Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sunday Wedding?

Thinking about having a Sunday wedding. Sunday because most of our guests are traveling from out of state anywhere between 4-14 hours away so I don't feel like it is fair for them to take off Thursday and Friday if we did a Friday wedding. I figured Sunday gives people all day Saturday to travel and then they only have to take off Monday? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: Sunday Wedding?

• Options
    Well, the obvious suggestion of Saturday, where they can hit the road after work on Friday and not have to take any time off.

Or do you observe a Saturday sabbath?  I much prefer a Sunday wedding to one starting Saturday after sundown in the summer.
  • Options
    OP is probably avoiding Saturday b/c of the cost. I would have no problem with a Sunday wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think Sunday definitely seems best for your situation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was going to get married on Sunday for the same reason OP said. I talked to my family who is coming from out of state and found that I wasn't helping them at all by getting married on Sunday. My cousin got married on Sunday and she said if she could do it again, she would never get married on Sunday because very few people were able to come.
  • Options
    I would do Sunday then. However what time were you thinking of having the wedding? A friend of mine got married on a Sunday and her reception didn't end until about 8 an hour away from where I was living. She was a little miffed that I didn't come back to her parents house afterward to hang out with her family but, well, I had to work the next day.
  • Options
    Maybe you can do Sunday afternoon instead of Sunday evening?  People who are a few hours away can drive home afterwards and be home at a reasonable hour.  Like a 1-6pm reception may work.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Sunday weddings because I have to go back to work the next day.  I can party more at a Friday or Saturday wedding.
  • Options
    Not only do people have to return to work the next day... but what do you do if you are serving alcohol on a Sunday night? Some people get drunk at receptions, are hungover, etc...
  • Options
    I think a Sunday afternoon wedding is more practical than a Sunday night wedding, if your crowd works Monday mornings. Check with your VIPs. I myself would not travel for a Sunday wedding regardless of the time, but many others would.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    OP has stated most of the guests are traveling from out of state and will not be at work on Monday then. She is already thinking of people and their jobs, by not wanting them to miss work Thurs AND Fri for a Fri wedding, which is why she posted the question about having it Sunday so Monday is the only day they miss.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We're doing an out of state wedding on a Sunday because travel costs are generally cheaper for Saturday/Monday than for Friday/Sunday and because Sunday is cheaper for us as well. But our guests have to get on planes, so they would need to take a day off of work almost no matter what. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sunday-wedding-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:203fe350-f9ed-46c8-b947-f7f25f608666Post:dd82d2a0-3423-464a-a121-645a32d3af48">Sunday Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thinking about having a Sunday wedding. Sunday because most of our guests are traveling from out of state anywhere between 4-14 hours away so I don't feel like it is fair for them to take off Thursday and Friday if we did a Friday wedding. I figured Sunday gives people all day Saturday to travel and then they only have to take off Monday? Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Posted by Elvisbaby88[/QUOTE]

<div>I would rather attend a Sunday brunch wedding than a Sunday evening wedding.</div>
  • Options
    I'm fine with Sunday weddings if they're in the daytime.
  • Options
    I feel like I have reading fail - why is Saturday not an option?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Just be aware that local people might leave early from a Sunday reception. Those who have a short drive or work early might still work the day after. My best friend had a Sunday wedding in Providence (where we live) and many guests left before the partying was over My sister for instance lives near Boston (hour from Providence)  and she didn't stay at this wedding much later than dinner, as she had to get up for work the next day.
  • Options
    We are getting married on a sunday... Reception will be over by 6-7.   It was a cost option for us.  Helped save us some money that we could use elsewhere.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We are getting married on a Sunday as well. Monday is a national holiday so most of our guests will not be working, and it gives them a free day to travel, as well as not having to take Friday off. It worked for us, and we have gotten a positive response from our guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sunday-wedding-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:203fe350-f9ed-46c8-b947-f7f25f608666Post:aca5cdd1-1b3e-48e6-ac76-ef3bb4ca8cf0">Re: Sunday Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not only do people have to return to work the next day... but what do you do if you are serving alcohol on a Sunday night? Some people get drunk at receptions, are hungover, etc...
    Posted by JBee85[/QUOTE]

<div>This. Even without drinking, driving all day would make me tired, and run down for work on Monday. But you know your guests better than we do.</div>
  • Options
    I truly think the success in a Sunday wedding is all about the timing.  If you have an early afternoon wedding followed by the reception people will stay.  Get great music and a great DJ and you will have a good party.  When you go later afternoon and into the evening, people will most likely leave very early.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Sunday Wedding?:[QUOTE]We got married on a Sunday. Ceremony at three, then cocktail hour, dinner at 5, over at 9. Many of the local guests stayed at the hotel and then headed to work from there Monday morning. Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

This is almost the exact same timeline we're using for our wedding in November, except without the cocktail hour. Part of the reason we picked our Sunday is because it's Daylight Savings Day, so we get an extra hour in the morning for sleep or getting ready. I definitely see nothing wrong with Sunday weddings. Run it by your VIP's to make sure it works for them. Honestly, there will be no date or time that works for all of your guests, so I think as long as you pick one that works for you and your VIP's it doesn't really matter. I do agree with others that an afternoon start time would probably work better than an evening one.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're having a Sunday wedding as well, mostly because of the cost. We're having an early afternoon wedding and then a reception that will end around 7 or 8. That way guests that are closer can drive home and guests from OOT can get to a hotel pretty early and maybe catch an overnight flight if they must (we live pretty close to a few airports, though, so that helps). As far as the drinking goes, you can't control that. Adults will do what they do. If they know they need to drive or will feel terrible the next morning, they should skip that shot and have soda instead. You can't control that. Just my two cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to a Sunday evening wedding (7pm start) in Indianapolis a few years ago... partied with the groom until midnight since we hardly ever get to see him, only to wake up at 4am, drop my FI off at the airport to catch a plane back to Iowa while I proceeded to drive 4.5 hours back to St. Louis to make it into work on time.
    I did it... but it was rough. FI ended up having to take the day off because he was too tired.

As PPs have said, if Saturday really is out of the question, Sunday afternoon would be better because there's more chance that some might still be able to make it into work on Monday.
  • Options
    I am doing a Sunday afternoon wedding. We picked Sunday because they have a discount for Sundays at our dream wedding venue so we could actually afford to have it there. Plus Monday is a national holiday and most people have it off, if not then they will be able to leave early enough to have ample time to make it home and relax. Our reception will end by 5pm but we are going to have an after party for our bridal party and friends since most of them are OOT and not going home to monday night!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards