Flowers

Peonies in September?

Gyaa! So I'm trying to figure out how to make this work...

My fiance and I are getting married in Chicago on September 23rd, 2012. The -only- flowers I'm going to need for the day is my bouquet, and all I want are peonies and/or garden roses, in shades of red (to match my BM dresses). Yet all I'm getting from vendors are "they're out of season". I've only communicated with potential florists through email (I live 3 hours away from Chicago).

Is there really no way to get this flower in September? I know they aren't in peak season, but there is no way to order flowers? I am HONESTLY clueless in this area, so if that's the case, I can try to move on from there.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Peonies in September?

• flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes they can get them from new Zealand......tell them to contact one of the wholesalers...Kennicott's in particular....I suggest you l;ook for a trendier florist....peonies can be had all year round.  You must be prepared to pay for them however.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't agree with flower diva...Peonies are NOT available around here is september without a major act of God or a really comitted florist. Even if you could have them shipped from south of the equator you would have to order a lot to make it happen and I think your odds are quite slim. 

Better to ajust your thinking. 

There are fabulous garden roses from California

and they are fragrant and nice and fresh.. Or you can tale a look at Dahlias... very much in season and spectacularly beautiful with many shades of reds available. 

Best of luck!

• edited December 2011
    Imported peonies started showing up around here in the North East late October. They were incredibly expensive, but they were here. Maybe $13/stem? I agree with flower_diva. It's worth investigating. Contact some very high end and designer florists and see what they can do. Absolutely you'll end up paying top dollar, but like you say, if you're only having a bouquet and no other flowers, it'll be worth it to have exactly what you want. And chances are you can find a florist who will be ordering more poenies for other fancy purposes. Maybe try some chic floral designers in Chicago? And be prepared to shell out big bucks!
  • edited December 2011
    My sister-in-law tried to get peonies for her wedding which was in September several years ago, she found a florist to do it but they were $60/stem and she had to buy a whole big box of them.
  • I would look into Ranaculas?  They look really similar to peonies and are cheaper. Otherwise fiftyflowers.com sells peonies year round
  • I also was looking into Ranunculas, and also Dahlias and garden roses b/c I too want deep red peonies in September. wholeblossoms.com has peonies year round but I'm not sure what their prices are compared to others as I haven't done much research yet. Please give an update if you find them b/c I definitely want them too, but was also hoping for all bridesmaids and centerpieces (just a since stem in a couple milk glass vases per table)! I'm thinking I may just mix all of the above mentioned flowers with the peonies to save on cost...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards