Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal shower

Is it wrong that I only invited a feww family and friends to my shower? Now Im being questioned about why I didnt send certain cousins invites to it and its because they were pretty nasty to me when I eas younger and I never see or talk to them, now Im forced to invite them......Im just really upset about the whole thing!

Re: Bridal shower

• Options
    Showers for some people are for the closest family and friends to the bride (and groom). Other people invite every female that is invited to the wedding to the shower.

Are these cousins invited to the wedding? If not, then it was proper etiquette not to invite them. If they are invited to the wedding you will just have to suck it up and invite them to the shower.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You really should't be doing the inviting.  BUT- yes, it's fine to only have a few guests at the shower.  If your family asks why, just say you want to keep it small/intimate.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c00af15-b0ed-40de-b228-537747a4cbaaPost:ff222dca-0823-490a-9412-de617b9da65d">Re: Bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Showers for some people are for the closest family and friends to the bride (and groom). Other people invite every female that is invited to the wedding to the shower. Are these cousins invited to the wedding? If not, then it was proper etiquette not to invite them.<strong> If they are invited to the wedding you will just have to suck it up and invite them to the shower.</strong>
    Posted by erollis[/QUOTE]

Not true.  You don't have to invite every female who is invited to the wedding.
  • Options
    I know you don't have to. If everyone is making such a big stink about invites to the shower it sounds it would just be easier to suck it up and not have the family drama.

Then again if you are paying for your own shower you do have control of the guest list and can do what you want. If someone else is hosting the shower then I think they would get some say who is invited. Money= strings (sadly).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c00af15-b0ed-40de-b228-537747a4cbaaPost:796b95bd-97d1-4202-bf2b-19fbc31953e5">Re: Bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you don't have to. If everyone is making such a big stink about invites to the shower it sounds it would just be easier to suck it up and not have the family drama. <strong>Then again if you are paying for your own shower you do have control of the guest list and can do what you want. If someone else is hosting the shower then I think they would get some say who is invited. </strong>Money= strings (sadly).

You should never be hosting your own shower.  This shouldn't even be a question.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I know it is not proper etiquette to throw yourself your own shower/ bachelorette/ birthday party/ anything that is about you. People do though. So it could be a possibility.

It really is up to you OP what you decide to do. How you handle this situation is ultimately up to you (invite/not invite/ what you say to people/ etc.). Ball is in your court.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c00af15-b0ed-40de-b228-537747a4cbaaPost:796b95bd-97d1-4202-bf2b-19fbc31953e5">Re: Bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you don't have to. If everyone is making such a big stink about invites to the shower it sounds it would just be easier to suck it up and not have the family drama. <strong>Then again if you are paying for your own shower you do have control of the guest list and can do what you want.</strong> If someone else is hosting the shower then I think they would get some say who is invited. Money= strings (sadly).

Um noooooo, because you never ever host your own shower, never.
  • Options
    Who is making you invite them?  Have you explained that you don't get along with these cousins and would rather have a more intimate shower?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know people who have thrown their own showers, mainly because they had some family issues. Her mom was ill, and not mobile, and her friends helped, but she paid for it and helped her mom.  No one thought twice about it.

I'm in a place where my mom is deceased, and my father is being a lame-o....and i really don't want to place the financial burden on people that I was placed in for a few other brides.  My FI is pushing me to stay out and let my MOH and BMs do everything, but it just feels weird to have them pay for the party.

So OP, in my opinion, you should invite who you want. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards