfortunately none of them were winter appropriate. Perhaps I’ll go back for a cocktail dress for the after-party.
  • The Bridal Garden, 54 West 21st Street, Suite 907 (Between 5th & 6th Ave.) This is a fantastic organization that sells pre-owned gowns at sample sale prices by top designers, the best part is that proceeds go to the Sheltering Arms Children’s Service. I was referred to this place by my coworker who found hers as a young bride looking for a good deal.
  • Gabriella New York, 400 West 14th Street Suite 2A (at 9th Ave.) I was referred here by another coworker. The salon was gorgeous and natural sunlight was spilling everywhere. This was also the place where I got to try on that gorgeous Douglas Hannant dress. The service was top notch, I highly recommend you make an appointment with Campbell.
  • Priscilla of Boston, 264 West 40th Street (at 8th Ave.) This place was the most disappointing for me, simply because the silhouettes and prices were not what I was looking for. Their entire catalog of current styles are all available on their website, so you can review them first before you try them on. The service was great, but I think my consultant knew that she wasn’t going to get a sale from me. However, she was kind enough to refer me to…
  • [Edit: They're actually going out of business, so you might be able to find some ridiculously good deals]
  • Pronovias Flagship Store, 14 East 52nd Street (Between 5th & Madison) If you’re looking for lace, this is place to find it. And they are extraordinary. My consultant wasn’t very intuitive, I don’t think she really understood my style and taste. Even though they were having their trunk sale when I visited I still couldn’t find what I was looking for. Although, the consultants don’t really have to do much work (if you have the budget) because the dresses pretty much sell themselves.
  • RK Bridal, 54 West 21st Street (Between 8th & 9th) The best way I could describe this place is: a warehouse of dresses. Not just bridal gowns but bridesmaid and flower girl dresses to boot. It’s complete and utter chaos, and yet this was where I found it. You really have to go there with a lot of patience and a specific look in mind, or else you’ll be searching for hours. But you do have a lot of time to search while you wait for an available consultant. They don’t take appointments so you just need to get there early to sign in, the latest by 1:30 pm. Sheryl is by far the best consultant there, and her wall of beloved thank you notes display it proudly. I was lucky enough to have her because she picked up on my style immediately and after a couple fittings we found the one.
I've Got the Wedding Bell Blues

Re: Dress Shopping Reviews

• JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sheryl helped me find my dress at RK Bridal as well. She's great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Shini,
    I will be going on my first dress shopping excursion this Saturday and wanted to ask you what the selection was like at Priscilla of Boston. Their web site says that the gowns are now 70% off, so I was wondering if by this point they even have much left? Also, were the samples still in decent shape after having been tried on by so many bargain-hunting brides?

• edited December 2011
    @mellimel19 Unfortunately, I haven't been there in a while since they announced they were going out of business. If you already are a sample size, usually a 6-10 then you'll have a lot to choose from. Good luck!!!
    I've Got the Wedding Bell Blues
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Shini,
    Thanks for your feedback. I stopped in there on Saturday- they didn't have much left at all as their sample dresses are now 70% off. Also, they were in pretty bad shape after being tried on so many times. But after the pressure cooker that was RK Bridal, I at least I felt I could try on dresses at my own pace and get a better sense of the silhouettes that looked best on me. Plus I could take pictures there! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards