July 2013 Weddings

Opinions on inviting co-workers.

I just celebrated a year where I work and I'm beginning to debate inviting co-workers. I know ettiquite says if I invite a few then I should invite them all ( I work in a hospital so it'd be an additial 20 people or so)  The thing is, with the exception of about 3 girls, I don't talk to these people outside of the workplace. Nor can I tolerate how petty and "cliquey" these adults are. Is it wrong to just invite those 3 I'm closer to or do I not invite anyone?  We're having a close family and friends reception so I guess I'm not sure how to answer the "am I invited" question. Thoughts?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Opinions on inviting co-workers.

• I'm kind of debating the same thing, but I've been with the company for about 6 months and in my current positions for about 6 weeks.  If I invited just the people I've worked with, it'd be an additional 42 people (21 people, plus spouses), which is way to many.  I've thought about just inviting just my supervisors and the people I've worked with the most (which would narrow it down to about 15, including spouses) then extending an open invitation to the rest of my co-workers/department saying they're welcome to come to the reception for cake and dancing.  I know that's not the best thing ettiquette-wise, but that's kind of how it's done in that office and my FMIL says that's what some have done in hers as well.  Either way, there will be at least 3 people from my office who will be there (FI's aunt, cousin, and neighbor all work for that same company!) and if all else fails, it'll just be those 3.

Back to your question (sorry, that was a big detour!), I think it's just fine to only invite those you are closest too.  If they ask why they weren't invited, first of all, they're the ones being rude.  It's a big faux pas to ask that.  Second, you can just answer that you're having a smaller reception and you couldn't invite everyone.  Blame it on small budget or venue, your big family, your FI's frat brothers, etc or whatever.  Then change the subject.  It'll help if you don't talk too much about your wedding with your co-workers, too.  If they don't know much about it, they're less likely to expect an invitation.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Emmy, lol @ the frat brothers comment. I literally lol'd and snorted. :) I dont think I even want to invite my boss. I forgot all about spouses so my #'s are closer to yours. I never talk about my plans to anyone unless asked and even then I don't really say much about it. I may just do what you suggested with inviting just the girls I talk to on a regular basis. Thanks!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I don't think inviting 3 out of 20 is a problem.  I think the issue arises when people who work with 6 people invite 4 and leave the rest out. 
  • It's a hard dilemma cause the two ladies I work with were the ones who encouraged ("forced") me to join match.com where I met my fiancé and while we get along very well I am not sure I want them at our intimate wedding.

I will give them both a thank you gift/token but not inviting them to my destination wedding. Should I feel bad?

• This is a very sticky situation for myself as well. I don't think it will go over very well with my co-workers I also work in a hospital and there are really only a few people I want to invite I guess I will worry more about this later when I'm forced to have my final guest list. I also lol'd at the frat brothers comment!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker July 2013 Knotties April Siggy Challenge - Why July? July 20th 2013 We both love summer!
  • It's acceptable E-wise to invite only those you're close to (and their SOs).  Just don't talk about the wedding at work and be sure to mail their invites to their homes as opposed to passing them out at work :)

Turnover is so I high where I currenty work chances are even if I still work there when wedding time comes around that nobody else except our lady with nearly 40yrs in will be.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • This is a hard issue for me as well.

If I were you, I would only invite who I want to invite. Period. 

My FI does not like my boss (and vice versus) the only person I would invite. Despite this, I would still like to invite my boss, as my FI's last supervisor will be attending, which made me a little upset. My FI does not think he should have to 'play nice' to my supervisor at his wedding, which I can understand. So my approach will be to tell my boss that we are having a small wedding (true), where we can only afford to invite a small number. I think my boss will be hurt, as this person has invited me and I have attend personal events for them. But I think I will take the advice of PP and have a thank you gift prepared for her. So I am not inviting anyone from my job, after my time there of 2 years. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards