Favors

Tulip Favors

So when thinking of favors, I wanted something unique that people could keep to remind them of our wedding for years to come.  The wedding is all tulip themed since it has a very special meaning to me growing up.  So I was thinking of giving everyone a tulip bulb in a favor box with a card saying thanks, the date, our names, and the instructions on how to plant them.  Here is where I need some opinion:
The wedding is in April, and you can't plan tulips until Sep-Oct, will people keep them that long and actually plant them?  And are people actually going to want one lone tulip in their yard?  I thought about having them already in bloom and placed individually on the tables, but turns out that would be waaaay more work/expense than I would care to spend. 

So ladies, what do u think?  Good idea, or should I start thinking of something else?

Re: Tulip Favors

• LindaN21LindaN21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tulips are really nice but I don't know if people would save it til Sep-Oct.  They would need to know how to store it properly until fall.  I think it's a cute idea but maybe also consider something else too, like cookies in the shape of tulips or tulip-shaped candy lollipops.  Something with a tulip theme would be nice.
    Anniversary
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand that you want something "unique" but this is, IMO, a big old waste of money for you.  I love tulips.  I have scores of them planted around my house.  But I simply would not save a single tulip bulb in a box for 6 months before planting it. 

My DD lives in an apartment as do all of her friends.  What use would they have for a tulip bulb?

I'd start thinking of something else.  How about a cookie shaped like a tulip?  How about chocolate tulip lollipops?  You can easily make them yourself with a chocolate mold.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Well, one of the neater things my friend brought me back from Amsterdam was a wooden tulip. When we found out they were made in china, I found a few more and bought them online - they were about a dollar or so each. They're not practical, they are just a decoration, but if you're hell-bent on the tulip idea, google "wood tulip" and see what you can turn up.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_tulip-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:f694cb73-9fa6-4749-8a5b-a02d476b6ff0Post:372a2fea-1ede-4939-9980-b37d86754c17">Re: Tulip Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, one of the neater things my friend brought me back from Amsterdam was a wooden tulip. When we found out they were made in china, I found a few more and bought them online - they were about a dollar or so each. They're not practical, they are just a decoration, but if you're hell-bent on the tulip idea, google "wood tulip" and see what you can turn up.
    Posted by smokyhills[/QUOTE]

You can probably get these on ebay as i had ordered wooden roses to place on each chair for our ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    it's a nice idea, I wouldn't bring it home, people who live in apartments or don't have green thumbs would leave it. what about chocalate pop sicles shaped like tulips ? or some other tulip idea
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, I love this idea...  I live in a garden apartment, and although I do have a garden, I would plant the bulb in a pot, or force it in a bowl.  You could also include instructions on how to grow the bulb indoors. 

It's nice to force a bulb before the season, and I love flowering plants because of the long bloom time. 

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest something else.  I love tulips, but me personally, I would feel bad knowing that a good portion of the tulip bulbs would probably never make it in the ground and just be thrown away.  I'd hate to think about wasting plants like that.
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a really cute idea, even if people don't plant them.  It's something different and "green."  It'd probably be inexpensive as well and goes with your theme.  
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I would like it and like a pp said would probably plant it in a pot inside and then replant it outside when the time was right. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My SIL and brother had fake tulips in potted plants as their favor. Why? I don't know, but they currently adorn my bathroom  as pretty little accents...
    THey must have gotten a great deal on them but they also had TONS left over... but they will last forever.

I fear most of your guests will just toss them, IMHO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_tulip-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:f694cb73-9fa6-4749-8a5b-a02d476b6ff0Post:a8c81160-7b31-4680-9deb-71bf63f704fa">Re: Tulip Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a really cute idea, even if people don't plant them.  It's something different and "green."  It'd probably be inexpensive as well and goes with your theme.  
    Posted by bmoruzzi@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

It's not very green if a good portion of the plants never make it into the ground/potter/whatever.  Then it's just wasteful.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I would leave this behind. 

Honestly, trying for a favour that your guests will look at and "remember your wedding for years to come" is naive at best.  Your wedding is really important to you, not so much to the rest of your guests.  They'll come and celebrate with you, but they're not going to look back at your wedding the same way that you will. 

Give them something they'll actually use, like something edible.  What if you did sugar cookies shaped and decorated like a tulip?  Or chocolate lollipops where the head was a tulip?
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • tlbattagliatlbattaglia member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the idea.  Personally I would bring it home, and I would save it to plant...but that may be because I also love tulips.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards