Michigan-Detroit
Options

Good idea or bad idea?

I am finalizing the design for my invites. I'm doing a panel pocketfold. On one of the inserts, I was going to put our contact information (both FI's and my phone numbers and email addresses). I thought this would be good so distant relatives, friends of my parents, etc can get ahold of us if they have any questions about hotels, locations, etc. Good idea or bad idea? Can anyone think of reasons we shouldn't do this?  Thanks!

Re: Good idea or bad idea?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there a reason they would/should call you/FI and not the parents?

IMO its a bad idea because that's just putting more stress on you to deal with the calls/emails from relatives that could be handled by someone else.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The hard thing is that no one else knows the details. FI's parents live in Grand Rapids and my parents live in the UP and Florida. I've pretty much planned the whole thing myself because no one lives close enough to help me. When we were over at FI's for Easter and his sister had a bunch of questions about the hotel and shuttle. I was thinking it would be easier for people to call me directly, then to call my mom who would call me and then call them back.

I was thinking if people had questions, I would get them right away, not close to the wedding when I will be stressing out. IDK though...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea - I was 100% in charge of all of our RSVPs. If I would have left this up to my parents or ILs it would have been a freaking disaster with extra people and kids running around. I mean, I did tell you guys that my MIL bought extra invites and sent them out... right? 

Invites/RSVPs were the things that I HAD to be in control of 100%. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Booger. I think it's a bad idea. Having your contact info on the invite is just going to be added stress. Have the parents deal with the questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meghan - Jody's talking about adding her/FI's phone and email as an informational contact not for RSVPs.

Jody - I think the problem will be when it gets close to the date because people will call then for info. Its hard to say really without knowing your family - are they high maintenance type people that will call every 10 minutes or just shoot you one quick email a month before?

Do you have a website for guests? Could you put all the hotel, shuttle, local attractions, etc on there? That would hopefully answer most people's questions without having to call anyone.
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    That's a hard one. Have you thought of putting together a website with all of the details? That way you're not answering the same questions over and over. If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't put your contact info on the invite.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely be hesitant about doing it myself.  But I can understand why you would want it.  I agree with the website thing...if you can have that and have as much info on there as possible that may help answer most of the questions.

My other suggestion is to create a questions email address and just put that on there.  At least for me, emails are way easier to respond to, and if you do that you won't be bothered by calls at all times.  You can sit down and answer any and all questions at once and that way it won't stress you out or interfere with every day life.
  • Options
    jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    I have everything on our wedding website that has all the general information. Also, our inserts have a ton of information. My family isn't high maintenance, so I don't anticipate getting alot of calls. I guess I just want to be sure that all my OOT guests can get ahold of someone if they have questions, either a month before or close to the wedding. My mom and FI's mom are not good about being accessible by email or cell phone, but they do answer their landlines if they are home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't put that added stress on you by putting your information out there.  Just be sure that any information they would need is either on your website or in your invites.  There will people that are too dumb to figure it out even when you lay it all out there, but I still say don't put the stress of having them bother you when you will have a million other things to be thinking about.

You could even have someone else (trusted family member, co-worker, etc.) that can look at the invite and let you know if they would have any uncertainties if they were to receive the invite... just to be sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like you know your situation and the guests' situations better than anyone else; if you're not intimidated by the responsibility of fielding the questions so near your wedding I say go ahead. You will have the peace of mind that everyone is getting identical, accurate information, should they need it. It won't be as easy as giving the duty to someone else, but it sounds like in your situation you needed to come up with an alternative.

FWIW I will be putting our email and phone number on the invites as well. I guess I assumed it was our job as the couple to answer our guests' questions and handle every rsvp (and related conflict). I will also be putting together a minimal guest information website that they may refer to, but I recognize some of my guests won't be willing or able to use it (g-rents, etc).

GL I'm sure whatever decision you make will be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Kristen - you will know best whether its a good idea. It sounds like your family won't be too crazy. So perhaps it wouldn't be that bad.

Still, I personally wouldn't do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards