New York

Price chopper/wegmans/other grocery store flowers for wedding/reception?

We booked our flowers for the bridal party and centerpieces for the reception.
Im having doubts. I didnt price shop. I went with a florist who is doing my djs wedding, who I am friends with.
I've heard from people in the past that theyve had great flowers from grocery stores for their weddings, but never heard about any local grocery stores here.
Anyone ever use them? My head is spinning when I heard someone tell me I could have probably booked through a grocery store fro 1/3 of the cost.

Re: Price chopper/wegmans/other grocery store flowers for wedding/reception?

• edited December 2011

We are doing DIY bouquets (ordering flowers in bulk and assembling them ourselves) and Non-floral centerpieces... so we really don't need much and didn't want to mess with a florist.
    I checked into Wegmans... their prices were cheaper than a florist... actually pretty good I guess.   I think we will pay about $300 for 12 dozen white roses, 10 dozen green roses and 6 dozen black calla lillies.... or something close to that.
    I definitely plan to check Price Chopper- I actually saw a display they had at a recent bridal show and I was really impressed.
    I am also looking into Sams and Bunches Direct, but I am a little nervous about ordeing them online.  Don't know why, I buy everything else online, lol.

My biggest issue has been the calla lillies (very expensive no matter where you go).
    I think if you are looking to save $$, not only look elsewhere (Wegmans and Price Chopper both seem to do a beautiful job), but also look into the type of flowers you want... certain flowers go way way up during their "off-season"
    HTH

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it just depends what you're looking for.  Yes, grocery stores would be cheaper, but will you have to put everything together yourself?  A florist will do all of that for you, but you have to pay for it (and their expertise).

I just picked my florist too.  She got rave reviews and she owns her own farm where she gets the flowers.  So it's cheaper than a more traditional florist (I assume based on hearsay because I didn't actually meet with any others!) and it's under my flower budget which is awesome! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't price check the grocery stores either, but have since heard amazing things about Wegmans and Price Chopper.

My florist is buying a bazillion white roses b/c all the bouquets, corsages, bouts will be white roses. She said she'll have enough left over for the FG basket and to put some on the tables...Im paying $700. At the time I was looking at Florists I got to a "I dont care, just do it" point and probably should have looked better.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    Wegmans can do beautiful work, and can undercut cost of a florist. Personally I chose a small family owned florist, because it's important to me to support small business in my community (yeah I'm one of those people) and when I met with her she was totally personable, and awesome, and we really made a great plan that works for me.
    A friend of mine used Wegmans, but had a horrible headache the week of her wedding because everytime she called, and when she went to pay, and then pick up the order(s) she spoke to a different person, which was horrible, so this lead to some miscommunications and problems. Everything that can go wrong with a big business, when you might walk in and an 18yo is manning your order the day of the wedding, instead of the department head who you spoke to initially, and the ditz rings things up incorrectly certainly can happen, as it did for my friend.
    So, just a few things to consider.
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    Wegmans in Dewitt did my flowers. We used all calla lilies (black and purple/white for the girls and white for the guys) and roses for all the corsages for moms and aunts. Calla lilies are the most expensive flower hands down. They make roses look cheap. I didnt have any other flowers besides bridal party & family and it ran us 900 which is pretty good considering what we ordered. They did an amazing job and it was completely stress free I totally recommend wegmans.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_price-chopperwegmansother-grocery-store-flowers-weddingreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:9a9a4b59-b9a5-4397-b066-b32c5e38ef17Post:994254f7-a53c-4fc4-a1a4-b80462eed774">Re: Price chopper/wegmans/other grocery store flowers for wedding/reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it just depends what you're looking for.  <strong>Yes, grocery stores would be cheaper, but will you have to put everything together yourself?</strong>  A florist will do all of that for you, but you have to pay for it (and their expertise). I just picked my florist too.  She got rave reviews and she owns her own farm where she gets the flowers.  So it's cheaper than a more traditional florist (I assume based on hearsay because I didn't actually meet with any others!) and it's under my flower budget which is awesome! 
    Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

You don't HAVE to put them together yourself... that is just what we are doing to save some $$$.  Wegmans and Price Chopper both provide your typical "florist" services... bouquets, corsages, table arrangements, etc. 
    The Wegmans in Dewitt does all of their weddings (and they book fast).  If you look at the Wegmans website, you can see some of their work.  They really do a beautiful job.  I think Price Chopper offers wedding servcies at a few different locations, but not sure which ones.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin used Wegmans last summer for her wedding and liked it. I priced out 3 florists and wegmans. I am looking for 25 centerpieces, bridal bouquet, 8 bridesmaids, 8 groomsmen, 6 grandparents, 4 parents, ceremony centerpiece and hydrangea balls for every other pew in the chuch.. so a lot of flowers. I didn't go with Wegmans because when everything was priced out... the private florists were about the same as the grocery store. I guess it just depends what you are pricing. If you need a lot of flowers... it will probably be similar either way. I am sure whatever you go with will be perfect. Don't stress :)
    Photobucket
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  I had no idea that Wegman's, Price Chopper, etc. would do the whole shebang.  Interesting!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Just had a consultation with Jennifer at price chopper in western lights today she was so great!!! I haven't received my quote yet but mu budget is 800 I'll let you know what the total is when I get it
  • edited December 2011
    havent got the quote yet... should get it tomorrow
  • bitofritsbitofrits member
    edited December 2011
    I know the Clay Price Chopper does flowers.  They were at the last Syracuse Bridal Show I went to.
    My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • bitofritsbitofrits member
    edited December 2011
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">In Response to <a style="text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal;color:#1f1f1f;" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_price-chopperwegmansother-grocery-store-flowers-weddingreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:9a9a4b59-b9a5-4397-b066-b32c5e38ef17Post:994254f7-a53c-4fc4-a1a4-b80462eed774">Re: Price chopper/wegmans/other grocery store flowers for wedding/reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it just depends what you're looking for.  Yes, grocery stores would be cheaper, but will you have to put everything together yourself?  A florist will do all of that for you, but you have to pay for it (and their expertise). I just picked my florist too.  She got rave reviews and she owns her own farm where she gets the flowers.  So it's cheaper than a more traditional florist (I assume based on hearsay because I didn't actually meet with any others!) and it's under my flower budget which is awesome! 
    Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

<div>If you don't mind me asking, who's your florist?</div></div>
    My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • bout2break69bout2break69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked with jenn also at the price chopper in western lights. She was awesome and seemed to really know her stuff:) the books of flower arrangement pics of work she had done were just as good as all the other florists we had went to. Originally we booked floral gardens but then decided their 1700 price tag was waaaaay too much, and for the exact same thing Jenn is only charging us $600!!!! I'm very excited and pleased that I decided to switch to price chopper instead:)
    A decade of dating is ending with the beginning of a lifetime journey with my best friend:)
  • edited December 2011
    We are going with Jen at western lights price chopper too! She quoted us at just over 700 dollars and that includes my bouquet 4 bridesmaids one junior bridesmaid she threw in the throw bouquet for free and two alter bouquets for the church and boutineers for the groomsmen four of those and flowers for the parents I didn't put the Centerpieces in there tho
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards