Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Affordable, indoors venues that allow off-site catering?

I hope it's okay for me to start a new thread about this. I promise I've done my research and read the existing posts on the forum! I'm just wondering if I have overlooked anything.

So I'm putting together a list of potential venues that I like so I can maybe come to town and visit them in a couple of weeks. I am including a few that have on-site catering because they seem like nice places and are well priced, BUT the quality of the food is really important to me (and specifically to my guy, who said that's basically #1 to him in setting this whole thing up).

I don't know whether I would feel comfortable booking a place that has its own on-site catering if I can't sample the food first. I understand why places won't have a tasting until you've booked a date - it's a much smarter decision for them financially - but that makes me unsure what I should do.

So I thought it might be easiest to find a place that allows outside catering. IDEALLY I'd want it to be close to Plano because that's where my family is (and where some of our OOT guests are staying).

I'm leaving off Winfrey Point and the Filter for outdoors/cost purposes...

My list so far that allow it:
Heard Museum
Spring Park
Event1013
Colleyville Community Center
Irving Arts Center

Am I overlooking anything? Event1013 is a little expensive for my tastes, although it is really phenomenally beautiful in the photos. So cheaper than that if possible.

Thank you ladies so much!

Re: Affordable, indoors venues that allow off-site catering?

• Options
    aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, the Heard museum is one of the cheapest places in the area- but it is nearly completely DIY. BUT, they don't require security guard or servers or bartenders- so you save around 300+$ there. My biggest problem was the amount of space and the dancefloor (lack thereof). By the time I rented linens, dishes, dancefloor, lighting, and brought in my own alcohol, it was cheaper to go to a non DIY place.  EDIT: I actually put a deposit down here and later changed my mind because I thought it would be too small. I am having around 110 guests. 

Event 1013 does have more to offer- in addition to a multi-space room. Have you tried maybe seeing if you could have your wedding on a Friday or Sunday to save costs? 

If you are having a smaller wedding, have you looked at the Frisco Heritage Center? It is 1100$ for a four hour rental on a Saturday and 850 for a Sunday/Friday. EDIT: Cheaper if you are a Frisco resident.

Also in McKinney, Chestnut Square and the Flour Mill ($2500 Saturday rental, 2000$ Sunday/Friday Rental- w/ tables, chairs, linens) might be worth checking out. 

Depending on your vision, The Landing at Myer's Park is very affordable- 7 hour rental with Alcohol Permitted for 1500$, and can fit up to 250 guests.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only other ones on our list that I see are the Dallas Arts Center, the Old Red Courthouse, and the McKinney Cotton Mill--but I would think all would be on the upper end pricewise.

If you are considering a venue with good catering, we've had several girls get married at the Addison Event Center and they all really liked it.

ETA:  Fairy Tale Manor in Frisco is another one.
  • Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Our reception was at Addison Event Center, and they have amazing on-site catering. They hold a taste-test one night a month (usually the 3rd Thursday), and if you haven't booked the venue, it is $10/pp for up to 4 people. If you end up booking the venue, they will reimburse you or apply that amount to your event cost. They don't offer their entire menu at the taste test (it is buffet style), but they have a few chicken dishes and most of their side dishes. What we had at the taste test was very good, but my expectations were definitely exceeded the night of the wedding. We had rave reviews for weeks after.

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I just say that a tasting doesn't always work out?  There have been a couple of girls who did tastings, walked away very happy but then had bad food experiences when it came time for the wedding.  There's a huge difference in preparing one meal (which you split with your DH if he goes) and preparing 100+ meals.  While a tasting would be a plus in my book too, it just doesn't always mean 100% that that's what you're going to get at your wedding. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the Addison Event Center does a tasting for as many people as RSVP, and people say good things about the food, then I am optimistic that the tasting would be pretty accurate... right?

Thank you, courtski, for telling me about that! Now I have to figure out when they're doing it next and try to plan my venue visits around that. If it isn't until Nov. 17, I wonder if that means every place will be booked for next October by then... I'm so worried that I won't be able to find anywhere because I'm not looking far enough in advance!

aeliza, your insight is very helpful. I finally looked into the cost of renting everything myself (for the Heard) and yikes! It gets pricey, not to mention probably a headache to coordinate. I hadn't really thought about that as much as I should have.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my reception at Addison Theater and Conference Center. You can have anyone cater that is in the city of Addison. Also you can provide your own alcohol if that is something you are interested in. Tables, chairs, tableclothes included, very modern, they let you use all the cool furniture they have if you want. And pretty lansdcaping to take pictures! Theres more stuff included but I can't think right now!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoa. I've never heard of that place, but it's gorgeous! I guess I'll call them about pricing/site visit today, since they don't have pricing on their website. I hope they're in my budget.

Thank you <3

(This forum really is the best)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Mckinney Performing Arts Center as well. Packages ranging from 2750 to 1250.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I attended Courtskis wedding at addison event center and the food was very yummy, so I would suggest checking them out.

I got married at Fairy Tale Manor and they were wonderful and allow all outside vendors if you want.  They are pricey but what they include with the price is really worth it in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards