November 2012 Weddings

HELP!! 1T or 2T veil??

Ok, so I really want a cathedral length veil with a blusher (probably using the wrong term, because I know blusher is really the shorter/bird cage looking type, I mean the longer one. Like elbow length). I thought when buying a 2 Tiered veil, you use the shorter teir to cover your face, and leave the long tier flowing behind you.

This weekend at the bridal boutique I was told this is very wrong. The saleswoman told me you are supposed to buy two SEPARATE veils, one cathedral and one elbow length. And then for the reception you just remove the elbow veil. Is this true? I understand that if there is some sort of beading/design on the veil, that flipping it over your face would cause the design to be backwards and inside out. But what if there is no design on the veil? It felt like she was just trying to get me to buy two veils.

She also said something about how you shouldn't have any design at all on the blusher because it will cause spotting on your face in pictures or something... but if the veil is outlined in lace or something, I don't see how this would be a problem.

I am not opposed to buying two veils, because I also like the idea of removing the cathedral all together for the reception and replacing it with the elbow length one, so it is not dragging around all night. I was just curious if this were true about 2 tiered veils or if the woman was just trying to make a sale(or two sales)? What if I find a 2T veil that I love... I've already found one that I really like and have been unable to find the similar pattern in 1T.

I know I can ask this in Attire and Accessories, but I wanted to ask my fellow Nov. '12 brides first for your opinion... Thank you in advance! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP!! 1T or 2T veil??

• I have never heard of buying 2 veils.  Either she is misinformed or taking you for a good financial ride.

They are called blushers, you're right.  2 tiered veils.  Most people don't put veils over their faces anymore anyhow, they just put them back farther on the head so the 2 tiers hang down your back. 

But if that was what you were planning on doing....a 2 tiered veil is the way to go.  However, she is right with "spots" on your face....I guess she means if crystals or pearls are scattered throughout.  The blusher portion should just have detail on the edge....so it won't interfere with that.  That aside you'll have about 4 pictures taken with a veil over your face.....none of which will ever be framed.  If you love a veil that has loads of beading and crystals, go for it. 

The first veil I had one that was pretty had a scalloped edge with crystals around the edge (2 tiered) but I went with a...whats it called..mantilla?  With the lace edging, those spanish style veils.  So that is a 1 tier obviously and I'll stick it back farther on my head then probably take it off before the dances. 

But definitely do not buy 2 veils!!!  My veil...single layer, was $200...it will get costly quickly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • You should be able to get a veil thats longer in the back and has the attached, shorter (blusher) part. I have seen this plenty of times and there wasn't 2 veils.
    Could she have been telling you this to get you to spend more money and buy 2 veils.
    I got mine at valuveil.com for $15 with shipping, elbow length with scattered rhinestones, it's perfect and looks like it cost way more that $15! I would look elsewhere than that shop.

Also, in regards to wearing the shorter veil all night, I would think this through. To each their own, but even at that length, you can get it pulled when taking pictures with people and dancing and you don't want it to ruin your hair! Or hurt in someway.

Good luck
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    Thanks girls! I thought a 2T would be fine... now just to find the right one. And I am definitely not purchasing my veil at the shop even though that is where I am buying my gown. I have been looking all over online, so I will check out the site you mentioned.

Amy - I wasn't planning on wearing the veil all night and through the reception, just for the pictures with the bridal party post ceremony. We have a 4 hour gap between the end of the ceremony and start of cocktail hour so we are going into center city to take pictures at some of the Philadelphia landmarks. I just didn't want the cathedral veil dragging all over the city. Yuck. The woman had talked about bustling the veil, but I don't want to do that at all. I might end up just buying two if I can find them for a good price. Even the blushers with nothing on them at the bridal shop were $100. Ridiculous for just a piece of tulle attached to a comb...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds good!
    Definatley check out other places
  • Agreed, veils are ridiculous.  I managed to get $100 off mine so I didn't feel so bad. 

I'd like to keep mine on the whole night, but people keep telling me they get in the way.  So just in case I do take it out before the dance, I'll make sure there is a sparkly comb or clip in my hair for a bit of bling.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • They made my sister buy two veils! These women will scam you for every scent you have!
  • edited March 2012

I ordered a cathedral length veil and had a blusher added to it. It hasn't come in yet, but I'm really excited about it. I do agree about making the blusher simple without designs on it. My cathedral veil has little pearls and crystals throughout and the blusher I added is plain with no edging. That way when my dad lifts my blusher back there won't be a conflicting design on my already gorgeous veil. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello I work in a bridal shop and I do NOT work on comission and I do NOT get any incentives for selling for items etc. We were put through extensive training and education to make sure that ALL of our brides have the best possible wedding.

The Main veil with the design, beading, lace, or embroidery is meant to be hung behind your head. The BLUSHER veil, The shorter veil with NO design is meant to be positioned just ontop of the veil and then flipped to cover your face. The reason behind this that 1. most brides do not want to wear this part of the veil all night long. 2. because of the lack of design any photos taken from the front with have the hue of the veil but with out any disruption in the design of the Brides gown. 3. the blusher veil is usually made with a lighter tulle and does not make the bride feel as though she is caged in.

To embellish on point 2. I can understand your reservations about purchasing 2 veils. I myself am not purchasing either but making them becasue i too feel as though $170 for a 1 tier beaded veil it too expensive. However, I can only suggest you do an experiment. Take a 2 tier veil and flip the first layer over your head. Take a picture from the front. Notice the embellishments and how they show up in the pictures. Now take the same veil and the blusher over your face and take the same picture. Notice the hue around your head but no disruption from an embellishments.

This is the ONLY reason an consultant would tell you to buy a second veil. My suggestion would be: A: purchase a Blusher Veil from David's Bridal $20 or B: make one for about $7.

Good Luck and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask, I'm sure i can answer anything you need and if not I can find out for you...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards